Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2623 Fri Oct 14 2005 12:20 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
How come nobody has repro'd the plain, white, smooth Gill bodies??? But, they make the fancy multi-colored Ripple Gills that cost too much??? Why ???

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
It's been at least 3 years since the ripples were READILY available and today they aren't being repo'd by anybody. I saw a white repo ripple the other day for $600! and that's the first one I've seen for awhile. FYI...if the smooth, white gills are ever reproduced they will be the same cost as the ripples (more than likely). The reason the ripples were so high was because they were very labor intesive AFTER they came back from the glass factory. The edges where the lens set had to be ground down smooth, then they had to be painted and after that, you had to come up with the retainer rings. Anyway, I've heard that ripples MAY be available again sometime but right now, it's just a rumor.

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I just spoke with the owner of Petroleum Artifacts and you are correct as the glass supplier of the repro ripple bodies went under. He still has the molds and has not been able to find a new manufacturer. Labor intensive was mentioned because of the grinding needed for all three openings. If anyone knows of a potential maker, please contact them. I would love to have a few to display some of my more common Atlantics while adding some color. It was cost effect when they were available.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can modify the plastic bodies to hold your Atlantic lenses. First cut the locating tabs out. Then belt sand the mating surfaces on each half of the body. I would never do that to an original body, but I've done it to a few repro's.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Can't you go to any of the catalogues (Vic's, Time Passages, Pergl, and so on) and buy them. I saw them for sale in one of those books very recently it seemed. The money is there....... It's not a matter of not wanting to do a little grinding or whatever, I don't see how it could not be profitable. It may take a little money up front I guess, but just plain old gill bodies are becoming a necessity for some guys that have some better lenses and nothing to put them in. I don't think the repro ripples look all that great. And there a little too much for some of the lenses that people have. People most times don't really need a ripple for the lenses they have, because they would not have gone in a ripple to start with. And I don't think the repro ripples are painted on the inside like the sweet old ones, they are solid glass color - like the red ripple would be solid red glass the whole way through. I think I'm right on this. But there is a need for them(plain smooth white ones) and I know that it would also bring the prices down on some of the plain gill globes that people are just wanting so that they can get the body off of it. I know that's true, That's right .......

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
BBQ is right, I have a few lenses that need a gill body. I had a chance three or four years ago to buy ripple bodies at the Peotone show for around $225.00, I don't think they would of looked right and I know the lenses would have never have gone in ripple bodies.

I'd buy other lenses if there were repo gills to put them in.

I'm not sure about how they color the repo's, but I have a friend with a real ripple and the colors have a way diffent look.

Thanks,
Brian

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
All of the colored ripples are painted on the inside.
It obviously wasn't profitable to make the repro ripples. I've heard that as many as one third of the production either got broken during the grinding process or didn't meet quality control standards. Someone will eventually repop the regular gill bodies but they won't be cheap.
If you can live with repop bodies why not just caulk your lenses to a regular wide or narrow repop body?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
BBQ Chicken wrote:
I don't see how it could not be profitable. It may take a little money up front I guess
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BBQ...here's how it cannot be profitable. A new mold for smooth gill would run about ten grand. The raw pieces would run a minimum of $80-$100 + the cost of the two retainer rings (a bigger deal than we like to think). Then special packaging has to be produced (no small feat). Pay freight in from MFG. Then, before you can sell them you have to do more than "a little" grinding. The rate of loss between shipping in(NO CLAIMS PAID EVER!!) + breakage during sanding runs about 10%. Then there's painting them as they come clear (as did the repo ripples that I carried). You'd have $25,000 in the first 100 bodies, & that's not a shot from the hip, that's reality. And all that is based on current natural gas prices (the biggest factor in glass products)not the crisis level pricing being discussed for this winter. So you've got $275 + rings in each of the first 90 so you decide to sell them at cost just to recoup your tooling, but oh wait, the boys on the brown truck are going to break 1 in 10 AT BEST!!

Bottom line is this, smooths & ripples may be available again someday, but if this wasn't a losing proposition, it would've been undertaken by several people already.

Seth/Vic's '66'

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 10-14-2005).]

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Yeah, you know how it is though, when it's all together, complete, the way it should be, in the right frame - that's when it is fun to look at. When it's right, it's right. Maybe some one will undertake the task and get it rollin'. I know that there are lenses just laying in boxes,'cause there ain't no bodies. And it orphans a lot of decent lenses too. That's what we need, A Foster home for gas globe lenses. I'll be the head Father and will admit everyones orphan lenses and take care of them for free !!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The problem is the guys wanting to buy repop gill bodies aren't going to pay what the manufacturer needs to sell them at to get a decent return on investment.
That leaves the guys with lenses and no bodies several options. 1. Leave the lenses in boxes. 2. Modify plastic bodies to put their lenses in. 3. Caulk the lenses to a regular body. 4. Buy a coplete gill globe and sell the lenses from it so you can mount your lenses. 5. Spring for a gill body on the rare occasion they turn up for sale.
6. Bankroll the production of new bodies. Several guys could get together to do this. It wouldn't be a money maker, but it would fill the need.

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Also, you can buy 13.5" steel or aluminum bodies and put the gill lenses in them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Isn't it amazing how far we have progressed....in the 30's you can make a gill body for $5.00 or less.....today (IF IT'S POSSIBLE) it costs $300.00.

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think the main problem is that no oil companies are standing there with cheques and orders of 1000 or more. I am thinking some were likely buying a lot more than that at one time.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
What if we ALL did it...... collectively??? As a group of buyers, that would put in an order for 5 or more bodies apiece ??? It would take a particular leader or knowledgable spearhead person that actually had a line on the product and production of the items, but we could do it. It would be a great attempt. Just brain storming, all those that wanted or needed a Gill body or five may join in and see how far we could take it. Maybe our efforts and needs for the bodies could pave the way for the production of the bodies indefinitely. Is there anyone out there that feels the power of the Gill body ??? Can we do it together? OLDGAS COLLECTORS UNITE !!!

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
I would be in for two or three globes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved