Next Thread
Print Thread
#241816 Sun Mar 20 2011 03:19 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
As I was inventorying my cans once again, I have gotten to the Harley quarts. I found some info I thought I'd share as there may be one or two guys (including me) that may not have known this. You all are familiar with the orange "GENUINE OIL" cans with both black and white labels. Everything I have seen dates the black label cans to the 1940's which is true to an extent.

Well, I noticed mine had the narrow folded seam which would date it to the 1950's. I thought I'd do a little research and as a result I found a site of AMA's AMERICAN MOTORCYCLIST magazines dating back to 1955. So I dug in...

According to the ads in the mags, the black label can was used up until June 1957. That would explain the seam on my version. The white label can started showing up in ads July 1957.

Now what is weird is that the white and black with bar and shield logo "PRE-LUXE" was introduced in June 1958. No more ads for the "GENUINE OIL". This version ran until mid 1964 when the bar and shied logo was replaced by the PRE-LUXE HARLEY DAVIDSON with elongated triangles above and below the wording.

Now was the white label "GENUINE" only a one year run? Was it sold alongside "PRE-LUXE" but just never made it into magazine ads? There are still questions to be ansered, so if anyone can shed any light, it would be helpful.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Gary Drye #241831 Sun Mar 20 2011 05:23 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Like I haven't bored you guys enough, here is more useless info I did not include in the original post.

Concerning the PRE-LUXE elongated HD logo intro'ed in mid 1964. I have a metal and composit version. What is unusual is the metal version has a zip code for Milwaukee. This fits the post 1963 zip code requirement. The can was made by NATIONAL CAN CO. Now the composit version was made by RC CAN CO whom specialized in "FOIL-KAN" manufactoring. This can does NOT have a zip code. But it could not be earlier than 1963 as the logo is mid 1964. So...I'm thinking HD was also using RC as can manufactoring and they had yet to include a zip code on their earliest cans.

Does anyone have a composit version by RC that DOES have a zip code?

OK...go back to sleep guys.

Gary Drye #241888 Sun Mar 20 2011 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's about photos Gary...lol You know us guys, we're "visual" !
Show us a couple photos of your Cycle cans. Here's a couple of mine, just to show I care. ha.
Don

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don, that is a great looking display!

I would like to have some input on the subject, but with only 1 can...... blush

Last edited by Bob Richards; Sun Mar 20 2011 09:57 AM.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #241975 Sun Mar 20 2011 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is also 2 Variations of the Orange & Black Genuine Qts, The earley Quarts have a Thinner white outline around the Bar and Sheild Logo and the Later Version has a Much thicker white outline of the Bar & Sheild Logo. Also I think the Later Black & Orange Quarts have slightly Larger (Thicker) Lettering.

As Far as the White & Orange Genuine Qts, I was Told they were a one year only run as it was the Trasition between the "Genuine Oil" & the Pre-Luxe Quarts thats why you see about 1000 Black & Orange ones on ebay to every 1 White & Orange Transitional Quarts.

Nice Display Don!!! cool

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Esse's Garage #242092 Mon Mar 21 2011 02:44 AM
G
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
G
Jason, thank you for that info. It is very helpful.

Don, what a great display cabinet.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved