Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#319717 Tue Apr 17 2012 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well,just got the verdict on the motor for the spinner sign,and...IT WORKS! Heres the thing..this motor was having some issues,sometimes it took awhile to get going,and I broke a wire when I removed it from the body.now this particular motor looks like your normal synchron,but it's not...

First thing is it only has 1 shaft,no minute or hour shaft.second..it spins at. 2 rpm,twice a normal motor.well,after taking another one apart(it was no good) I decided this was not a job for a butterfingered,pump collector like me.again to keep it original as possible,and I am not sure what the effect a slower motor would have on the illusion.after reading about them on the net,most accounts said that these were not made to be fixed,only replaced.well..enter Mr Mike Murray. I found mikes website on the net,and after first reading it,I thought "holy cow,this isn't cheap,and this guy doesn't take no *****!)) but then after reading the site closely,I figured that if anyone could fix this,it would be him. Here's the site.
http://www.telechron.us/synchron.html
Then I talked to him on the phone,had a great,and friendly conversation,and realized I was right!sent out my motor,along with my payment grin and waited.
Here's what mike found...
Mick,

There are two problems.  First is that the connection you wanted me to check.  One was good and one was no good.  I cannot even see the wire,
so there is nothing to connect to.  I'm going to try and use another Model 600 body and pray that works.  It should but I can't be sure because I've
never done that before.

Second, which is in the picture, is the pinion at the end of the rotating disc is cracked and therefore cannot "hold" the shaft.  I was hoping to change
the pinion with another but then I discovered the first problem.  In the picture, I "red" arrowed the pinion  and the shaft it is suppose to mount onto.

Basically, if it works, you will have the original rotating disc and shaft mounted onto a replacement pinion.  The body will be from another motor
entirely but the cap and the waste strap with the wires will be original.

So we'll see.

Mike

Well just got the news...
   Done and it's running at 2 RPM.  It must be in the gearing which makes sense because then they could mass produce the body of the motor.

I'm going to allow it to run a few days to see how it does and how warm it gets.  I should be shipping this Monday the 23rd via Priority Mail and
will send you the tracking information as will the carrier.
So another piece of the puzzle is done! Now all that remains is to get all the pieces back together. Big thanks to Mike,and hope to have some news from Kathleen soon!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the link Mick. I'm looking forward to seeing this baby.

Last edited by JimT; Tue Apr 17 2012 07:44 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Motors back,and reinstalled

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV25lWA7MJ4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Now you know how a spinner works!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good Mick!! How is the Face coming?

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is the top of the teardrop neon tube supposed to be painted black? or does it actually light something up?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Still waiting for word on the face.supposed to see something this week.
Not sure what you mean doc?the tube is one piece,actually separated at the very top center

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
the minute I saw this clock for sale i knew it was a great piece that needed some tlc. I have to say I am so glad you are giving this super clock a new life. Keep up the good work looks great so far!!!!!!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks guys.doc I reread and I don't think the top of the teardrop was ever painted.think it helps light up the lady better.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dr. Mickenstein (or Mick N. Stein) LOL!

You're probably right about it not being painted black. I'm trying to "Dockenstein" two separate (non-petro) neon units together myself currently. I just have to find the correct electronic transformer.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved