Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Picked up this sign at Columbus and was wondering if anyone had seen one like it before?

It's marked "IR 56" at the bottom and is the same size as many other Mobil shield pump plates - 12.5" x 12.5"

It's shown here beside a Mobilgas PPP, with two smaller truck cab-top signs above. Someone suggested it might be a truck door sign, which makes some sense to me. The only truck door signs I've seen are shown below.....if this is one, then I'd expect a right-facing mate to be out there somewhere.

I got it from a well known collector who found two of them 15+ years ago. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has this sign or knows how it might have been used.

Richard

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice addition..

RANDY
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I sure hope someone pipes in that knows something about your new sign. I am stumped and eager to be educated along with you. Great find!

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
just a guess. Whats the chance they are mistakes from the maker ?

P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I was thinking the same thing Bill, that maybe they were factory mistakes or signs that weren't completed. As you can see in the photos, there aren't any "flaws" that would cause the sign to be rejected because of quality.....it looks pretty near perfect to me.

I'm wondering about the manufacturing process itself. It's my understanding that the colors were applied one at a time.....in this case 1st the white background, then probably the red, and finally the dark blue. If that's the case, the blue outside border, the blue Pegasus border, and the blue "IR 56" were applied but not the product name. That leads me to think it was left off on purpose. Either that or maybe the worker had a six-pack for lunch & just overlooked it!!! Certinly not an impossibility, for sure.

Richard

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It is known that for products that were considered "minor", specifically Mobilgas Marine and Mobilgas Aircraft, that blank globe lenses were supplied to company plants with the pegasus in place on a blank background. Decal kits were provided, and the appropriate decal was applied to the globe lens in the field. These are rare, but a few are known. I feel like that this pump plate was used in the same manner, supplied to company owned plants to be decaled as needed, so a large stock of signage for minor products would not be required, and could be supplied for use quickly as needed.

Wayne Henderson
PCM, Kernersville, NC

Wayne Henderson
Petroleum Collectibles Monthly
Kernersville, NC
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks Wayne for that insight. If Mobil made "generic" globe faces with decals to be added as needed, then it's logical to assume they would have needed pump plates like this one to use on those same pumps. And if only a few globes are known with the decals, that would explain why these signs are apparently quite rare.

After views by approximately 300 Oldgassers who I assume had some interest in the topic, this explanation makes perfect sense. Mystery solved, as far as I'm concerned.

That being the case, it seems only fair that I should get to name this unusual sign. "Generic" just doesn't get for me. So......by the power vested in me by the American Society of Sign Hoarders/Owners Ltd, I hereby name this sign the Mobil "Blank" Five-Point Shield Pump Plate. (In case you were wondering, the above mentioned organization is also known by the acronym ASSHOL)

Richard

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I wonder how many people belong to that society?

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A decal is the first thing I thought of too to place in the empty area....as to customize grade or product.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Forgot to mention one thing about this sign. I want to publically thank fellow Oldgasser John Jarvis. He spotted the sign out in the vendor area, then looked me up in the auction room, told me about the sign, and went with me to the vendor's space so I could examine and buy it. Without his help the sign would most likely be hanging on someone else's wall. Thanks buddy...I owe you one!!!

Richard

Last edited by Pegasus; Sat Jul 09 2011 02:00 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one I have with No Blue..
Top center to point on center bottom, 13"

IMG_0147[1].JPG

RANDY
P
Pegasus Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Randy....that looks like the "Southwest" version of the shield. The bottom point is slightly longer and 13" is the exact measurement. It appears they didn't add any of the blue color, either around the Pegasus or the thin blue border. I'm guessing there aren't many others like yours out there either. Cool sign.....and another one to be on the lookout for.

Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved