Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#236464 Sat Feb 26 2011 09:21 AM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
I just started up a new Image Gallery on Shop Talk for troublesome unmarked signs and globes.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21

This new gallery forum can be a good resource to look up questionable items. Three (3) pictures per post for back side and closeup of same item. There is room for a description to point out tell-tale ways to spot that unmarked reproduction or fantasy sign or globe.

Type in the wording on the sign or globe as the Subject. This will assist those looking through the gallery for certain items.

This is not intended for discussion. Keep your questions and discussions on this forum.

Please - no personal attacks or name-calling on the new image gallery forum.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Feb 26 2011 10:55 AM. Reason: Added info about additional images

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thats Great....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Great Idea

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Good idea but without reference to an original photo or sign that it is actually a repo, and not Someones Opinion..what good is it. Anyone posting a sign pic is being the JUDGE AND JURY! Pump plate porcelain signs are copied so close its hard to tell the difference and many others also!! So if you post a pic of MOBIL pump plate sign, someone seeing the pic on Oldgas will possible think ALL Mobil pump signs are phony!

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great idea Jim!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bud Miley
Good idea but without reference to an original photo or sign that it is actually a repo, and not Someones Opinion..what good is it. Anyone posting a sign pic is being the JUDGE AND JURY! Pump plate porcelain signs are copied so close its hard to tell the difference and many others also!! So if you post a pic of MOBIL pump plate sign, someone seeing the pic on Oldgas will possible think ALL Mobil pump signs are phony!

Repro Only signs will be posted, If you can't tell the difference between a repro mobil shield and an original, You are in the wrong hobby. You and other buyers HAVE to do your homework and learn the differences. We can't give you everything you need to know in these posts, just some Facts, Not Opinions, the rest is up to the buyer.

Last edited by KZ1000; Sat Feb 26 2011 07:32 PM.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KZ you are right about the education and know the difference. I think Bud makes a point. The side by side photos of the Gilmore tin in another post I'm sure educated a lot of people. Side by side gets you to know the difference in my opinion as well.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ANYONE that is not positive that a sign is FAKE or FANTASY should ask on this FORUM before posting the image in Gallery.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I think it would be good to put the fake and the real signs next to each other so people could compare and learn the differences.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
I think it would be good to put the fake and the real signs next to each other so people could compare and learn the differences.

Real Good Idea to show original and repo pics to compare, as everyone isnt an expert like KZ1000! What about the Ford Hanging sign pictured over there? What does the real Ford one look like? Differences etc.. I thought it was going to be Gas and Oil sign pics there?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Your looking for all the information spelled out for you on 1 sheet of paper, it isn't going to happen. What I'm afraid of is if you do end up buying a repro, you will blame this site for not giving you enough info. You have to take the info supplied and work with it, We can't be at auctions and antique stores with you.
Many signs are Very Obvious repros and there is no need to list everyone of them, Most all of the 12" round porcelain signs are repros, They ARE NOT all going to be listed here, That is something that a Collector has to learn if they want to collect.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with KZ1000 You have to look at ebay every day and buy the books and ask a lot questions of the sellers and look at auction prices. But do think this is a very good open form to get answers on questionable signs and globes etc.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
Your looking for all the information spelled out for you on 1 sheet of paper, it isn't going to happen. What I'm afraid of is if you do end up buying a repro, you will blame this site for not giving you enough info. You have to take the info supplied and work with it, We can't be at auctions and antique stores with you.
Many signs are Very Obvious repros and there is no need to list everyone of them, Most all of the 12" round porcelain signs are repros, They ARE NOT all going to be listed here, That is something that a Collector has to learn if they want to collect.

Blame this site? No, because I use my own intuiton and if I get one its my own fault. For the most part, I dont buy at shows or malls as its the easiest place to wind up with a repo. Ebay is safest since you have 30days using Paypal to send it back. Im just saying, if you post a pic then also post the REAL SIGN PIC so we can all see the differences between the 2. Simple.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Bud Miley

Blame this site? No, because I use my own intuiton and if I get one its my own fault. For the most part, I dont buy at shows or malls as its the easiest place to wind up with a repo. Ebay is safest since you have 30days using Paypal to send it back. Im just saying, if you post a pic then also post the REAL SIGN PIC so we can all see the differences between the 2. Simple.

(You don't Buy at Shows, Ebay is the safest), WOW, I don't think I need to say another thing.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
This is what I was going to post for the benefit of beginners.Order a Vic's and a GPH catalogue.They both have pages and pages of repop and fantasy signs.If you can find someone who has kept a file of older issues,do it as their product lines have changed over time.

As has been pointed out,you had better know when the diminsions are the only thing to tell you the difference at a glance.That goes for 12"round as well as some pump plates.Buy the reference books,then you will know what to look for.

And,you can carry them with you to shows and auctions.JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved