Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#251499 Fri Apr 29 2011 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Need help. With individual Standard Oil crown gas globes averaging $300 a piece. What would a complete set of seven be worth (includes the very hard to find candle lighted one)?

I have heard there are only 5-7 complete sets out there that exsist in one location.

For those of you who can help, I would appreciate some honest opinions.

I might consider adding a photo after I see where this is going.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited by flash_1967; Fri Apr 29 2011 07:32 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks - sounds much better!

Last edited by thermactor; Fri Apr 29 2011 07:38 PM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Sorry, my intentions might have been perceived differently than I saw it. I have edited the post. Is this better?

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By the candle-lit version, are you referring to the red crown with the hole and mounting flange in the top, or the totally different-looking "queen's crown" version from the teens with the chimney cap?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hole and mounting flange in the top.

Ron Gordon
Cell: 815.762.2616
Email: flash03@comcast.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Theres a lot more than 7 when you consider all the variations and the lettered crowns! We'd need a picture to know what you're talking about. For instance-- I think the earlier version of the common Red Crown with the arrows along the bottom edge--versus the later one with the slashes, is worth an extra $100. In my opinion. Lots of variables-- not just colors.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It sounds like you've got the Red Crown swag lamp. From what I understand, it was made in the 1970s and was used in the offices of Standard stations. Their value seems to be a little less than a regular red crown.

In my opinion (which is probably worth what you're paying for it), the value of a full set of crowns would not exceed the sum of the individual globe values. In fact, I would expect somewhat of a quantity-based savings for buying all seven at once.

The values of the crowns do vary somewhat significantly by color (and style -- lettered or non-lettered). Oddly colored crowns (ie. green, blue, orange, grey, or red gold combo) with original paint will each command their own premiums over red, gold, or white.

Wes

Last edited by thermactor; Fri Apr 29 2011 08:00 PM. Reason: added "with original paint"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There's the dealer crown(which actually came with swag hardware and a wood base so it could be used as a hanging light or a desk light). It's not really a gas globe, and not at all what I'd call rare.

Now for the crown as pump globes....

Red Crown with "slashes"
Red Crown with "arrows"
Red Crown with more dots around the lower band-very scarce
Red Crown with 7" flanged glass base-very scarce
"Red Crown" raised letters
Red Crown "Gasoline"
Red Crown "Gasoline" etched
Red Crown "Gasoline" etched, chimney cap-very scarce

"Red Crown Ethyl" white globe with red letters
"Red Crown Ethyl" red with white letters

"Solite" blue with white letters
"Solite" red with white letters-very scarce
Blue Crown "slashes"
Blue Crown "arrows"
Blue Crown with extra dots
I think theres a Blue Crown with 7" flanged glass base

Green Crown (there may be slash, arrow, and extra dot versions of these as well)

Grey Crown
Orange Crown-very scarce (one known and a well known collector that had seen it in person thought it was questionable if the paint was original or not)
Purple Crown-very scarce
Red and Gold Crown
Theres a Red and White Crown version listed in the globe book that I've never seen
White Crown, possible slash and arrow versions
Gold Crown

That's 23 versions for sure, and possibly another 4. There are probably more variations I haven't seen. Once you get past the very common crowns they cost much more than $300.
I'd be very surprised if anyone has every version. I'm not sure which seven crowns (including the dealer light?) you were talking about but I suspect there are many more collections with 7 or more crowns in them than what you've been told. I currently have five versions and I've had other versions in the past.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Sat Apr 30 2011 12:05 AM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just wanted to add that ANY crown globe with a 6" flanged glass base is a reproduction.

Repainting non lettered crowns greatly affects the value (negatively) VS one with original paint. A repainted original non lettered crown is worth about the same as a reproduction crown.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
does anyone have any info or photos of what the purple crown looked like, please? Also, what years did they use it and what gas did it represent?

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/index...pump-globe.html ..... only image I could find on purple crown was this link http://www.urbanremainschicago.com/index...pump-globe.html and another link that was just an article on purple transparent phony globe

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the listing Lastgas.I knew of about 15 versions so yoy just added to my knowledge.Scott did an article in PCM awhile back on the crowns.What I noted ,if I remember correctly,is that the grey crown was diesel and the green was a tractor fuel.

I noted that because I chase diesel and collect "OLD IRON" as in tractors and trucks.Man,if I could get a green crown that might inspire me to grt another JD Mod A!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: maojunior
does anyone have any info or photos of what the purple crown looked like, please? Also, what years did they use it and what gas did it represent?

I can't say for sure but I think the upper details were purple, and the band around the middle was red.
"Purple Red Crown" was a motor grade (sub regular)gasoline in the 1930's.
I don't think thats a purple crown in the link from your other post. It looks like a very oxidized red crown to me.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Lastgas, many thanks for sharing your knowledge your post here is a great checklist. Here is a link I found with a Purple Red Crown ad for cigars. http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/standard-oil-cigar-box-purple-red-131824674 ...pretty neat ...

lastgas, would a purple crown ever have been used in a chicago station? I think that photo doesn't show coloration best...i had additional photos sent to me, but on my girlfriend's computer and she is out of the country..i will try to post more here ASAP.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
old iron, i think i saw a green crown go for $1600 somewhere on the net!

I have a red crown along with original box and address of station along with handwritten addy with standard oil name...also appears that first three portions of patent number on box in stencil letter match first three of patent on mounting collar. I think box also said 'Gray Advertisting Products'

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved