Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#289361 Wed Dec 07 2011 12:13 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
i've finally scratched together all the stuff to decorate the front of the garage with the exception of few small parts & pieces. i'm aiming for a 30's-40's sinclair theme & hope to have the major stuff ready to put up over the winter & early spring. i'm going to have a new pad poured in the front of the overhead doors & will have the island poured at the same time. the old existing pad in the lower left will also be removed at that time & am planning reclaimed brick walkways where the maroon areas are in the pic. signage will be an early rectangular sign on the building & a 48" round H-C sign on a homemade pole already in place. i'll start the resto on the signs as soon as the 48" arrives (purchased from "notchcad") the round red dot between the doors is a 36" coke button over a vendo 83 that sits between the doors. a sel-oil cabinet will sit on the left side of the doors & a short gilbarco farm pump will be redone in "diesel" & sit at the right corner of the bldg. the far left corner will be a tokheim lubester (kerosene). the island will hold 2 gilbarco 96-c's & an island light (still looking for a pole,the top was purchased from tom buckles) i'll change the top's color from red to green to match the porcelain lights over the doors, but leaving it red in the illustration for contrast.

am i missing anything??

also, one of the 96-c's will be H-C, what should i do the other pump in? aircraft, ethyl or the old green & white striped logo??

all opinions welcome, good or bad smile sorry for the poor drawing, just did a quicky in "paint"...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
N
N
something on the roof would be nice...just my 2cents.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If the exsisting pad is in ok condition, why not leave it in and if needed, connect it to your new pad, so you have a 'drive area' next to the pumps. It would be a place to park an old car as if they stopped to get gas. Just a thought.

Last edited by Nicole; Wed Dec 07 2011 01:15 AM.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Something on the roof would be nice. yep,like see rock city. Just kidding I think it well thought out and looks great. Still looking for you a post,headed west for couple days will keep my eyes peeled.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It'll be real cool. Air meter?

Last edited by JimT; Wed Dec 07 2011 03:26 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
An old street light?

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
This is going to be sweet, can't wait to see pic's

Ed
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jealous!

Scott Wright
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Save a spot on the left of the left garage door for a Sinclair Pennsylvania vertical sign and to the right of the right door for an opaline sign. They are not to hard to find and depending on the condition you are after, can be affordable. I would go with repo globes as they will be outside.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First, congratulations on your project and it's great to see you plan it out beforehand.

In my world..I would scrap the farm pump and put a nice Eco air meter with the internal light on a matching Eco pole. For two reasons..one it would look great..second it seems I can always use a source of air right outside my shop.

And..roof looks great in my opinion..wouldn't add anything to it.

Keep us updated.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep the burn barrel.

I sure miss having one living in California. Sometimes I think about moving back to Wisconsin just so I can have a burn barrel again ! LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Interesting project.I really like the idea of a kero dispenser and the diesel farm pump;round out the product line so to speak.One thing you might consider is adding a simple "pole barn"shed to each end of the main building to protect them and to provide for kero and diesel signs of some sort.You also might think about price numbers.Maybe against building or on stands on the pump island.I would definitly get a Sinclair credit card sign.Best of luck.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks for all the comments! keep em' coming!

now, to answer a few questions & add a few details...

the existing slab to the left HAS to go. it was a small garage years ago & has dished out over the years. when it rains, it holds water about 3"deep. its also tall & with new grandbabies fixing to start running around, its a "busted head" waiting to happen! lol!
the burning barrel sadly has to go too.. our little community recently voted to be incorporated into metro nashville & they don't allow burning. that deal has been a real problem lately with the ex commisioners who lost their power creating problems for the ones who signed the petition to put it to a vote. i've been turned in to codes once already because i signed it (everyone on our street that signed had a violation) so figure i better watch what i do for a while until the vindictiveness dies down.
won't be putting anything on the roof as there are houses about 20 feet from the rear of the bldg. have good neighbors back there now,so don't want to stir them up. the old neighbors tried to stir up trouble because they didn't like the bldg so close to their houses (they bought with it already there, but for some reason thought they could make me tear it down... idiots!!)
i have an eco air meter (currently in the house) that i restored 17 yrs ago, but really hesitate to move it outside. the front of the bldg faces north, so doesn't get any sun & mechanical things tend to futz up & quit working pretty quickly. static items fare pretty well, but have to be kept clean or will mildew in a heartbeat. i might try to find another one & do a static "paint only" resto & put it out there. after the rebuild from the fire, i added an air line outside, so have the "usefulness" part covered smile
i am looking into the opaline & pennsylvania signs & thought i had found the third in the set (polarine?) a while back but missed it by a day. the credit card sign is also a possibility, but seems like the earlier ones that would go with my desired era are hard to find. guess i could always make up the stencils & make my own on the cheap! all the pump signs, globes etc will be repop.

any recommendations on what grade to do the second pump in?

thanks again!

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
also meant to add, i won't be putting any of the valuable stuff out yet as my guard dog is losing her baby teeth right now. that would be about as ineffective a tool of persuasion as posting a sign that says "tresspassers will be beaten with a wiffle bat"...

here she is sunday kicking back, having a beer & watching the game:

guarding the house:

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
that top picture is a classic..

RANDY
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved