Click here for Original Gas Pump Plate auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
These pictures are from a 1941 auto service magazine showing the new merchandiser cabinets available to Oldsmobile dealers and recommended for any auto service garage. No mention of cabinet maker in the article, but there was a Lincoln Engineering, St. Louis ad nearby.

Thought you'd like to see these cabinets in actual use back in the day.

merchandisers1.jpg merchandisers2.jpg merchandisers3.jpg merchandisers4.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
One more pic ...

merchandisers5.jpg

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Those are beautiful cabinets. I found one locally but the guy threw out the middle work bench. He still has the two sides and the back piece. He told me these cabinets had little compartment to soak carb parts. Would love to find a complete one locally. Great pictures.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Love those cabinets!Cool pics!Thanks

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Those are the ones that the Alemite Chassis Lubrication greaser I have for sale goes with.

Last edited by JimmyD; Wed Mar 23 2011 06:54 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did those guys really wear white to work on cars?

I can see it on doctors (the illusion of cleanliness), but mechanics?

p.s. I've also seen those old ads with the guys filling up your tank wearing white--I can only imagine the laundry loads!

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
White shows up better in black and white photos. Perhaps that's the reason for them wear white in the photos.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When I went to work In a machine shop in 1957 we rented white coveralls for 75 cents a week. Mitch

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I like the last one where he is standing on top of the motor honing the cylinder!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mitch,

Did the rental include laundry service? Jus' wonderin'...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Mitch,

Did the rental include laundry service? Jus' wonderin'...

Kenny,

That pic standing on the engine reminds me of when I got my first pick-up truck. My first car was a third hand Toyota Corolla built before all the anti pollution devices were put in, and for a broke student, it was easy to get to the spark plugs for a tune up. I bought a Chevy truck next and I had to sit ON the engine to change those spark plugs. It was the first and last time I did that.

Oldgas Online Cool OP
OP Online Cool
Back in the 1970s when I started working at a Buick dealership, everyone in service and body shop had white shirts and dark blue pants. Rental was like $5+ a week and included laundry. We got the shirts pretty nasty looking on many days.
At the Cadillac dealership prior to that, we had medium blue shirts and merchandiser cabinets like in the pictures.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nicole Yes $1.50 for two pair once every two weeks. I started out making $1.00 a hr. and worked a 44 hr week. $46 a week with the overtime on Saturdays. Worked for the gentleman 16 yrs. until he closed in 1973. Mitch

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Early 1972. Discharged from the Marines just long enough to grow some hair. Working for Standard Oil of Calif. Here I am in my "uniform" white shirt, blue pants, and black belt (no buckle) with oil resistent soles (non-slip) on the shoes. Our shirts/pants were sent out every week to be cleaned. We had a fresh one for each day.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess now-a-days if you show up in a clean shirt your boss might think you're not working... : )

It sure doesn't look like they offer laundry service at the place we take our car and truck to--but they do great work! I'll have to ask them next time... : )

Likely I think it's the unmarried guys that have the most oil on their blue coveralls. Why wash it if you're just going to get grease on it again the next day. : o

Thanks guys and from Don's pic I can just imagine what you looked like. Don, the rag in the back pocket--that seems to have been a standard as far back as I can remember.

Last edited by Nicole; Fri Mar 25 2011 06:45 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Those cabinets are pretty cool! Was the Oldsmobile logo a decal or a sign or part of the cabinet?

Originally Posted By: Nicole
Likely I think it's the unmarried guys that have the most oil on their blue coveralls. Why wash it if you're just going to get grease on it again the next day. : o

This is a good point...I don't wash my "yardworking" clothes if I know I'm just gonna get them dirty again the next day. Why waste the water?! LOL.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I have a big Alemite embossed tin sign in fair condition. Must be about 4x6 ft. Outside display no doubt. Never see another one. Anyone else got one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved