Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#228169 Sun Jan 23 2011 06:58 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have been going to Peotone for sometime now and have only been setting up for 6 years or so. I noticed at the last show several empty spaces. Rules state only 10% reproduction parts unless your selling restoration stuff. I know outside booths have been just about everything under the sun. If Tim and Kevin are going to allow some of these guys to sell this stuff they need to be at the end so we don't waste our time.

Now saying that... i got my registration form in the mail and it went from $70 for inside or outside booths to $85 for either. Is this the most expensive gas show out there now? I drive over 4 hours to this show and have been debating every year should i go or not and but end up going. I love going to the show and hanging around with friends but this might have been the straw that broke the camels back for me.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #228190 Sun Jan 23 2011 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
They get more foot traffic than just about any show around except maybe the Indy ad show and that cost $300. Don't give up on it. Only takes one good find or sale to make your show.

bustermonty #228200 Sun Jan 23 2011 08:37 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I think Columbia had about the same foot traffic.
Here is the problem! I don't want to pay $50 to get in on Sat. so i get a booth and set up but i don't have much to sell. I have a helper and the helper helps pay for the booth so i am in on sat. for less than the $50. Remember i am not much of a seller... i more of a buyer. Mainly globes for me. LOL From a buyers point only it is costly, 9 hours of driving, motel, and cost of show... last 2 years i haven't brought much home.

Jarvis #228237 Mon Jan 24 2011 01:18 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't remember seeing empty spaces last fall but I think there were some last spring.

I used to set up there. They draw a tremendous crowd on Sunday but the serious selling was always on Saturday. My Saturday sales were almost always double what my Sunday sales were.

I'm sure Tim & Kevin's expenses have gone up. They do allot of mailings and postage has gone up so that's where part of the rent increase goes. They also buy newspaper advertising which isn't cheap, but strangely enough they don't advertise in the Kankakee paper which has large readership in the area immediately to the south of the show. The show has always been a tad on the expensive side for vendors compared to other shows, but very few shows get the turn out Peotone does. The price increase won't be as much of an issue for guys that sell more expensive stuff, but for the average collector that just wants to peddle a few things so they can upgrade their collection it definitely becomes an issue. I've heard from two people that have set up in recent years that are doubtful they'll set up this time. The promoters need to charge enough that they turn a profit, and I want them to make money as that will ensure the show is around in the future.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Lastgas15 #228251 Mon Jan 24 2011 05:57 AM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob i agree that Kevin and Tim do a great job with the show. I am sure the price increase is a direct effect of the rent for the building. I think i remember Dan Matthews saying they raised the price of the building.
If that is the case... find some place that is cheaper... most everyone drives hours to get there so 15 miles either way doesn't matter.
I just hope they would try to keep the cost down. I try to go to many gas shows every year, not just 1 or 2 and it costs to do these. Buying is only have of it for me... if it wasn't for the friends i talk to at the shows it would be easier to buy things right here from my computer. Sitting here at the computer isn't near the fun as going to a show!!!!!

Jarvis #228255 Mon Jan 24 2011 06:31 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
you have to pay to play , if any one out there thinks they can do it cheaper go for it. after all their expences i dont think they are getting rich later dave

warriorgas #228256 Mon Jan 24 2011 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jarvis, quit griping about having to come off the hip a little. You are so cheap you squeek when you walk, literally now!!!! LOL. Go ahead and get that bad hip fixed ole man like I did and get on down the road pain-free. Just pay your money to the man, go to Peotone and enjoy yourself. While there, pick me up a good ripple for my professional advice the other day on the phone.......

Last edited by roger cherry; Mon Jan 24 2011 06:41 AM.
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
LOL Roger. professional advice is funny.

I will most likely pay it and go but here is where i am going with this. Shows are struggling anyway, raising the price 20% might keep some vendors from coming back to an already struggling show. Vendors quit coming and so do the customers through the door. It can trickle fast!

Jarvis #228265 Mon Jan 24 2011 07:30 AM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Jarvis,

I would tend to believe Iowa is the most expensive. It could be worse you could be located in Memphis or Tulsa and face 6-8 hour drives to the nearest petrolania shows.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

okoil1 #228271 Mon Jan 24 2011 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Went to a bottle and advertising show in Jackson, Mississippi this past weekend....5.5 hrs one way.

Pate swap meet, Fort Worth...6 hrs.
Columbia, Mo. 16 hrs.
Iowa Gas 19 hrs
Mich gas show....(flying to this one)
Columbus 23 hrs.
Dixie gas 12+ hrs.
Dry Creek Gas Bash, Alabama 10 hrs.
Gas stuff show, New York 29 hrs.

I have attended all of these shows in the past( except Mich and Gas stuff) and will make all of these this year but Columbia (cancelled at the last minute).

If I only had to drive 4+ hrs to a gas show I sure wouldn't complain.

FYI...Iowa gas is 40 bucks per space.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
L
L
OK, I'm confused. You talk about "Saturday sales", but I didn't think the show opened until Sunday. So, do some people set up a booth just for the ability to get a jump on the 'for sale' items before the show is opened to everyone else on Sunday? I know there is a premium price for early admittance on Sunday morning, but I don't remember seeing anything about Saturday.

Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am sure Tim and Kevin are not getting rich on Peotone swap meet. LOL
Just saying to keep shows alive the cost needs to be reasonable. I can say i don't think i have ever sold anything at this show... not that i even try to really. If the building to rent is getting to costly look at other venues.

lv2xlr8 #228328 Mon Jan 24 2011 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: lv2xlr8
OK, I'm confused. You talk about "Saturday sales", but I didn't think the show opened until Sunday. So, do some people set up a booth just for the ability to get a jump on the 'for sale' items before the show is opened to everyone else on Sunday? I know there is a premium price for early admittance on Sunday morning, but I don't remember seeing anything about Saturday.

You can pay $50 per person to get in on Saturday. It is $20 to get in at 6:30a.m. on Sunday and $5 to get in after 8 on Sunday.

Last edited by Tara Worsham; Mon Jan 24 2011 01:33 PM. Reason: put correct day
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Most of the vendors are collectors as well. There's allot of vendor to vendor sales on Saturday.

Last edited by Lastgas15; Mon Jan 24 2011 04:02 PM.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I can’t speak for the promoters of the Peotone shows but I can fully understand the price increase in vendor spaces. The cost of promoting a show increase every year just like everything else… Most shows aren’t put on for profit, there a LABOR of love. Once you pay building rental, rentals, insurance, fire marshal inspection, heat, advertising, snow removal, etc you realize it’s not cheap to put on a show!....

We are fortunate, we have been able to keep our costs down there for allowing us to pass that savings on to the vendors and any extra money is put back into the show or donated. If we had to rent a larger building or have more heat our spaces would have to go up as well.

So, I guess what I’m saying is that a 15$ space increase isn’t that much at all. Compared to some of the shows that are out there (Indy Ad Show, Atlantic City, ETC) $85.00 is a BARGAIN, especially considering the foot traffic the show draws. Spend the money, support the show and have a good time, that’s what it’s about!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved