Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
just got home the economy is booming in michigan these people were paying crazy mony plus buyers fee, alot was going internet and the poor bastards were really duped this collection was 1/3 repo and they were not telling anybody i know its buyer beware but $20 repo signs going $200 plus,this guy the auctioner, has to be grinning ear to ear along with the owner of the collection just my 2 cents later dave

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Yeah, I was also blown away by the $$$ brought in for some of the obvious "Re-pop" stuff. I actually felt kinda bad for some of the internet bidders! They'll be some p.i.s.s.e.d off people when the items start getting to there new homes. One guy internet bidding spent $160.00 for a piece of metal, painted white with a Ford sticker on it. Add 18% commission, plus 6 % Michigan sales tax, plus Shipping costs!!!! Most of the original stuff was in very poor condition aswell, alot of nail polish touch-up's... I bought 3 things, paid retail prices...

Last edited by Robert77; Sat Feb 12 2011 07:52 PM.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I thought alot of those Ford & Mobil signs looked in awful good condition. Everything else seemed pretty nice (too nice) for that matter. The one thing I did notice was the headings would occasionally say "original". I made the assumption that anything authentic had original in the description to help boost the price, otherwise it was repro. Then I saw the prices going way high, so I thought maybe the stuff is real. THANK YOU to the guys who went for letting the rest of us know the real deal.

If the auctioneer isn't going to assist internet buyers in distinquishing between real and repro, the forum may want to consider adding auction houses to the known & suspected unmarked reproduction section so that buyers can do a little extra research before placing a bid. Even though I'm Ford guy, I would be extremely upset to get a sign with a sticker on it for $160. Thanks again for the report. I feel much better about what my gut was telling me.

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: texaspelican
I have noticed some suspect pieces in there like the Mobil toppers. I know they repopped those a long time ago. No sizes mentioned on any of the signs so it's hard to tell without being there on a few of them.

I thought so...some of the items didn't pass the smell test from here..
can anyone tell me about the Ethyl pump sign? Red with ethyl in the center, I believe had premium arched across the top and gasoline on the bottom...can't remember what lot number it was. Real or repop?...what did it go for?

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Paddy,

The Premium ethyl pump plate brought $250. It's the second one I've seen. Won't know if it's real, until I get it.

Butch

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: Robert77
One guy internet bidding spent $160.00 for a piece of metal, painted white with a Ford sticker on it. Add 18% commission, plus 6 % Michigan sales tax, plus Shipping costs!!!! Most of the original stuff was in very poor condition aswell, alot of nail polish touch-up's... I bought 3 things, paid retail prices...

If you read the terms of the auction company when you sign up online...they also charge a $20 -$50 handling charge besides the UPS plus insurance. It doesn't specify if the handling charge is per item....but I would not be surprised.
Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Butch,saw where you were the high bidder on it before the auction started...It was the only thing that I saw that I would have been interested in ...I noticed that the tag in the picture was covering part of the sign and was wondering did they do that to hide anything? Hope it worked out for you my friend. It was also only the second one I ever saw myself....You know if you ever get tired of it you know where it can go.........Guess I will see you and your brother Marvin at Pate like every year.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
I've had one of the Premium Ethyl pump plates in my collection for about 13 years or more. Best I can tell it is original. Had never seen another until this auction. There are no markings on the sign and no areas or touch up or porcelain loss where a date could have been. The back is also heavily shelved porcelain.

Bill Fortune
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Paddy,

I had to put in a absentee bid, as I was away from the house. We'll all be at Pate. See you there.

Butch

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
Lots of repops. Unless you were a total newbie, or bidding online, it was pretty obvious. I like the Bear Alignment sign with /00 on the bottom and the spelling error. It went for $100, so the buyer probably new it wasn't "old". The guy who bought the winged FORD sign for $1,100 will be very upset.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved