Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#279295 Thu Oct 13 2011 08:17 PM
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Whats the opinion on this new forum?

I don't care for it!

Seems like people post pics as if they have found something. Then a veteran member shows the pic as it is on ebay, or craigslist etc. So, my vote is....don't like it!

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
st.rod #279300 Thu Oct 13 2011 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never liked it, either. I think it encourages people to just post on here right away instead of trying to do their own research first. But, we could always just not look at it, right?! wink

st.rod #279308 Thu Oct 13 2011 08:41 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Not a big fan of it either. Seems to me that there are a lot of posts that do not have photo and that is a total waste of time. The other ones that get a chuckle from me are the ones who just bought something wondering what it is worth. They have the answer already WHATEVER YOU PAID FOR IT IS WHAT IT IS WORTH. I have shelled out some major cash for purchases knowing I should have spent the money elsewhere but might regret it down the road but I was always on things I LOVED more than the cash!
I believe (correct me if I am wrong) it was a great quote from veteran DB "your only renting the stuff"
This forum equates this site with the love of money more the love of petroliana.... The one or maybe two times I inquired as to the value of an item -I pm'd some veterans I thought were the most knowledgeable with that particular item. It may surprise you what kind of knowledge they will share if asked politely! I feel it is a great way to build camaraderie and form relationships as mentioned by Olddutchgas in the "why people leave the hobby" thread. I mean really do we come to oldgas because we love money or petroliana (and the characters connected to it lol)?????
Just my opionion

st.rod #279310 Thu Oct 13 2011 09:05 PM
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
it does to seem to consume a large majority of the overall posts recently? Probably not if you counted them really - but seems like alot. Maybe it could be still be a category in forum list - but not included on the portal page or the recent posts on the right hand side??

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Larry I have to agree with Tara's whole post and her last sentence should make it easier for you..... if you don't like it then just don't look at it..... it's as easy as that.

Apparently there are some people who enjoy it, so why not just leave it to them.

Lifes too short to be upset about the small stuff.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With all the FREE Image Hosting Sites on the web, there is NO EXCUSE for NOT Posting Pictures, or asking others to post your pictures.
Too many are trying to justify what they spent or are wanting to sell.
Originally Posted By: Tara
we could always just not look at it, right?!

SURE, Very few can drive by an auto accident W/O looking!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Value questions have always came up regularly. Value is the driving force in many who come to this site. I believe it is definitly better to have this in a seperate section... seperated from the general disscussion. Unfortunately seems to have encouraged more people to ask about items that they could very easily research on their own.

I have posted once or twice and I personally see little value in it. Many replies are from people with limited knowledge, actually want to buy it under value, or someone who seems to want to "win" by quoting the highest(and often unrealistiic) value. Also those who post..."I have no idea what it's worth"...but I like it! It's a value forum....not a general disscussion forum,right?

Another thing I noticed is if the poster is asking about something worthless....nobody comes out and states the fact...either nobody replies at all, or they post something beating around the bush about actual value. If I had something worthless....I would want to know, so I don't waste my time with it.

These are my takes on it...lot of problems, but still needed if we are allowing free appraisels on the site.

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Fri Oct 14 2011 05:45 AM.

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
C
C
I like it. It's nice too see what's floating around out there.

carson #279352 Fri Oct 14 2011 06:13 AM
Questions about values have always been posted, well before there was a forum especially for them. Some members voiced concerns about so many value questions in the General Petroliana Discussion forum. We got a lot of comments at that time to set up a separate forum for value questions.

So in response to solid support then for a new value forum, one was set up. That way, if you are annoyed by the steady stream of value questions, you can just avoid that forum completely.

To see the latest posts without the value questions, click on "Active Topics" on the horizontal menu bar on the upper part of Shop Talk pages. The Active Topics pages show what forum each post is on. Just ignore the posts that show they are in a forum where you don't want to participate.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #279353 Fri Oct 14 2011 06:22 AM
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Too many lazy new members/flippers/antique dealers looking for a quick answer. Pic should be posted with thread

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
As a newbie in the hobby I think it is not as much about making money but making sure to not overpay for something we want to add to our collection. I often wind up selling stuff I bought but it is just so I can buy the next thing for my collection, if I overpayed for stuff then I would be broke and be forced to stop doing something I enjoy. I greatly appreciate the help I've gotten here from more experienced members.

E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
For what it's worth...if we want new members to feel welcome and want to encourage posts from those members it's a plus for the site. We all need to keep in mind like Jbrooks noted (alot of the newer collectors out there don't all know the value of a Wayne 80) Let's think of this thread as a way to help newer collectors NOT OVERPAY for items.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am probably biased being one of the moderators....but, I like it as it is in a separate forum. I agree with Jim, values are at least contained in one space. Doesn't bother me if there are antique dealers asking for values, maybe they will put the items in their shops at realistic prices. (OK, I am not going to hold my breath on that one) As far as people asking if they got a good deal or paid a fair price...why not? Getting confirmation or finding out you "overpaid" is good to know. It is also not a scientific appraisal. Lots of opinions from newbies and seasoned veterans are good. I always like when people ask and you folks jump in and say, "Well, in my area it would sell for this, etc..."

Garage A Go-Go you say you have PM'd the veterans and gotten their opinions. Why is that any different than asking for it in an open forum? Doesn't it build the same comraderie?? And then even more people become educated. I agree with Tara that people jump here first for a value...I have done that.
But, people also criticize that ebay isn't a good resource and as much as I like all the refenerce books, they are getting old. Still good for a resource, but not always a price resource. You also say that an item is worth whatever you paid for it. that may be true for some things. But, if a Texaco Fire chief pump plate sells in the range of $80 to $150...and someone pays $500 for one...is that truly what it is worth? the $400 gas pump that sells at an auction for $1,000..it is really worth $1,000? I don't think so. I will agree on unique items the philosophy of it is worth what you paid for it may ring true. And where else but here, on Oldgas, is there a better group of experts to help out with valuing? This group has their finger on the pulse of this hobby/business better than anywhere else. I am not hung up on $$$, but I want to have a good idea of a value before I jump in.
It is easy to say, "If you don't like it (values forum)...just walk away." But, I hope that everyone will at sometime jump in and offer their thoughts. It is the best way to educate people and welcome them into this hobby.

Ok, I have pontificated too long....Thanks and have a good collecting day.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #279408 Fri Oct 14 2011 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like checking this forum, I like to compare what I think the value is compared to the responses in the thread. If there is one think I dislike more that the phrase "have you ever watched Pickers" - is "I have seen these things sell on the internet for..." Perhaps somebody out there will check this site for a fair value before asking an OUT OF THIS WORLD overprice on a commom piece. Brady

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...I think the people posting 'how much is this worth?' should be required to offer their opinion of what it's worth when they post the item...

...at least TRY to do some research first, instead of just throwing a pic on Oldgas...lots of the things I see in this forum are things that could easily be researched on eBay, to see what they have previously fetched...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved