Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
E
J.E.......sorry to have to correct you, but you are dead wrong......ebay messages doesn't allow e-mail addresses to go from member to member.....in the old days they would, but not anymore......check it out for yourself.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
People will still only pay what they want to pay,,at least I do or will,,, we are adults here, not kids,,seems your taking this Ebay BUSINESS away to serious,,,if it's no big deal why are you so concerned ? Your right it is just stuff.. but to some it's a way of making a living and business is business, why are you so concerned if ebay is making money or not?

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: ebaygenious
J.E.......sorry to have to correct you, but you are dead wrong......ebay messages doesn't allow e-mail addresses to go from member to member.....in the old days they would, but not anymore......check it out for yourself.

I wanted to see for myself. So I sent myself an eBay message from one of my accounts to another with one of my junk email addresses in the body.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
People will still only pay what they want to pay,,at least I do or will,,, we are adults here, not kids,,seems your taking this Ebay BUSINESS away to serious,,,if it's no big deal why are you so concerned ? Your right it is just stuff.. but to some it's a way of making a living and business is business, why are you so concerned if ebay is making money or not?

confused I am a businessman, I know Good business practice and I know Greed and Deceit. Did you know there is a difference

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You're right.
I just sent my sister a message through ebay,with my email address in the message,and she just emailed me back with same type of reply you're showing.Email addy & all.

Email addresses do come through an ebay reply.If they're monitoring them,they're not monitoring all of them.

A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
Interesting debate !! It is my business and my stuff, that I worked very hard to get. I have never set a high reserve and then contact a buyer who was the high bidder. It just does not seem right to the other bidders.
I very rarely use reserves, unless I have no idea what an item is worth and just want to see what it will bring. If I know its a good item and I know people will pay, I start it at 9 bucks and let them fight for it(I always get more for an item this way.) If I know its a good item, but believe there will be very few bidders, I start the auction at the lowest I can take. I have ended a couple auctions early. One time I had 2 wheel horse suburban tractor signs. I had 30 bucks in each and no idea of value. I listed them at a starting bid of 90 bucks, starting bid. A guy contacted me and said, "I have been searching for those for 20 years". He offered me 700.00 each. Since I had no other bidders, I took his offer.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
If your in business ( a businessman ) do you check with your suppliers to make sure they are making enough money on items your buying from them ? My point was , why are you so concerned with Ebay getting scammed..No body is getting scammed into anything, the person buying is only paying what he wants to and agreeds to pay , however the seller get there, and Ebays allows sellers to end their auction... the only person not happy is the one who didn't want to step up and pay for what he wants.

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sun Dec 18 2011 07:52 AM.

Wes.......
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
and if KZ1000 wouldn't do the same thing, then he is a rare guy,,,,

Wes.......
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
KZ - would the type of auction listing you are referring to happen to be related to a certain very recent discussion here on old gas (which I can't seem to find on the site anymore?) about auctions from someone in your area of the country? And of course, I don't mean you.

I was watching that discussion and wondering how everyone was ignoring the elephant in the room?

I agree these are two different discussions in this thread. I agree with Wes on ending listings, but agree with you on what you are describing - that is not right.

A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
I have my phone number in every auction. Just in case someone wants to step up and make a high offer. Amistadi used it once. I swear he called 10 seconds after I listed a sign. I still do not know how he did that....:)

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
quoting Wes: "Don't be so disgruntled with a seller for ending their auction early and selling to someone else, all they are trying to do is get the most for their item and all your trying to do is buy it for the cheapest by waiting till near the end of the auction ( sniping),,,what you the buyer is ticked off with is that you didn't get it cheap and someone else bought it.. the owner has the best options and should have, as he is the one with the money invested in the item. So if you want the item bad enough bid early and bid high that way you won't be dissapointed... :):):):):) Just my opinion.."

very well said Wes! As a seller if I have an item listed, and I have an idea what it's worth - if it is not getting any bids and I find a real buyer - I'm selling it. And although I don't like paying them- Wes is dead on about the fees for Ebay. Paypal, I don't like paying any more than I do Visa - still hoping technology yields us a more reasonable transaction charge for transferring OUR money - but that's another topic.

Last edited by Signs&Neons; Sun Dec 18 2011 08:15 AM. Reason: add quote to clarify which response
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
KZ1000, lets use this for an example,,, you have an antique store downtown, you paid $100 for a sign,,, you think you got a real bargin and you put it up in your store for $900 , it sits there for a couple of months and some guys look at it and two of them make you a offer, one is $450 and the other is $650,,, you let it sit there for another month and you don't get anymore offers, which guy are you going call back and ask if he wants to buy the sign ?

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Go to a local auction company and let them sell your stuff for 25% then when a buyer comes in interested... try to go get your item and sell it directly to him. Let me know how that works for you!
Does that sounds stupid because it is! But many of you do it on ebay. I hear it all the time... ebay has plenty of money! They are still the best at selling items with the lowest cost to the seller period other than the free sites but not many use those.

People need to understand... you want it... get a price in your mind and go with it. If i see something on ebay i really want i will ask the seller if he has a buy it now. Why because i know others do it and i don't want to miss it. If he says no... then i say don't end it with out me getting a chance to buy it.

I have always said this... people that are in this hobby for strictly money are the ones not having any fun! Period!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Thats exactly what I've been saying only in different words,,read all the blogs on this from the beginning..my words ,,,,long story short, if you don't like the sellers on ebay don't bid on the item..

Wes.......
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
This topic has been beaten to death. Everyone on here comes from different backgrounds. I think what Rick is trying to say is this is not ethical and he is 110 percent CORRECT. This brought me to a good quote from the movie Wall Street "Someone reminded me I once said, 'Greed is good' Now it seems that it's legal because everyone is drinking the same Kool-Aid.". Do you think it is ethical to do something if "everyone" is doing it? I have complained about eBay fees in the past but on the other hand eBay is a cheap way to sell your item and most of the time get maximum dollar at a DISCOUNTED price. Think of what an auction house gets? Compare and you will see why in some cases eBay is the way to go. Many people have said " who cares eBay doesn't need the money". This is bs because eBay even though a big corporation,it is stil a business that has expenses, creates jobs, and helps us sell our stuff. I am not one to point fingers but in some cases it looks like people are using eBay for FREE exposure. It is the right for a person to list and item with a reserve because it's their item and they can set the price. But if a person consistently abuses the system and uses it for free exposure that is unethical.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved