Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#232518 Thu Feb 10 2011 11:29 AM
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Who actually remade this sign:
I know who has sold it, just wanting to know who made it.

Thanks
Mark

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I do believe these originate with this seller.

I'm not positive he actually makes them himself - but he seems to be the original seller of all these so-called "Re-Issues".

FYI -NOT in fact a re-issue as that is only possible if the ORIGINAL COMPANY was the one that authorized - and had produced - the re-issued item.

Brand new unmarked reproductions or fantasy items using computer-generated type fonts.

Later . . .

Jim

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
the two auctions are from two seperate sellers

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Sorry, I ment 'treasureray' is the individual I think is responsible for these being produced.

The Seller 'lacie51' is also selling these - but I think he gets them from treasureray.

Later . . .

Jim

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I believe those are made by Vintage Concepts Company in PA.. He makes a limited number of them. vcsigns.com is the site.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bud:

You are correct about VC - but the majority of the signs in question were never sold by them. T-ray may be having them actually make the signs - but VC is not selling any of them on his site.

VC did make the oval Clipper sign and it is/was date-marked at the bottom. Vintage Concepts has been very good about following Copyright/Trademark rules and date-marking the products they make. The Clipper image has been sold out on VC's site for some time now.

As far as I can see, NONE of these so-called 'Re-issue' signs have a date on them anywhere. Once they are sold for the first time - there is no way to tell by looking at them when they were produced.

Later . . .

Jim

Hey guys, this is a re-issue of the old Socony sign. It is a beautiful 2-sided flange sign just like the original yet instead of costing thousands of dollars, guys can enjoy the beauty of this great sign at a very affordable price for their collection be it vintage or a mix of modern signs.

By the way, anyone can re-issue a sign it is not limited to the parent company, also this sign is not made by VC signs.

Have a great evening!

By the way, while I'm sure it was just an oversight - I was not sure why this sign ended up in this "unmarked" thread since it is clearly marked as a "new" sign. No one is trying to pass this sign as an original. I have quoted below a line from our description.

Many Thanks

"Ok when it comes to re-issue signs this is about as good as they get. This item is a Socony Motor Gasoline porcelain coated flange sign. This is an entirely new item and the sign is made to replicate the famous and collectable Standard Service sign of the past. The sign is large and measures 20" x 24" and is constructed of very thick 14 gauge steel. I have a close up showing the gauge of this sign"

Last edited by Mikemas; Thu Feb 10 2011 06:31 PM.
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Mike,

Not saying you were trying to sell this one as original. Yes it is a great reissue/reproduction/etc.

I was just curious who actually manufactured it.

I picked this thread mainly for the "reproduction" piece of it.

Thanks
Mark

Mark,

No problem - I'm trying to work with the forum members to earn their trust in my store. I recently made some changes to my wording on some items. Seems there is a few different opinions with regard how items listed should be worded.

I can say this - I invite anyone to look through my eBay feedback there has not been one complaint with regard to our wording or the authenticity of our vintage or modern signs. We work very hard to run a 100% professional store that conforms to eBay's policies.

Thanks

Mike

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Now that you referred to it, is it marked in any way by the maker?
thanks
Mark

M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Thanks Mike for responding.

The reason I ask is that its becomes a problem down the road.
and its been a topic of MANY discussions on here.
(Not that marking a sign totally prevents fraud either-they just chip away the markings!)

So the initial sellers of the items are generally honest.

Then some buyer down the road decides to chip them up and sell them as original. This applies to ALL and any reproduction signs(I'm not singling you out). I see this as a HUGE problem in a few years.

So the goal here is we try to get people educated on what is authentic and what is not. And when we can, try to get the manufacturers (whoever they are) to mark reproductions as reproductions so later on we can have a reference point on the sign to look out for.

And we also try to get the people that arent upfront or evasive in their descriptions to do so-some do and then some tell us some colorful words and do nothing.The goal being to educate the buying public. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

To be honest, my whole reason for bringing up this whole thread was to find a source for this sign and potentially pay less for it. I am the one that called you about it tonight.

(I wasnt trying to get on a soapbox about repos or about you or your auctions-)

Thanks again
Mark Standard

Mark,

I fully understand - however it is not common business practice to reveal our vendors names for competitive reasons. In addition, most sign manufactures do not distribute their products on at retail level. The sign is priced respectably and it is a well made product that should last for years.

Have a great weekend!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So Mike - are you going to answer the question or not?

ARE THESE BRAND NEW SIGNS MARKED WITH A CURRENT DATE OF MANUFACTURER?

This is the reason these signs are being discussed here in the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproduction' section.

You've posted a number of justifications/explainations on these - but never answered the main question we are asking.

Later . . .

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: T-way
So Mike - are you going to answer the question or not?

ARE THESE BRAND NEW SIGNS MARKED WITH A CURRENT DATE OF MANUFACTURER?

This is the reason these signs are being discussed here in the 'Known & Suspected Unmarked Reproduction' section.

You've posted a number of justifications/explainations on these - but never answered the main question we are asking.

Later . . .

Jim

I would like to know? I don't have a problem with them as long as they are clearly marked.

Last edited by texaspelican; Fri Feb 11 2011 07:43 AM.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
M
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
M
Mark,

I fully understand - however it is not common business practice to reveal our vendors names for competitive reasons. In addition, most sign manufactures do not distribute their products on at retail level. The sign is priced respectably and it is a well made product that should last for years.

Have a great weekend!

Mike,
I agree with you. I wouldnt reveal my source either if I was selling them.

I'm just cheap!
Mark

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is an exert from a posting on another thread on Oldgas from yesterday, Maybe it will give some insight to the maker.

Now to the general audience has anyone done business with RC Media Collectables. They are the company in Roanoke, VA making the copies of lots of signs. Plenty examples ... seller name lacie52

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Regarding most of our re-issue signs, they are modern signs and they are not dated nor does the manufactures name appear on the sign.

Regarding the date appearing on a sign - I can't think of anyone who wants to see a perfectly good looking sign from the past with a current date showing. Most sign makers don't build signs to combat the thieves who scar up signs and pour acid on them to otherwise age the sign and sell them for old. In addition, having a date on a modern sign is worthless since they can also just chip away the date as well.

Thanks

Incorrect!

I am not the maker of any signs on my site. I'm just another retailer who buys signs all over the country from numerous sign makers and sell them like hundreds of other vendors on eBay.

I am puzzled why there is so much attention regarding these signs. I just returned from the Moultrie, GA show and there were numerous sign vendors there whose sign display booth area was a 1/4 acre of just about every possible sign you could imagine. Not one sign was dated nor did any ID what-so ever appear on the signs. I'm therefore puzzled why is it so important to have the date and maker just on the signs we sell?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
This is an exert from a posting on another thread on Oldgas from yesterday, Maybe it will give some insight to the maker.

Now to the general audience has anyone done business with RC Media Collectables. They are the company in Roanoke, VA making the copies of lots of signs. Plenty examples ... seller name lacie52

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Please, do us all a favor and yourself. Just leave the site. Every time you post, you lose customers and you aren't smart enough to know why.

In this hobby as a whole, we try to collect ORIGINAL items. When we do have to collect a reproduction sign, can, globe etc... We want those items marked as reproductions. That way the repop doesn't lessen the value of the original item.

This concept that you must not comprehend is universal; repop furniture is marked, repop "kit cars" marked, repop art marked...appliances marked ..etc.

You have made it clear by your postings and your advertising, that you could care less about this hobby. And as I said before, thank you! Those who are in the hobby or those thinking about starting, read that your signs are fake. Not the same size as originals... etc.

Since they are fake and unmarked, even more people reading these posts will spend their money elsewhere.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob,

I don't have any idea what you're getting at - to make one blanket statement that just because you don't like reproduction signs, that no one else on this forum has the right to like them is unfair and self-serving.

Quick question - does your broad statement pertain to reproductions cover Pump globes and pump accessories as well?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Do a survey yourself on what the membership thinks of unmarked repops and fantasy items. And then tell me, that it was a blanket statement by one person...

You are like a "sore tooth". You don't seem to go away, no matter what one does to alleviate the pain, until one goes to the dentist and has the tooth cared for or pulled.

IMO, you should be pulled from OLDGAS. You aren't here to benefit the hobby or the members. In fact you do everything in your power to lessen the value of our original items and looking at your headers on auction items, you are still using words like "Old style" and "re-issue" to describe your fake signs.

Oh yes, if you read what I wrote. You will see I DID include repop GLOBES,SIGNS, CANS etc....

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm going to take my own advise and consider this subject beaten to death. So no worries, I am through. (on this subject... LOL)

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Bob, In fairness I understood the topic was started by Mark wanting to know who made the new repop Socony sign so he could buy one cheaper than Mikes price. He wanted one.

I for one cant afford originals and most I see at shows are overpriced with gold price tags. I just looked at T-Ways graphic website for repop globes and decals and you didn’t jump on him? How come? He makes decals that arent marked or dated on his webpages. Plus a glass globe in a frame how can you see any date anyway. I know I cant. Sorry if I opened a can of snakes. Good night.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T-Way's (jim) reproduction globes are marked at the 12:00 postion and you can see them when they are in metal, capco, and glass bodies.
Decals are copies of the orginal pump plates/signs.
back in the day if the pumps used decals and not signs they were water transfer and not vinyl....
As orginals being overpriced at shows maybe you have a lot of learning to do...yes most vendors and dealers of orginal items usually are priced a little on the high side but always have some wiggle room on their asking price. It's up to the potenial buyer to make a counter offer and some times an agreement can be reached....I never saw a buyer come up to the dealer and say...could you go higher? your not asking enough! nor have I ever heard the dealer go up in his asking price while working a deal with the buyer....it's the seller to go down and the buyer to go up on there offer. I know that some dealers overprice their stuff to keep the tire kickers away. The true diehard educated collector will always make an offer and some will just pay the overpriced item because they have deep pockets.
Some dealers have item/items underpriced. everyear at Iowa gas I always manage to buy one or two items that is underpriced. example..bought three items last year (only one at Iowa gas). Globe for $1250...true value $3000, sign for $3000...true value $5000-6500..one for $850, true value was $8000(now that was a home run)..never once did I say, your not asking enough, here's some more money!

As far as reproduction's, they need to be marked!!! The orginal buyer knows their unmarked repop is a repop, but what about the future owners of that same sign?

There are some killer orginal signs that I would love to have but those same signs were reproduced and they were unmarked. Now I won't buy any of those because they maybe repop's and I hate to turn good money into bad money!

The reason I usually don't post on buys of the week is that I don't want my image of my rare item being used as a repop...that would make my rare pricy item drop in value...yes that has happened before... twice on two different signs.had to threaten a lawsuit because I know the family that still holds the copyrights and they were ready to launch a pack of attorneys on them. Production was ceased and and all of the freshly made reproductions were siezed!!!
Making reproductions is a way to protect the collector of orginal items....look what happened to orginal Coca-cola values when they overproduce reprodution items. Prices droped quickly of those orginal items like a paratrooper when his chute failed to deploy....
Mikemas please in the future when you buy your inventory from you suppliers that you would ask for them to mark them or your just hurting our hobby.

nuff said

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most if Not all of T-way's decals are VINYL & Jim does mark his Globes as Does Mike Slama.
I make Copy & Fantasy cans & ALL are dated & have been since I started making them.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Fri Feb 11 2011 10:22 PM. Reason: Too manyMistakes w/ 1 hand typig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Paddy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
Regarding the date appearing on a sign - I can't think of anyone who wants to see a perfectly good looking sign from the past with a current date showing.

Umm...failed logic here Mike...it's not a 'good looking sign from the past" It's a brand new sign. Big difference.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Mikemas
In addition, having a date on a modern sign is worthless since they can also just chip away the date as well.

That's like saying people are going to do drugs anyway so there's nothing wrong with me selling it to them.

If every respectable sign company put their names and dates on signs - then only the thieves who "age" signs would have full reign to sell their signs as originals. You guys don't think for a minute a guy who produces a sign to pass off as an old sign is going to date it do you?

Bottom line - it's not a problem - Sellers like Miles and VC signs, us, and others have sold reproduction signs with no problem for years. Like I said, there is nothing wrong with a guy buying a beautiful sign from the past at an affordable price. Not everyone can afford to spend six grand on a Clipper gas sign.

Originally Posted By: texaspelican

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Give me an I
Give me a D
Give me an I

Oh heck, I type too slow

IDIOT

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
texaspelican,

Sorry to contradict you, but I see some of T-Ways globes marked, but some arent? So therefore I dont and wouldn’t buy any globes that are priced over $100. Simple. The vinyl decals I looked at arent marked or dated that I can see, and decals whether vinyl or water can be put on anything...metal, wood etc.

FWIW only, My opinion, I saw one Big Gulf only collector member here ebaying Tshirts a while back with Gas & Oil logos he printed on them. Another sells & makes S&P shakers. Dick makes Oil Cans. Sorry, but I see no benefit to the hobby in those items myself other than money profit...even if they are marked. It is easy to talk the talk and then criticize others..

What few original signs I have look even better hanging next to a cheap repop or two as they fill up the garage until I can afford to buy more originals. If I doubt what I am buying or it is pricy then I don’t buy it. Simple. Like some I see here, not everyone, I am not trying to buy, hoard up and acquire all the signs I can, hoping to be on an American Pickers show or to make a big profit selling them at auction or gasshows later on. I suggest buying Gold instead.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Someone said it before;
There are Collectors who collect OLD signs, and there are Decorators who will hang any thing on the walls.
There is a BIG difference;
You buy Gold to hope to make a profit someday.
You buy Original OLD signs to enjoy and hope to get your money back someday.
You buy Repro signs for $100. and try to get .50 cents at a future Tag Sale someday.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: KZ1000
You buy Repro signs for $100. and try to get .50 cents at a future Tag Sale someday.

Sad thing is, I've been to some auctions recently where unsuspecting bidders were running up the prices on some repop stuff.

About two weeks ago I was at one to check out a Pam clock I thought might be good to own. It turned out to be an unmarked repop lens on a cleaned up Pam body. I did my homework and got ahold of Wayne's clocks before I went and had him tell me what to look for. (I've done business with him so it wasn't a freebie deal in case you're wondering)

At this auction I overheard a couple talking about the clock and how high they might bid. I pulled the guy aside and explained the fact it was a repop. The guy was thankful and we spent considerable time talking. Turns out he recently bought a couple abandoned gas stations in southern Ohio and he gave me his card to call him about some items. Sometimes a good deal does get rewarded.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bud:

Sorry to contradict YOU - but EVERY lens I make has my company name and the currrent year date of issue on it. No exceptions.

Just because you can't see all of them on the photos on my site doesn't mean they are not there.

In the future, if you plan on making 'factual' statements on my business pratices, have the common courtesy to call me first and get your facts straight.

On the other hand, almost none of my vinyl decals (the only kind I produce) are dated. I used to do this, but the pump restorers did not like the dates on the decals - so I stopped. Since (as Dick mentioned) vinyl was NOT a product used 'back in the day', any person looking to purchase a restored pump should know that the decals are reproductions.

That beind said, any decals I make for someone that could be used to confuse the age of an item ARE dated. This includes - but is not limited to - any decals I do for clock faces, oil rack decals, and that sort of thing.

I do have plans on reproducing some porcelain/silkscreened signs in the future - and every one of those will be dated. To me, that is just the responsible thing to do for others in this hobby.

Later . . .

Jim

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Jim,
Your stuff is always done right and first class all the way.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
yep!!all my decals have been dated!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I dont care what anyone does to make a living, to a point. I am just surprised you guys let him advertise for free on here ! !
Can I ? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved