Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
A recent post made me wonder if anyone here has heard of this? You list an item, put a very high reserve on it, wait to see what the high bid is with reserve not met, if you will take that bid you contact buyer outside ebay and sell it to him. Its all done outside ebay and paypal. When its an item worth thousands, you save lots of money.
Have you seen this?

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Sure, ebay has been around for quite a while now and this has pretty much been going on since the beginning. I believe ebay tries to stop a lot of wrong doings as it's only money out of their own pocket, but bottom line is that there is no perfect fix for every problem

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Fair, Hell No, the people doing it are Untrustworthy, Shady, Crooked,etc. and Nobody I would ever deal with. I pride myself in Honesty and dealing with Honest people that don't try to beat the system any way they can.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Fair, Hell No, the people doing it are Untrustworthy, Shady, Crooked,etc. and Nobody I would ever deal with. I pride myself in Honesty and dealing with Honest people that don't try to beat the system any way they can.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
A
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
A
I see it being done on high end items. I wonder how they get away with it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Because eBay can't stop it. When I list an item, I own it, and I can do whatever I want with the item. Hopefully, I'll follow the rules established by eBay, but I don't have to. I can end my auction early (up to 24 hours early) or I can put a ridiculously high reserve on the item and communicate with perspective buyers off of eBay.

You have to take the good with the bad on eBay. Just my opinion.

E
E
Well, what some of guys are forgetting is.....the only way you can communicate with that high bidder initially, is through ebay......nowaday, you can't can't send your e-mail address to him thru ebay messages the old conventional way......you have to disguise it.......now, remember ebay can read any e-mail ever sent thru their message system but they can't police all e-mail because of sheer volume. However.....if if they catch wind of it and read an e-mail where one person says "let's do a deal outside of e-bay." They can, and have give that person(s) the heave ho......forever...the ebay death sentence. And before you say...well, I'll just register another name.......it's WAY more complicated than that....you, yourself will not be able to get back on...it'll boil down to having to use someone else's account ( or wife), even through they do pay attention to IP addresses.....so that computer at that location is dead as far as getting back on.........bottom line........if you do it, you're taking a BIG chance.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
GREED. Plain & Simple.
WE ALL break rules every day, one way or another [speed limits, is just one of many].

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have never disguised my email address before in an eBay message to a seller/buyer. Perhaps eBay of old might have been proactive on monitoring this type of activity, but the current eBay doesn't appear to monitor any of this. eBay's bread and butter is no longer in collectibles it's now in new merchandise, so perhaps they have lightened up on their monitoring activities.

I watch A LOT of auctions on eBay, and I see a good number end early (and we all know why, and it's not because there was an "error" in the listing).

Dick is right, the reason why people circumvent the eBay policies is because of greed.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
just some food for thought:
ebay is an advertising medium- you PAY to list an item for sale. You may have it for sale in other mediums - craigs, oldgas, website, etc.. Should one of these options produce a real buyer who is willing to pay your price - why not end the listing and sell it to him? Now, I don't agree with this action once a reserve is met - as then in my opinion you have committed to sell. Especially on the high dollar items mentioned above - with ebay/paypal fees through the roof - sometime a "bird in the hand" is way to go. Could you possibly get more later? Maybe yes, maybe no. I don't see it as greed, but a business decision. Just a different point of view for consideration. My 2 cents. thanks

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
For those of you guys out there that think Ebay charges too much,,,ebay fees are approx. 9% plus taking paypal is approx. 3% for a total of 12%.
For that you get to have a world first class venue for selling, and thats a lot of potenial buyers, more than any auction house could hope to gather in one place and someone ( Paypal ) collects your money instantly and keeps it in your bank account and guarantee's that the transaction will go right, from that you can print your own shipping label and do your own postage ( instead of standing in line at the post office)...and YES they even allow you to cancel your auction ( end the auction early) thats ebay's rules,, no one is breaking any rules by cancelling the auction. You would never get an auction house to provide that kind of service for 12%. If any of you have ever sold stuff in an auction the least you can pay the auctioneer is 15% and most times 20% -25% and you don't get to change your mind half way thru the auction and take your stuff back or sell it to someone else in the audience either... so the moral of this story is please don't feel sorry for Ebay, play by their rules, end your auction early if you want, sell to whoever you want. I don't hear Ebay complaining, trust me they will take care of their business they don't need your sympathy or help..
ps. Don't be so disgruntled with a seller for ending their auction early and selling to someone else, all they are trying to do is get the most for their item and all your trying to do is buy it for the cheapest by waiting till near the end of the auction ( sniping),,,what you the buyer is ticked off with is that you didn't get it cheap and someone else bought it.. the owner has the best options and should have, as he is the one with the money invested in the item. So if you want the item bad enough bid early and bid high that way you won't be dissapointed... :):):):):) Just my opinion..

Wes.......
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
( From an earlier post )"Fair, Hell No, the people doing it are Untrustworthy, Shady, Crooked,etc. and Nobody I would ever deal with. I pride myself in Honesty and dealing with Honest people that don't try to beat the system any way they can."

These people are not Untrustworthy,Shady,Crooked or beating the system, Ebay allows you to end your auction early... this is NOT hard to understand...Your just jealous you didn't beat the other guy that got the item...this is a buisness NOT a game..

Last edited by Wes Hague; Sun Dec 18 2011 04:53 AM.

Wes.......
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wes,

My thoughts exactly!

Jamie

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
It's all greed, I agree,, but by the buyer and the seller,,one is no different than the other.

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Wes Hague
( From an earlier post )"Fair, Hell No, the people doing it are Untrustworthy, Shady, Crooked,etc. and Nobody I would ever deal with. I pride myself in Honesty and dealing with Honest people that don't try to beat the system any way they can."

These people are not Untrustworthy,Shady,Crooked or beating the system, Ebay allows you to end your auction early... this is NOT hard to understand...Your just jealous you didn't beat the other guy that got the item...this is a buisness NOT a game..

No, I think you misunderstood the post, It is not about ending an auction early, It is about a seller that puts a high reserve on an item, then time after time they will contact the underbidder with a "second chance offer" saying the first buyer backed out. It is pure Deceit and Scam. Basically SCHILL bidding. Greed all the way. they are doing it for;
1) running up the bidding with fake bids, srewing the unsuspecting buyer.
2) using ebay for the contacts and then screwing ebay out of their rightful commission.

No jealousy here, I get an item or I don't, no big deal. It's only stuff

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved