Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
gmstuff Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Ebay Auction #150547992314

This is an old clock/ sign that has had a new (fantasy) face added. Check the other auctions, all three of the signs he is selling are fantasy repops on original light boxes. Who buys this *****?

M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
what you're questioning a light box with patina on the metal but a BRIGHT white glass face on it that had light bulbs on it for 52 years with no bugs, dust, or cracking???

Someone has just taken REALLY good care of it..
Along with the other two......

probably got some Pam clocks that have that problem too

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Wow and people are bidding on that *****!

LUCKY'S LONESTAR GAS & OIL

««Looking for the Sinclair Mobiline and Pennsylvania Motor Oil Vertical Signs
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WAS PONTIAC EVEN USING A HEAD LIKE THAT IN 1959? LOOKS REALLY ODD TO ME.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gmstuff
Ebay Auction #150547992314

This is an old clock/ sign that has had a new (fantasy) face added. Check the other auctions, all three of the signs he is selling are fantasy repops on original light boxes. Who buys this *****?

...it's easy for the 'newbies' to be taken in with an original clock body with a new face...by definition, it's an 'old clock', that's just been 'restored'...they don't know/haven't learned where the collectible value lies in such a piece...

...your local flea market probably has an old school clock that some unscrupulous individual has seen fit to doctor, by slapping a decal on the face...'that's an old Gulf clock, look at the scratches on the back side', etc...there are LOTS of old clocks out there - very few of them had advertising...even some original advertising clocks with rather boring or non-graphic advertising have had 'face transplants' to make them more desirable...

...I think such tinkering adversely affects the value of old advertising clocks in general...enough of this kind of thing, and large numbers of collectors start getting so scared of getting ripped off, that they stay away from all of them, even the authentic clocks...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thats why I left the dust on my(I dont know what to call it)true fantacy clock. I was using my thinken cap on this one. It even left the original glue from the sticker, from where ever I bought it. I guess I could have thrown it away since the face was bad. Naa I dont think so

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
There are at least 3 sellers offering these fantasty signs and clocks on Ebay and all state it is original or skate around the truth. I have witnessed some big money for John Deere related fake signs. Bidders also need to do their homework. They are far from looking like originals.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved