Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
strnge Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Should we have a section listed something like "Known or Suspected Fake Sign Sellers on Ebay or any other place"?

Dedicated section for Suspected or Known fake sign sellers from ebay or any other location?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: Mon Feb 21 2011 10:08 AM

Mike
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
It would be nice to have a list somewhere of the fake sign sellers.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is an Excellent idea, have all the ebay id's listed, and a note whether they are strictly Repop or they sell both.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It would help out the newer collectors for sure!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With some sellers it is an honest mistake (they don't know)
Others make a habit of deceiving people, there are a few names that would qualify for the list

RANDY
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
We should report these people to law enforcement to prevent this from happening. They will just create a new ebay ID and it starts again!! Must find the source of these signs!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Great idea but since I'm not a lawyer, I don't know about the legal stipulations of posting names/IDs on the internet in a negative fashion. I wouldn't want Jim to get into any legal confrontations. I'll hold off my vote until a law expert chimes in.

In MY FAVORITE SELLERs on MY EBAY, I have more sellers listed that I WON'T do business with than ones I consider my favorites. LOL

I have to agree with Gary. That could open up legal battles with multiple guys that could cost a lot even if this site would "win" them.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Definite can of worms- sellers drift around- some sell under 2 or more IDs - some sellers just dont know what they have- should not be on this site- Just my opinion- thanks don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am not a lawyer, don't even play one on TV. But, as I started to read the post, I had the same thoughts as Gary Drye. We may be opening ourselves up to charges of restraint of trade or charged with libel, that, even if "we" are right, the cost to defend ourselves would be $$$$. I think we are doing well by educating people here and have at times th ought we may even be going too far in our comments about some people.

We all know who the "bad sellers" are, but as had been mentioned, there may be people who are inadvertently selling reproductions thinking they are real. Haven't we all been fooled by something we bought at one time or another? I know I have.

Letting companies know that people are reproducung stuff and hope they will chase downthe "license infringements" is one thing. But, probably not done as often as we would like to see.

Sorry I don't have any new ideas, but, I think the discussion on the topc is worth having.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: advertologist
Others make a habit of deceiving people

...you mean they 'make a LIVING deceiving people'... grin

Last edited by gulfiend!; Mon Feb 21 2011 12:55 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I, as I think most collectors, would like a "listing" of those who sell repops and fantasy signs as originals on a continuous basis.

It would be fantastic for the new collector who hasn't read the words and excuses of some of the "questionable" sellers. I just can't think of a way where this site doesn't take the brunt of the fallout.

We have seen how sellers like Treasureray and Mike Mas, react to being called out on their items.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
In my opinion, Jim Potts, this website, & its members has too much integrity to lose by taking the chance of legal disputes that could occur, thus messing up a great thing. Sam

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
You could just be a sticky in the proper forum: http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=8&page=1 with a general warning These ebay (craigslist,etc) sellers have put numerous fake signs, cans, etc for sale. Buyer Beware! Only the moderators/owner could add/subtract, and repeat / problem sellers would be listed. tt

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
We are not the ones selling counterfeit goods!! I would just call it "Sellers to watch out for". What seller who is selling fake signs will come after old gas? They have more of a chance to open a can of worms on themselves!!

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved