Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#296937 Thu Jan 12 2012 06:36 PM
Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I thought this picture posted by Kenny on -Great Old Pics- was pretty cool.

Knowing it may vary from state to state and country to country, what is the breakdown of the cost of a gallon now?

a27.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Approx. 17.8487 Times what is shown above!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
times have changed..

RANDY
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
I was up in Pa a few weeks ago and noticed the tax sticker, I think it was about $.55 a gallon.

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I believe new York has highest taxes???

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wonder what's under the "U Drive It CARS" painted sign.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Today's version of the same sign....

gas_prices.jpg

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
I wonder what's under the "U Drive It CARS" painted sign.
Electric cars charged here! LOL

Rare pumps, Chevrolet items, Goldon Tip Gasoline, Marathon (running man)
Cell # 1-502-396-3435 email lowright@aol.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Everyone might be a little surprised by what your individual state tax is on gas?

Here is a chart I found on the net:

Information dated July,1,2011

http://www.commonsensejunction.com/notes/gas-tax-rate.html

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Alaska here I come..

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: coldpizza
Alaska here I come..

Enjoy the weather! LOL!

Seems as though NY isn't the highest taxed State...CT is. You would think HI would be(?).

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Nicole Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So what was the RR and the agent, and are there such things now?

A mechanic we used one time before we moved, who ran a gas station, said he made very little profit on the gas, that his income was from the mechanical work.

The WaWa's and 7-11 gas stations in our area derive their income from getting people inside to buy twinkies, cig's and soda. Is that also how the Shell, Mobile and Sunoco stations make their $$$? They used to have a few things at the counter, but most of them seem to have converted into quick stop stores as well.

I'm guessing the pay at the pump with credit/debit cards have reduced the traffic inside.

Any agent or RR charges now?

Thanks for your responses!

Last edited by Nicole; Fri Jan 13 2012 06:26 PM.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Here in the great BROKE state of arizona we pay .74 cents a gallon in taxes alone. Stations here work on about .10 to .18 cents a gallon profit ,probably not enough to pay the light bill.But the merchandice inside the store they work on 70 to 80 percent profit.
Survey's show that the pay at pump have increased cash customers paying inside. people pay credit outside and walk inside and pay cash. Soon we will have a phone app. to pay at the pump.And they will probable TAX that to.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Nicole,

It's been awhile and I'm happy to see that your interest in history continues and your sharp eye catches things.From what I know,that pic is 1938 and taken by Dorothea Lange (she was good!!)in Santa Fe.

If that is true,in 1938 I would bet that the gas was delivered by railroad,hence the RR,and was shipped through a broker,agent, of some sort.In 1938,a RR would have been the most dependable form of delivery,IMO,and an "agent" AKA wholesaler would have been the supplier also selling to other stations.

Today,many deliveries are made from terminals supplied by pipe lines to tank farms and distributed by tanker trucks.

I'm just going on NM history and location of supply sources.I f anyone else has other thoughts,I wold love to hear them.

Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: azjockey
Here in the great BROKE state of arizona we pay .74 cents a gallon in taxes alone. Stations here work on about .10 to .18 cents a gallon profit ,probably not enough to pay the light bill.But the merchandice inside the store they work on 70 to 80 percent profit.
Survey's show that the pay at pump have increased cash customers paying inside. people pay credit outside and walk inside and pay cash. Soon we will have a phone app. to pay at the pump.And they will probable TAX that to.

I'm going to challenge those numbers a little bit.

No way are convenience stores operating on 80% profit margins. Smokes, lottery tickets, and beer are highly ompetitive and are the staples of any C-store, no way are they making that kind of profit. Now, coffee and other beverage sales...maybe.

Around here there aren't very many independent owners....around here gas stations fall in three categories.

1. Company operated. They own the product from the refinery to the nozzle. Actually most..from the oil field to the nozzle. Regardless of what they tell you in the media..there is absolutely no way you can determine their final profit at the pump...my guess....20 cents plus per gallon.

2. Mega jobbers. The jobbers have filled in the void left behind by the oil companies that leveraged us dealers out in the late eighties/early nineties. Usually you will have one or two major jobbers left in a market. They have battled it out amongst themselves to where only the strongest survived. If you're a mega jobber you're probably doing okay filling in the gaps that the oil companies either don't want or can't handle. Profit margin...who knows, I'm sure it's decent.

3. Independent station/c store owners. And..I never knew this until recently, the reason so many of them are of a certain ethnicity is because they get HUGE tax breaks to go into business. Once their tax holiday season is over they transfer ownership to another member of the family. This affords them the opportunity to increase their profit margin on gas and stay competitive with the big boys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved