Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Hey guys, I was having a debate with a friend of mine the other day. He buys mainly signs off ebay and some other assorted petro items. Neither one of us have ever been to a good petro show like Hershey etc. as they are all pretty far away for the most part. We both were very curious what the prices on decent quality signs (C-8 or better) were at shows as apposed to what they've been selling for on ebay. Now I ofcourse would always rather be able to see and touch a sign to inspect it's authenticity at a show, but that's not always an option. I figure some of the regulars that attend these shows year after year might be able to chime in with some opinions. Thanks

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
A lot of the signs on ebay are not of the best quality and in my opinion go higher then they should sometimes. There are deal's to be had on ebay and at shows/ swap meets once in a while. Ebay is a retail market as well as shows.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Being able to touch and feel a sign at a show...priceless...I think prices are very comparable on some things...others bring more on ebay and vice versa...If its a tough to find item it will generally get on the money at a show or ebay...If you havent been to a big show go...they are tons of fun...plus you will meet other collectors like yourself! I've never been to a show and had a bad time...ever smile

Joey

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think there are better buys on eBay than at many shows? I'm only basing that on some of the things I have picked up off eBay recently. Many of the items I watch have ended below what I would expect to pay at a show? Maybe it's just what I'm watching....

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I think ebay is cheaper as I have seen round good gulf signs at shows for 150 to 300 dollars and on ebay sell for 75 and less all grade 9 or 10.This holds true for other signs as well.I have also gotten a few good ones at shows but not often.Bill

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It depends on the rarity & condition..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The really high quality stuff rarely makes it to Ebay, but there are exceptions! There are numerous times that I bought something on Ebay, only to find the unexposed secret flaws when the item actually gets here. I find shows to be much more enjoyable with sellers that you can actually discuss the price with!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Plus factor in shipping.... flee bay you are at their mercy as to packaging and S/h charges, while at a show you are your own shipper....

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Its really economical to go to all the shows now, at least at home you are not the second guy or have break downs on the road.

Craig
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Shipping charges are relative to ebay as gas, food, and/or overnight accomodations are to attending a show. I'm not choosing a side, mind you, but all aspects of either venture figure in to total cost. Personally, the experience of going to a show is, well, to coin a commercial......priceless. I find that at shows many times I can haggle, which in itself is fun, but can be rewarding on final price paid. In the end both have they're good days and bad. I've watched items one day on Ebay go off with less than spectacular results, and within a month watch another item that is nearly the same as the first go off at a crazy price. Make a show just once.....and then you can really get the "big picture" and judge for yourself.

........Dave

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved