Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269556 Tue Aug 23 2011 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
OK--Heres the story! I found 2 items on ebay last week and decided that I was going to make an honest attempt to evaluate and possibly purchase the 2 items! This was a pretty significant purchase as one of the items was a 67 pontiac GTO convertible with a high output engine. Pretty rare these days but I had a GTO expert at my disposal and I felt pretty confident! Especially when I called the owner and told him that if I won the auction, that I was unwilling to send any down payment but that I would be in my vehicle the next day and on my way to Tennessee with the cash and if the car was as he described, we wold have a deal! If not, I would be headed home.
He gladly explained that my plan was totally acceptable and that I would be pleased when I arrived. I sniped the car at the last moment and was pleasantly suprised when my bid came up as the winner and about 2 thousand under what I expected! It was road trip time!
I had also purchased a clock on ebay and made arrangements to pick it up on the same trip! Life was good!!!
Planning was done and arrangements made and I was on the road with my copilot. We made the destination in about a day and a half and at first glance at the car, I was drooling! Of course, this was from 20 feet! As I started my inspection, the owner explained that a problem had arisen that day and the only way he could get the car to run was to take a hose from the fuel pump and put it into a gas can in front of the car as it would not pick up the gas from the tank! Heres where the trouble started!
I stared in disbelief and politely asked how he expected to sell a car that was undriveable?? He was apologetic enough that I continued my inspection and to make a long story short----the data plate had obviously been removed and replaced, bumpers misaligned, bolts missing,tach was replaced with a hood tach that some chimpanzee had installed, rust thru on floor pans, and the list goes on!!! I honestly believe that the car was a Tempest that he had done a sloppy conversion on and was trying to pass off as a GTO. Great 20 footer though!!
I honestly tried to talk myself into purchasing the car despite its faults but common sense won out and I slowly directed my truck back onto the highway headed north with an empty trailer in tow! Hey!!!---All was not lost as I would save shipping on the clock and could pick it up on the way back! I also had the opportunity to stop at John Jarvis's place and view his collection and I really enjoyed that part of the trip!
On to the clock!! When I arrived, the seller took the clock out of the protective box and began to explain about the problems with the clock!!! WHAT!!! Problem number 2 had arisen and was staring me in the face!! I had a small problem in that I had already paid for the clock and was just supposed to be picking it up! I politely explained that the clock that I had purchased on ebay, had none of the "just described" problems and that I wished for a refund. The seller was again apologetic and put the clock back in the box and I again headed my truck out onto the interstate with my tail firmly tucked! It was a long and miserable drive home until I stopped to think of what the costs and frustration could have mounted to, had I not been on a visual inspection tour!
Moral of the story: "Everything is not always as it seems" especially in pictures! Be careful on ebay!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
K W FRITH #269557 Tue Aug 23 2011 07:16 AM
Glad you were able to back out of those deals without a big fight. Not really a wasted trip, because "it coulda been worse!" if you had them shipped.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #269572 Tue Aug 23 2011 07:59 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At least you got to see the Jarvis collection

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
s932 #269576 Tue Aug 23 2011 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats a great story for the "stay at home ebayers" vs the yes lets make the trip and go to Iowa Gas!!!!

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
minuteman #269591 Tue Aug 23 2011 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wow two for two!! agree there with minuteman.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
oldnfuelish #269597 Tue Aug 23 2011 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well you could look at it like this...........you got to see John's collection & probably spotted "SOMETHING" on the road that you could follow up on later! What a crock of dukie on the GTO ,mannnn i would have let the seller know all about himself & the time & effort & money spent on a dry run! oh well ......i hope you at least got your clock money back!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #269601 Tue Aug 23 2011 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sounds like it was worth the trip,could of had a bunch of pricy stuff to put in the back yard and let the weeds grow around.Glad you made the trip and did not just pay and have shipped.This is why i do not buy on ebay. If i can not see it or now the seller or what they are talking about i will not buy.That is why this is a great place to buy and sell.

Always looking for grizzly gasoline stuff, or any Montana gas and oil stuff.
hotrodfun1 #269603 Tue Aug 23 2011 11:10 AM
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Well this explains it pretty well. Was wondering how the trip went and was waiting on the pic of the auto. Snake in the grass huh. Hope this is not reflection on TN, as a whole. Most guys that deal in vintage autos around here are on the up and up. But there is allways a few bad apples. I've heard stories,if you don't research and know how to read the serial plates and codes you will get burnt.
Glad you didn't add yourself to the list.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Tue Aug 23 2011 11:49 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Loyd Pierce #269612 Tue Aug 23 2011 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
On the bright side I would rather be at home with my money,
than with a clone GTO and a bad clock.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
LC 336 #269653 Tue Aug 23 2011 02:46 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Doesn't sound like it was e-bay that got you, but, a couple suspicious e-bay sellers. At least you are knowledgeable enough to spot the fraud and wise enough to walk away from it. Hope you had a nice trip in spite of the outcome.

ROD [Mich.]
r49th #269753 Tue Aug 23 2011 07:19 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I would like to know the item numbers or the sellers so the same thing doesnt happen again.

r49th #269821 Wed Aug 24 2011 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You should at least give both sellers negative feedback.
You'll be notifying potential future bidders interested in those same items if they relist,plus they deserve it and you earned it by visiting them in person.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved