Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
gulfiend! #308808 Thu Mar 01 2012 01:13 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
wait a minute...what's wrong with a drunken sailor???? I resemble that remark....chuck

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I won't comment on that, other than to say that I know you're not running around buying 1965 GOC-spec pumps, restored with 1940's Shell logos for $4600+! grin

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Wow !! Now there are some that are insulting people who work on things to make them better than original, have pride in their work and have others that like it that way too.
Ever buy or have a custom house built or do it your self? A simple two bedroom with a bath would do as it was 75 years ago! Everyone likes thing a little different and if they have money does that mean that they are real stupid or really stupid for liking it better than something else.
Lets just go with people at an auction sometimes get carried away, and I see the example and I do agree with that example as shown.
People fix trucks to ride high and look different than what was original off the show room floor, but are they not as smart as others? Or the guy that likes what he did and then does it to his truck ? Is he more stupid because he makes it just a little bit higher?
I like original and I like restored better than original, and I have people that like it also and I do not work for $5.00 per hour neither does the painter, plating person, striper, or the guy that makes the repro parts.
I probably make less than most people on here, but If I like something and I want it, it is up to me to decide if it is right for me and if I can figure out a way to get it.
It's my money, I earned it, and will spend it if IN MY MIND I think its worth it.
Scott Benjamin sold me a beautiful Standard thermometer twenty years ago that was over priced to me, but as he said sometimes you pay top money for something you want and it will go up When you buy the best. I GOT THE THERMOMETER AND HE WAS SO RIGHT THEN WITH THAT STATEMENT and it is RIGHT NOW FOR ME. I was then and am now so happy with that purchase, should have listened to him more twenty years ago though.

Craig
gulfiend! #308838 Thu Mar 01 2012 02:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...not sure what being well-informed about a subject/pastime has to do with being a 'big' or 'small' dog...and overpaying for real quality is not always a bad thing - over the long term, it often is a good investment...I'm talking about overpaying for common stuff that will not hold its value...

...pretty much EXACTLY what you're saying about your Standard thermometer, right?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
gulfiend! #308843 Thu Mar 01 2012 03:04 PM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Yes, but I can't tell someone who likes collectibles, has the money to do so, not to do it.
Hate buying a car because I know it is going down and I will be taking a hit. Need one and do not want to be told or made fun of because I may not like the most economical. We all like things that may not make sense to others.

Craig
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Hey mark..your right on that. I have overpaid here and there for stuff i have to have, but of course am always hoping for a good deal! For that price, that GOC pump better be able to...well, never mind! chuck

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved