Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
I almost put this in the fakes section, but I think this is the place, feel free to move if wrong.

I almost bid on these...
ebay 130475926297

Seem like they went for a good price, and I wondered how do I know they are real? Is there any way to tell? I looked at his other auctions and they were all antique items, but that may not mean anything.

Any pointers?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There was a similar question about a Skelly globe a couple days ago. The answer to your question is the same. Educate yourself! Get the globe books. Subscribe to the magazines. Go to shows and petro auctions. Network with globe collectors and dealers.

You have to put some effort into it!

The lenses are original. They are extremely common. They're for a gill body.

What made you think they were repro's?

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
As said, the best way is to educate yourself which I understand you are trying to do here. However, the books by Benjamin and Henderson are a must if you are going to start collecting globes. They usually (not always) give info on whether a globe has been reproduced. After you consult the books, if you still are not sure, ask here...or email Scott Benjamin. He answered a question I had about a globe purchase.
I am not expert, but I agree, they are original and common. Good luck and enjoy the site
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: Lastgas15

What made you think they were repro's?

Never said I thought they were repro, just had no idea. I am more of a sign guy, just learning on cans and globes. I wouldnt mind adding a few more globes, but due to expense in that area, I will not be a collector anytime soon!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know this sounds like we are beating the subject to death, but in EVERY issue of PCM monthly, Scott writes a how-to or what-about globe article. These articles are very informative and cover things like the types of bodies out there, how to tell repos, different types and sizes of lenses, and on and on. Anyone remotely thinking about collecting globes needs to subscribe to the publication and read and study these perticular articles. I did not know anything about globes 17 years ago. I got all the books, read the articles and studied them as that was what I was interested in. The books by Benjamin and Henderson are a must and so is the magazine..........Off my soap-box now.....LOL

Online Cool

Last edited by Oldgas; Mon Jan 24 2011 06:59 AM. Reason: add globe book links

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the links Jim.

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
i see your saying about the books/articles---if they are not dated
is there something you need to look for that a dead give away

if i dont have the books or means of getting ahold of someone
and i have that rare lens at a yard sale and its price 1000.00
and it might be worth 20,000 and the guy behind me is waiting for me to put it down. what do you look for--weight of the glass--thickness of the glass i think that what he asking

looking for spanish gas signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: tulareone
i see your saying about the books/articles---if they are not dated
is there something you need to look for that a dead give away

if i dont have the books or means of getting ahold of someone
and i have that rare lens at a yard sale and its price 1000.00
and it might be worth 20,000 and the guy behind me is waiting for me to put it down. what do you look for--weight of the glass--thickness of the glass i think that what he asking

The glass itself would be the least of my concerns. You guys are looking for a quick answer. There is none. There is no substitute for experience and knowledge.
But let's say you find that lens at a yard sale. If you've done your homework you know if that design lens is known to have been used or not. You know, or at least have a good idea of what size the lens should be, and what type of body it should be mounted on. Back to the graphics on the lens... are the details "right"? Is the text the right font? Are the colors right? Turn the lens over. Does the back look "right" for that company's lens? Did you find the lens in the company's market area? If you're at a yard sale in Indiana and find a rare lens from a small company in Colorado is there a good explanation of how that lens ended up in Indiana?
Those are just some of the things you need to know to make an informed purchase.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Okay - here are some GENERAL guidlines on telling a reproduction from an original lens.

First, anything - and I mean anything - marked 'Licensed by . . ' or dated with a date in the 1980's or later is a reproduction.

Second, check out the back of the lens. If the 'white' surface is extremely smoooth, then it's likely a reproduction. Old lenses are fairly rough to the touch.

On 15.0" and 16.5" lenses. If is has an 'alignment' notch ground into the back of the glass at the 6:00 position (and it's not marked as a reproduction), it's real. (Sometimes, this ground locator notch will be at 12:00 for those lenses that were made for a 'canopy' installation.)

Lastly, 'old lenses' will somehow show some 'age'. Even if they are perfect NOS lenses. If you study them closely enough, you will see evidence of age: slight discoloration, lousy line quality on the artwork, etc. All these are indications of age.

As I mentioned at the beginning, these are general guidelines. There is NO SUBSTITUTION for educating yourself by doing some research on your own.

Pick up and look at all the lenses you come across - whether in an Auction, a Antique Shop or at any of the numerous Gas Shows across the USA. The more you see - the better you will be at recognizing the differences between old-n-new.

If you are at any of the shows we attend, feel free to stop by our booth and look at our reproduction lenses. We don't mind you picking them up and examing them. This should give you a good idea of what to expect with a newly manufactured lens.

Later . . .

Jim

1 member likes this: Mamakat
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thats some great info Jim, thanks.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings