Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#221878 Tue Dec 28 2010 06:58 PM
H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
What's opinion on this sign on ebay...330512281558? It looks like the reproduction copies of this sign from 10 years ago and the back looks like the south american signs

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That one is real, or at least from what I have been told, it is. You can read the name and the numbers on the boats on this one and on the repros, you can't. The other one listed is repro as is stated. This is my opinion....Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In my opinion they are both reproductions....mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'd run, I remember when these first showed up, exact copy right down to the date. A graphic artist was trying to sell one at Hershey and got caught. The originals will be tainted forever because of those. So much for dating repros!

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks good to me, however, before I shelled out that kind of money, I'd want to hold it in my hands. Also, were not the earliest repos dated 1947 where this one is 1957?

B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
I had my doubts back in November... Never seen or owned one dated 1957, 1959. I'm not saying real or repo either way, but I do find it very odd to have a dozen cans downstairs (Green with the outboard motor on them) dated 1957, 59, and 61. I have owned three racks with the motor on them, either dated 1959 or 61 on the back fold of the metal. I find it hard to believe that Texaco was using the boats/seagulls as late as 1957 or 59 for that matter ? But you never know. The best way I have found to date in from bouchures (SP) or newspaper ads, they do not lie

The lastest I can find on the Boats/Seagull cans is 1954 & 1955 out of some 30 odd cans. Personally I have seen this original sign dated as late as 1956. I've also seen double sided dated 1947 as Gary stated.

Matthewsauctions.com Past Auctions Estate Auction of Joe Srholez 11/6/10 in Raymond Il. I see what appears to be two different signs, one in the photo gallery the other Lot 69 which is dated 1959 and sold for $5750.00

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=32164

I would go with Gary on this also and like to hold one of these signs personally in my hands and look at the grommets and porcelain on the backside. One other note with all my ramblings this morning. I've seen these (originals) not dated, dated in the lower right hand corner and dated in the very beginning of the white field on the left hand side.

Doug

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Back looks odd, looks like a very new piece of bare metal. Most original porcelain signs I've seen had white/black porcelain backs. And it doesn't look like it has much shelving. I'm not an expert, but I'd say fake. You used to be able to tell the repops easily, as not all the detail was there (Suzanne for example), but now you have exact copys floating around frown.

Last edited by chrisbowers; Wed Dec 29 2010 10:54 AM.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
This is why I buy rusty aged signs. I am no expert, but I like to think I have an "eye" I think they look repo. Good Repos. Why would someone pay $800 for the repo in the link above???

Last edited by D Phillips; Wed Dec 29 2010 01:18 PM.
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Well be careful, there are plenty of rusty aged signs that are as fake as a $4 bill. Pretty much anything on eBay coming from Argentina is going to be a rusty fake that looks pretty good to the casual observer. Actually, they've repopped a few signs I wouldn't mind having a repop of for my own use, for a repop price of course! The ones with the really rusty bare metal backs are usually a tipoff, that's what concerns me about this Marine sign that has a nice clean metal back that looks like a piece of sheetmetal I just got from my local welding supply shop.

H
hotcidr Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
H
does anyone have an original one of these that is willing to take a look at the back for me and let me know your thoughts? thanks for all the comments
Ray

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the Texaco Marine Lubricants sign that was in Matthews auction dated '59. Texaco signage from '59 forward had a R with a circle around it for the trade mark. This one has the Reg TM..IMO for that reason this sign isn't authentic

texmarlubsign.jpg

RANDY
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
Advertologist:

I understand where you are coming from because in 1959 The Texas Company became TEXACO INC. For the newbies out there though, 1959 Sky Chief pump plates had neither trade mark, at least I've never seen one that had one. I have though Fire Chief plates dated up to 1960 with REG.T.M. I think those were mistakes as the manufacture wasn't aware of the change ???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Signofthepast has this one up for auction. Ends tommorrow. http://www.signofthepast.com/offer/details/Texaco_Marine_Lubricants-22

Dennis Leith / Always looking for unusual Gilmore Oil Company items and Automobilia Displays
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
After looking back at the sign in question, I noticed that the white border around the green T doesn't look right. I hadn't noticed that when I posted before. I only looked for the name and numbers like I was told years ago to look for. I had one of the repros about 8-10 years ago and you certainly couldn't read the name or numbers on it. Wasn't aware that repros were being made that you could.

I've always wanted a real one, but now I'm afraid to buy one without holding it, also. I think this one does look suspicious.

The one that Dennis posted the link for, looks as though there is no manufacturing date on it. Could be my eyesight. LOL. It's not what it used to be...Dale

Wanted: Champion Spark plug, Shell, Pennzoil, Kendall, and Woco Pep signs...Dale Stephens
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved