Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
bppierce #313952 Wed Mar 21 2012 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I always get a kick out of the people that say, "I am a "collector, NOT a reseller!"
I think it would be hard to build a collection without sellers.....
I have never passed a good deal because I already had one, or didn't have room for something or didn't want to keep it for myself.

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: always lookin
Come to the northern states, they wont "give" you anything. smile

That is an incorrect statement .. just as TBird

Ive been given stuff by friends that I will always keep. There are also other things Ive bought cheap and sold for double.

I see no problem with it

Last edited by TILLER; Wed Mar 21 2012 06:31 PM.

Dan
bppierce #313970 Wed Mar 21 2012 06:38 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Profit is part of the game, its how we keep the lights on. However, I enjoy trading "up" just as much or more than selling a good piece. I traded a completely restored Erie computer pump for an unrestored simplex once. Sometimes you can gain an upper edge without exchanging money, as long as both parties are satisfied with the deal.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
For quite a long time,I have bartered.I trade my work for a collectible piece a person may have.We both walk away happy with the deal.We both were satisfied with the transaction and money was not changed hands.There are a lot of ways to trade with somone in this life without a currency exchange.JM2C
Robert

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
moore798 #313981 Wed Mar 21 2012 07:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: moore798
For quite a long time,I have bartered.I trade my work for a collectible piece a person may have.We both walk away happy with the deal.We both were satisfied with the transaction and money was not changed hands.There are a lot of ways to trade with somone in this life without a currency exchange.JM2C
Robert

sometimes money won't get you what you want, when only a trade will.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
moore798 #313986 Wed Mar 21 2012 07:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Well a strange thing happened to me 2 weeks ago I found a sign on craigslist that I wanted , went and bought it for full price that I thought was fair and now the guy wants it back. He says he should not have sold it and his wife said get it back. He offered me $200 more than I paid for it. not sure what to make of that but I do just collect and not sell.I think he must have had a better offer I think I'll keep it.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
coheley5 #313989 Wed Mar 21 2012 07:27 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yeah,I would keep it too!I guess he did not have his wife's permission.She may be MAD for a long time!LOL

Robert

Searching For SunRay DX and Diamond Oil Signs
moore798 #314011 Wed Mar 21 2012 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Really.... we are having this discussion? I don't care if you paid $2 at a garage sale and want to sell it to me for $200 if I want it and feel like its worth that then I will buy it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #314203 Thu Mar 22 2012 08:44 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess I'm just a dinosaur, but a grown man trying to renig on a sale... whatever happened to honor and pride and ethics and dignity ???

True Mr. Jarvis, even if I were standing beside you when you paid the 2 bucks. Or even moreso, if you paid the 2 bucks to me and I'm standing beside you when you then sell it for the 200.

Collecting the Mississippi companies:
Billups, Southland, Rose Oil,Crystal Oil, Barq's
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dave R.
...but a grown man trying to renig on a sale... whatever happened to honor and pride and ethics and dignity ???

He FORGOT he gave the sign to wife After she got Peed Off when he bought it! smile

coheley5 #314214 Thu Mar 22 2012 09:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: coheley5
Well a strange thing happened to me 2 weeks ago I found a sign on craigslist that I wanted , went and bought it for full price that I thought was fair and now the guy wants it back. He says he should not have sold it and his wife said get it back. He offered me $200 more than I paid for it. not sure what to make of that but I do just collect and not sell.I think he must have had a better offer I think I'll keep it.

I'd keep it too- something doesn't sound right.. cool

RANDY
bppierce #314215 Thu Mar 22 2012 09:26 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think its about the Sport of it. I have found items in all three; ebay, flea markets. and trade shows. I guess there is a thrill of something special in a pile of junk. It was for me. I've made money in each but I have to say that my best find was at a flea market. Second best ebay.

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Originally Posted By: bustermonty
Dave, What you say strikes home with me. The knowledge I have gained collecting has enabled me to spot a value. It has also provided me with a sense of what something might be worth should I purchase the value priced item. Every now and then I get a ebay seller to end their auction and some folks here call that greed. It's free enterprise at it's best. I may offer $500 for an item worth $1000. I then make a profit. Is that different than what any picker does? I'm an ebay picker. Free world,sellers item, end your auction if you like my offer. Plain and simple. Labeling it greed is wrong in my opinion.
Now who doesn't like cash?

Dear Bustermonty

So you ask a seller to end an auction early "KNOWING" there's a good chance you can turn a $500.00 profit on it. You ruin the chance for all the fair players on ebay to win the item for something they want for their "COLLECTION, you knowingly just screwed the seller, then you come on here over the years asking if something is legit ? You call that free trading, I call that ***** worst than GREED !!!

Another thing on here that most members do not know are the rules & regulations for ending a auction. Don't ask me what they are. Go and read them yourselves.

blacktee #314225 Fri Mar 23 2012 04:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Black T, It is all about Honesty, Integrety, Ethics. Many posts on Oldgas recently has given me a good insight over who I will do business with, I don't care what they are selling/wanting to buy, I will keep my dealings with people that would treat me the same.

And the rules do quite clearly state WHEN and Why you can end an auction early, Once again those few will interpret it to their liking.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
blacktee #314226 Fri Mar 23 2012 04:36 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blacktee, I'm trying to keep this civil. We will never see eye to eye on this one. Ebay is like the wild west to me. Life in general is not fair. Many times I've offered more than the item sold for. I only had to miss an item I wanted one time to learn that if you don't ask for it, many times you won't get it. I make an offer and they accept. Free world, no seller screwed. No different than striking a deal at a show or sale. What is wrong with asking if an item is legit on this site? I thought that's one of the benefits of oldgas. I applaud your integrity and loyalty to ebay and the buyers and sellers. I just don't feel the same way. Ebay allows repop ***** to be sold as legit (hence my questions on oldgas) There are so many dishonest sellers on ebay it's a joke, yet you defend it like a major stock holder. Can we agree to disagree?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved