Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Well I usually don't share too much unless it's worthy on here but this is a story to tell. Yesterday I was doing my normal everyday footwork in the papers, online, on the phone etc. I noticed an ad that was 3 days old. It was a pic of the bottom 1/2 of a pump. I didn't recognize it right away so I assumed it was pretty worthy right off the bat. Didn't have a price on the ad just some contact info. So I get in touch immediatly with them to see the asking price and at least a name brand so I could look it up in Jack's book. They told me it was a G&B. So it didnt take long to find it was a Gilbarco 67 that was restored years ago. Best of all it was 15 min down the street from my house. Took a quick hop over and I was on a ladder taking it apart within minutes. The couple told me the price as my jaw hit the floor but assured me they were willing to negotiate! I didn't have the heart to haggle with them....I assured them it would get a good home and paid the full asking price. I couldnt have had it painted for the price. It looks to be the version in Jack's book that has the outside gallon counters.. The gentlemen told me he actually has had a gas station in his family since the 20's. He was nice enough to show me around and I got to see some very cool pictures. Well I had to ask the origin of the pump as I always like to know where the items in my collection came from. So he tells me about 20 yrs ago or so he bought this pump from "Gas Pump Johnny"! What a small world. Well best pump find for me to date for sure...it needs a cylinder but is pretty complete other than that. I also bought another pump from them a pre visible that will look great outside. Did I mention the ad was 3 days old?!?! The gas pump gods were with me this week.

I've been wanting a visible for so long and was kinda bummed when I got it back to the garage and quickly realized it would only fit in the dead center of the wall and that's without the globe!

gb67.jpg

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
pics

gb672.jpg gb673.jpg gb674.jpg

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump and great score. It looks good in your collection. How is the Erie coming along?

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Great Find!!!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Matt, I've been so busy hunting down more stuff I dont have room for I havent had a chance to touch it...lol

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What is that marine gas MS pump on display?

Scott Wright
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Scott, it's a M&S 80 I found in NYC out of all places. It was part of an art studio apartment where the guy died and left his family everything. They couldnt give me any info at all. It had been restored at some point. The top on it looks legit to me. It has the metal frame rails front and back that are common on these tops. The lettering was painted over by someone??. I can see Marine gas underneath the white paint they used so I don't know what the deal with that is?? It may have been a custom thing that whoever restored it added to a plain top? And then it was retouched up at a later time. I just left it the way I got it.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Very cool!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Nice going! Nicer story - I have to ask, I am also doing a visible and need to know, why are the gallon markers set to have the smaller numbers on top and the greater numbers on bottom? Sir Issac Newton and his nonsensical talk about gravity tells us that when the cylinder would fill with fuel it would go to the bottom and I figured that is where the smaller numbers would be. (non-intential hijacking of thread not intended)

thanks

BIGTOM

K
K
Originally Posted By: BIGTOM
Nice going! Nicer story - I have to ask, I am also doing a visible and need to know, why are the gallon markers set to have the smaller numbers on top and the greater numbers on bottom? Sir Issac Newton and his nonsensical talk about gravity tells us that when the cylinder would fill with fuel it would go to the bottom and I figured that is where the smaller numbers would be. (non-intential hijacking of thread not intended)

thanks

BIGTOM

They would fill the cylinder up to the '0' mark, then fill the tank. It would then show what was used. If you think about it, if the numbers went the other way you would then need to know exactly how much fuel was needed beforehand.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: KS 82 GT
Originally Posted By: BIGTOM

thanks

BIGTOM

They would fill the cylinder up to the '0' mark, then fill the tank. It would then show what was used. If you think about it, if the numbers went the other way you would then need to know exactly how much fuel was needed beforehand.

Makes sense. I had it figured totally different.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have seen a few pumps that had 1 set of indicators 0-10 & other set 10-0.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved