Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
gulfiend! #225095 Wed Jan 12 2011 08:26 AM
C
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
C
Thank you, I apologize just seemed close to home after the item I had for sale.

Craig
gulfiend! #225098 Wed Jan 12 2011 08:42 AM
Online Cool
Different strokes for different folks.

There have always been different perspectives for those at opposite ends of the income spectrum. The hobby needs both the budget newcomer who buys the common and less-than-mint items as well as the guys who can pull the quick trigger on high dollar items. Both can get screwed by a con-artist who fraudulently represents new as old or fantasy as real. Both need to know as much as they can about what they are buying.

We may complain that crazy high prices at Barrett-Jackson or someplace else will drive up prices at other venues. If you are a seller, you say "Yay!" and if you are a buyer, you say, "Boo to high prices!" It's all in where you are standing.

Let's be glad there are budget buyers as well as high-end buyers, as it keeps a full range to keep the ball rolling.

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed Jan 12 2011 08:45 AM. Reason: Spelling!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
gulfiend! #225116 Wed Jan 12 2011 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...first off, I didn't see this topic as anything but a free plug for the auction at Barrett-Jackson, not a 'service' to the Oldgas community...

Umm...help me out here..I think that's exactly what this site is all about isn't it? The category heading for this thread is "petroleum news" right?? If Aumann, Matthews, Barrett-Jackson, or anyone else is having an auction, this site is about getting the word out and reminding people when it is. I really don't see the harm in any of that.

My post was not meant to infer the originator of this thread was being personally attacked..but rather he's just trying to inform the members about an event that's upcoming and the thread deteriorates into an
opinion-fest regarding the merits of Barrett-Jackson auctions. I seriously doubt that was ever the intention of him originating this thread.

And..the originator of this thread is exactly correct when he says this is the reason many people don't post on here anymore.

Ohio Oil #225119 Wed Jan 12 2011 10:15 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Ummmmmm

Maybe it's because they don't know the words to the song we're singing around the campfire.

Melodramatic comes to mind.

LMAO

blacktee #225138 Wed Jan 12 2011 01:11 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Gulfiend; I'm with you when you said you did'nt like punching good signs for neon when they were not originally. I pesonally wouldn,t give the same money after it was punched then what it was worth before. just my opinion and we all know what that's worth ;;;;;;Ron

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
People Have the right to spend their money on what they want and how they want to. In your eyes it looks like they made a bad investment which may be true. In their eyes they bought something they like and will enjoy. I do not agree with the comment of "more money then brains". Don't get me wrong- There are a lot of stupid people out there who blow all the money they inherited from family or wherever. There are some people that work their ***** off to earn what they have. They may not be as educated on their purchase as most of us try to be- but they see the item and they want it-so they take a shot and buy it. I am not looking to start an argument here by all means. People will do what they want to do and spend their money on what they want. I would rather see them spend their money on AMERICAN HISTORY then the ***** that is imported from china. Just my 2 cents!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Fri Jan 14 2011 07:52 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Originally Posted By: Gas stuff.com
Well said Oiljobber!!!! And I agree with Ohio oil.....
Ditto!!!

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
After reading oiljobber's post I do agree with some points. Just because your friend bought all of these signs for more money than the current market value at the time, does not mean he is smart. He made an investment and did well due to the way this hobby has been going(good) compared to many other collector hobbies which is very poor. If the gas and oil collector market went in the other direction- he would be sitting with a lot of signs that he overpaid for and could not move. It's like the stock market- you can have a bad performing company with a great stock price- THE MARKET DETERMINES THE VALUE!!! Your friend did good on his investment which is great- But at the end of the day as with almost any industry-Stocks, Real Estate, Collector cars ect- The market determines the value-Your sign is only worth what someones wants to pay for it.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
cmeon66 #226927 Tue Jan 18 2011 06:50 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I heard it cost about $300 to become a bidder and with $300 you get 10 alcoholic drinks. What a grand idea to get more money from the "smart" rich people....I think their ego also gets inflated.

Last edited by Recycle68; Tue Jan 18 2011 06:57 PM.

Gas Pumps, Farmall tractors and 1968 Chevrolet Impalas
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved