Next Thread
Print Thread
S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I went over to a local Goodyear dealership to inquire about tires for my 1963 falcon wagon. When I arrived the owner was hanging a closed sign up. I inquired what his hours were, he replied "I am closing permanently right now." The hair on the back of my neck stood up in excitement when he said that! I was thinking SCORE!

At first I started off with small talk about it was sad to see his shop closing. I told him once I retire, I will be doing some kind of auto related thing, with no real need for profit since I would have my retirement checks coming.

I waited until we had talked about 30 minutes before I sprung the question........Can I buy the Goodyear signs outside on the building and sign? He told me that the building had to bee inspected later in the week and that he could not sell me the signs. The signs needed to be on the building for cooperate and the owner of the property. He said that I could show up on the day of the inspection and try and talk them in to selling me the signs. He then said, "Look around inside and see if there are any signs you like. Everything is going to the dumps except the tools which the employees are taking, and the lifts which have to stay. I will give you a great price."

I looked all over the property and scored the items in the photos below.

I am going to try to get the outside signs later this week.....I will let you guys know how it turns out. If I don't end up with them, at least I had a great score showing up at the right time on the right day.

The 76 signs are from his old shop......

6 N.O.S. Ford Motorcraft Battery Rack Sign Tops and one N.O.S. Battery Rack:

I also scored a banner, but forgot to take a pic of it, and the box standing up on end has a bunch of 8 foot paper banners inside them.

Mike

Mike
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
good deal..

RANDY
I
I
Nice Haul!

We have a local good year tire place here that has 3 sets of original porcelain goodyear letters 2 white and 1 yellow set all the the winged foot. I've been trying to buy them forever. I have offered a good chunk of change for them but the owner says that they belong to Goodyear coporate, and if they sold the signage they would get in big trouble because of the agreement in the contract they signed when he opened the business. I guess it states that anything that was loaned out by Goodyear must be returned to them and if not they would be sued for damages. I've tried to contact goodyear corporate as well with no luck. Maybe one day.

S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
That is the same thing the owner of the shop said.

Mike
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
great score 76 and goodyear super nice. I would say that was perfect timing.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Thanks. I am going to keep the Dunlop lighted sign for sure.

Mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice find, I really like the Dunlop and Continental sign.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved