Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Advertologist that the last one sold in Mattews auction was NOT an original...The sign that Signofthepast has up for sale is original imo....
IMO the ONLY Texaco Marine or Texaco Motor Oil signs with the boats and seagulls,etc. that are originals have an ink date stamp on the left side of the sign...
The marine signs have been reproduced probably 5 times in the last 20 years and each one tries to be perfect from changing the dates to fixing the script on the boat but they seem to miss something each time...anyways there are far too many signs out there compared to the tiny bit of advertising to be found....i asked earlier if anyone has even a picture of a marine sign in use on a building or can rack and no response...there are thousands of photo's of old texaco stations and not ONE with a marine sign in one...guess that shows the ACTUAL rareity of the sign....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: minuteman
..there are thousands of photo's of old texaco stations and not ONE with a marine sign in one...guess that shows the ACTUAL rareity of the sign....mm

Wouldn't the Marine signs, just mostly, have been used in or near the marinas? Maybe just a small amount been used at service stations? Just asking, don't really know...

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Why wouldn't one have been used in a service station to promote and sell marine products to the general motoring public? Seems to me that a lot of individuals probably owned boats and would benefit from using those products???

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Of the many other companies that sold Marine/Outboard oil, how many of you have seen a picture displaying the cans or advertising?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Kevin

Because Texaco was cheap especially with Independent Stations. (Giving out advertising pieces to the owners). I'm assumimg porcelain signs single and double sided were not cheap in their day ? I'm also assuming that Marine products was a very small portion of their business. Yes, big Marinas did land them gas and oil business. Those also were the ones that had the 2' X 8' signs outside them that came with white & blackT's. You can find dozens of the signs in photographs. My father usually had a case at best of outboard moto oil in the back room. His good customers would just ask for it, on weekend trips to the lake or they would mix/fill at the pumps with their old outboards tanks. Owners did not have room for marine racks plain and simple. Cigarette, pop, and candy machines feed that owners family. If a owner had the room for a oil rack you can bet it was full of 20 weight.... I'd also bet that most marine signs and racks were at marinas inside the buildings. That is why we can't find photos of them. I've been searching 12 years for them and other Texaco photos. I have found one photograph with a 8" X 12" Marine Ships Wheel Pump Plate...

It should be noted by any serious Texaco collector, that these signs also came with BlackT's both on painted metal and porcelain...

On another note, Has anyone EVER seen a Texaco Upper Cylinder Lubricant display rack from the early 30's, the ones that held the bottles ?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Maybe just maybe the reason these crooks miss something on a reproduction could be the difference between jail and prison time. "But Judge look, "It's not the same sign"

They do this and all (better not say all) reproduction signs on purpose that way............ From Coke to Ford, do you guys all honestly think in todays age, someone can't copy the correct font to use ?

All these years on oldgas for me and no one has ever mentioned that !

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Blacktee: Long story short. I did see apicture of an old texaco station in Montana that had a Marine sign and oilrack. It was near a lake, not on it...The guy who owned it was in his late 80s when I met him and he had several marine signs (still in original shipping carton) amd had some marine rack signs in the shop. I was never ale to convince him to sell me any and he died a few years later. When I got up to that area later, the shop and house ahd been torn down. Couldn't track down any relatives. Good to see you posting again Doug.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #222800 Sat Jan 01 2011 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is there anybody on here that owns one of these
(an original) so we can see what the back looks like?
THANK YOU & HAPPY NEW YEAR

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
will post pic's in a day or 2...

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
KZ1000

How long ago was this when someone actually copied a whiteT and not a blackT ?

Thanks

Why aren't we all over the blackT reproduction on this thread ? $795.00 (another child needs college). No date, shows a photo of the back, just because he mentions it's new does nothing for the next guy. Oh that's right he's a member here !!! I feel the boot present. : )

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[quote=blacktee]KZ1000

How long ago was this when someone actually copied a whiteT and not a blackT ?

quote]

I do not not recall white/black T, it was several years ago. My comment was meant to be another jab at how repros have ruined this hobby. This post is a Great example.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Really makes me glad I stopped collecting. Here's your exact same sign. Only this time the seller forgets to mention touch ups in the field? Maybe I'm just full of myself ? : )

Signofthepast.com

http://www.signofthepast.com/offer/details/Texaco_Marine_Lubricants-22

Aummans Auctions Runyan Auction 4/30/05-5/1/05 Lot 33 sold for $1500.00 Description states several touch ups in the field.

http://www.aumannauctions.org/cgi-bin/mnarcsearch.cgi

http://www.aumannauctions.org/cgi-bin/mnarcview.cgi?aumann/20050430

Cheers

Lets try this again ?

http://www.aumannauctions.org/cgi-bin/mnarclist.cgi?aumann/20050430/category/ALL Lot 33

Last edited by blacktee; Sun Jan 02 2011 07:12 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
blacktee------thanks for the heads up on the texaco sign...i bid on it & i now see the truth.....this seller has a problem...

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Totally agree KZ , keep jabbin. Good to hear from you again Blacktee. Your expertise on texaco is something I value because I'm not sure about these signs either. Maybe if we keep this thread going we can all learn something. these signs have been a problem for some time now. keep it civil ;;;;;;;;;;;Ron

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Darryl

I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm showing you that this sign was sold 5 years ago. That Aumann's stated that it had touch ups in the field? Kinda hard to think they'd put that in there if they weren't ???

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved