Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Tolkheim, that's a good idea about marking relidded cans. I won't buy a relidded can no matter how much I want the can. Do I have any? Yes, but they were bought many years ago before I even knew you could fill and relid a can.

That is also a good idea about marking pump parts although convincing the producers probably won't happen. I don't see pump parts as big a concern as signs, cans, etc. Pumps are like collectible cars and need the sum of their parts to be whole. By being able to complete a pump, a piece of history is preserved. And I'm talking about parts for an ORIGINAL pump...NOT these repo POS pumps being made nowadays. I place these fake pumps in the same category as the fake larger signs and cans.

Repo'ed pump parts bring the pumps back from the dead. What does a repo'ed sign or can do. Does it complete anything? Is it needed to make something else original or functional? I don't think so. They are there because "I can't afford a real one". Well, boo hoo...and welcome to the world of collecting.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I think all''''''''''''''never mind I don't want to cause this thread to end early ;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IS THIS A JOKE? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A HAND'S DOWN "NO BRAINIER WITH THIS COMMUNITY? HOW ON EARTH DID THIS COME UP FOR A POLL? NOTHING AGAINST YOU PADDY BUT.........................????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? SHOULD THEY BE DATED?????????????????????????????????????????????COME ON .....SERIOUSLY! I HOPE BRUCEY BRUCE H. IS READING THIS THREAD & CHIME'S IN ON FAKE SIGNS, HE RIPPED ME OFF ON A FAKE HUMBLE SIGN HERE RECENTLY! I THINK THEY ALL SHOULD BE CRIMINALLY PURSUED!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, the poll is partly because Mikemas expressed these comments in a reply to me;

Originally Posted By: Mikemas
Bob,

I don't have any idea what you're getting at - to make one blanket statement that just because you don't like reproduction signs, that no one else on this forum has the right to like them is unfair and self-serving.

Quick question - does your broad statement pertain to reproductions cover Pump globes and pump accessories as well?

I told him he should take a poll and see if my reply was just my own or if it is the general consensus of the membership.

My post pertained to the unmarked repops and fantasy items, he and others sell.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Lone wolf I guess, as marking anything, Gas Globes etc really doesnt matter much either way I see. Any repo especially if it is exact or a perfect copy like T-Ways globes(no offense) will kill the interest of some people looking to buy an original. Most will settle for a repo marked or not to put on their pump vs. nothing at all.
Perfect Example: 1950s Double Bubble Glass clocks, pedal cars, serving trays and ice chest coolers took a dive after all the China repops came over. They are marked and dated but take away from the interest and pricing of the original ones...especially the common ones. A good reproduction Gas Globe with or without a date is no different. Dont get me wrong, New repop Gas Globes really top off a restored pump but what about someone holding the original globe hoping to sell it to the same person needing one for his pump. Its all about money.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W/O a makers mark/Date, how will the New collectors know they are collecting REPOP signs of the past & not original signs form the 20th Century?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
If every respectable sign company put their names and dates on signs - then only the thieves who "age" signs would have full reign to sell their signs as originals. You guys don't think for a minute a guy who produces a sign to pass off as an old sign is going to date it do you?

Bottom line - it's not a problem - Sellers like Miles and VC signs, us, and others have sold reproduction signs with no problem for years. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with a guy buying a beautiful sign from the past at an affordable price. Not everyone can afford to spend six grand on a Clipper gas sign.

Regards

So since others are doing it, you feel that you need to get some of that action?
Sellers like Miles? So what your saying is that Miles is involved? What is this relationship? If Miles (and I will ask him the next time I see him) is he moving unmarked reproductions and trying to deceive collectors? If that is true, then I would lose all respect for him.
As for you Mikemas...You have already proven that you don't deserve my trust or respect. quote from mikemas "If every respectable sign company put their names and dates on signs - then only the thieves who "age" signs would have full reign to sell their signs as originals. You guys don't think for a minute a guy who produces a sign to pass off as an old sign is going to date it do you?"
those would be dishonest guys.
there are reproduction sign companies that are dating or marking their stuff.

nuff said.

Last edited by texaspelican; Sat Feb 12 2011 11:09 AM.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I voted marked, but there is something everyone is missing. What if someone casts a reproduction of a door for the Fry Mae West pump, should this be marked? How about the small porcelain sign that says FRY that attaches to the pipe near the cylinder, should it be marked. If I reproduce a light kit for the ECO air meters, should it be marked?

I have a late 1920s magazine showing old furniture and in it are ads for reproduction pieces, repros of items that were originally made in the late 1800s. I wonder were these marked, and that 1800s chair you wife just bought, was it real or was it a repro?

If anyone expects the reproducers to mark their items, lives in a dream world.

Knowledge, knowledge, knowledge.

My assumption is that by now all of you have a lap top computer. Why not start by copying my gas pump book into the computer, put it in files so that you can easily find the pump or pages you want. Then copy my air meter book, than the globe books, sign books, salt & pepper book, handy oiler books, etc. As long as you are not selling this info or distributing it, it is not against copyrights. It is for your personal use. Then start copying into certain files every question posted here about wether or not an item is a repro or not. Copy articles from the petro mags, put them in files. Now you only have to have one thing on the seat of your truck when you go to that farm sale, auction, swapmeet.
Buy the books, copy them, then sell the book to someone else. Why buy something then two days later ask the guys here if it is a repro or not, or what is it worth.
I just bought a Kindle, and if I read the instructions correctly, you can download files into it, if this is true, all you will need is this small thing you can put in your pocket. You can buy a Kindle for reference and another one for the books you read.
Why try and keep all this info in your head, when you can keep it in your pocket.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sat Feb 12 2011 11:21 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jack my fault..I sould have titled it as reproduction, signs, globes, and cans.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: DIESEL
IS THIS A JOKE? I THOUGHT THIS WAS A HAND'S DOWN "NO BRAINIER WITH THIS COMMUNITY? HOW ON EARTH DID THIS COME UP FOR A POLL? NOTHING AGAINST YOU PADDY BUT.........................????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? SHOULD THEY BE DATED?????????????????????????????????????????????COME ON .....SERIOUSLY! I HOPE BRUCEY BRUCE H. IS READING THIS THREAD & CHIME'S IN ON FAKE SIGNS, HE RIPPED ME OFF ON A FAKE HUMBLE SIGN HERE RECENTLY! I THINK THEY ALL SHOULD BE CRIMINALLY PURSUED!

Chris, this is what rekindled this debate all over again.

first one

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=230641&page=1

then a second one.

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=233025&page=1

he called our hand.

Paddy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Even the U.S. Government can't stop the Forgery/Counterfeiting of U.S. Dollars. So all we can do is hope.

I would just like to make the statement that I agree with you guys there are far too many transactions on Ebay and in auctions to where these guys are getting away with stealing. Let me also say, I have no problem selling reproduction signs with dates or ID either if it would help resolve the problem, but I really don’t see it happening.

To just make a blanket statement that all repo’s should be banished from the face of the earth is not going to work. I did a quick search on eBay for “reproduction Signs” and came back with 773 results. Repo’s are big business, just because a handful of guys are taking advantage of repo’s to make a quick buck, does not make every company who sells them a bad guy. This sort of falls in the “Hand Gun” topic - to where if we take all the hand guns from all the honest people then only thieves and crooks would have hand guns, or in our case, bogus repo’s.

While I know a lot of die-hards will disagree – but there is nothing wrong with owning a reproduction of a sign from the past. Not everyone especially in today’s economy can afford to own an original sign, so why can’t a guy have an opportunity to own some of the great signs from the past and admire it and share this era with his friends?

Thanks – Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WE don't care that REPOP's are being made. WE would like to see ALL REPOP's MARKED/DATED in a permanent manner.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
All repops should be marked somewhere...after you've been collecting for a while you can generally "tell" whats real and whats not (most of the time)...cheats will always chip off a date or "burn" signs to rip people off though...There's a few clowns I always see at the larger antique shows...every one of their signs look like they've been through fire...been burried...dinged up a with a hammer...yada yada yada...if you've been to carlisle or hershey you've likey seen their stuff...

Wanted: Husky Cans/Signs, Interesting Pump Plates and NC Road Signage

Website www.petrojoe.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Can you imagine, buying an item from Mikemas? And then having a problem with it?

The way he dances here, never answering direct questions about the repops he sells. Imagine how much help one would get to solve any problems.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved