Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#222222 Thu Dec 30 2010 02:00 PM
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
New Web site: Bob's Gas Pumps out of Ontario Canada. Check it out!

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #222729 Sat Jan 01 2011 02:05 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
He seemed like a nice guy. I sold him 7 gas pumps at Iowa Gas on the last day of the show as I was loading up.

racecop #222748 Sat Jan 01 2011 03:02 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looking good so far smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
It would have been nice if Bob had asked for my permission to use fiftheen pages (Gas Pump Company Histroies) including pictures from my Gas Pump Identification or from my website. This is copyrighted material that I wrote personally.

The publisher, Krause Publications" put this on the second page of the book:

All rights reserved. "No portion of this publication may be reprodued or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, or any information storage and retreival system, without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passasges in a critical article or review to be printed in a magazine or newspaper, or electronically transmitted on radio, television, or the Internet."

I would like to see it removed from the website.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Sun Jan 02 2011 12:17 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jack,
He isn't using your "stuff"... he is linking to your website. He has many pages that link to peoples websites to help share information.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Jarvis #222955 Sun Jan 02 2011 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
It would have been nice if Bob had asked for my permission to use fiftheen pages (Gas Pump Company Histroies) including pictures from my Gas Pump Identification or from my website. This is copyrighted material that I wrote personally.

The publisher, Krause Publications" put this on the second page of the book:

All rights reserved. "No portion of this publication may be reprodued or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopy, recording, or any information storage and retreival system, without permission in writing from the publisher, except by a reviewer who may quote brief passasges in a critical article or review to be printed in a magazine or newspaper, or electronically transmitted on radio, television, or the Internet."

I would like to see it removed from the website.

Jack Sim

Jack,
I haven't checked out everything on his site yet, but so far I didn't see anything copied from your site. I did see a link to your site which I would think would be beneficial to your business. Maybe I'm missing something?
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Jack,
It is a common practice for a Web site to link to another site. Usually permission is not needed.

Bob's Gas Pumps is actually sending people who are interested in gas pumps over to your site. Most businesses like free referrals of pre-qualified potential customers.

If it still bothers you, by all means ask Bob by email to remove the link and stop sending folks to your site.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #223593 Wed Jan 05 2011 07:34 AM
I'm probably opening a huge can of worms but I have a question regarding Mr. Sim's trademark claims.
First off I would like to thank Mr. Sim for putting in obviously years worth of work collecting all of the gas pump manuals, literature and manufacturers books needed to comprise his book. It's the best resource out there for us collectors and I personally use it as a toy catalog every time I place an order with my gas pump restorer as to what I want him to find me next. So Thank You...
My question is that I have seen several of your post where your quite upset about someone infringing upon your work...however your book is 360 pages in size. The first 40 pages is a chronological list of manufacturers which you created (your work), and a glossary (your work) the other 320 pages is you reproducing the photos and specifications taken out of manufacturers literature (other peoples work - all trademarked and copy writed). From what many of us collectors can tell all of the artwork other than photos which you took were created by gas pump manufacturers (trademark work) however there is no acknowledgment or footnotes to this in your book. I apologize for not understanding how trademarks work. Again...I think your contribution to our hobby is enormous and I personally thank you for it...I'm just not sure how you can trademark another companies creation and work? Again...not trying to cause any issues...just curious? Did there trademarks run out?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...all I saw was a link to Jack's page, not sure if there was something else lifted/scanned from Jack's book, but I didn't see it...if all Bob did was link to Jack's website, Jack should be fine with that, as it could lead to sales for his books and literature...

...however, I do understand Jack's frustration, in that he spent a LOT of time researching and cross-checking information, scanning old images, retouching them...it's a lot of work, and the thing about the web is, information that someone spends a lot of time compiling can be disseminated on the web at little or no expense...Jack expected to be paid for his research and labor and there's not a damn thing wrong with that...he should be...

...whether or not an illustrated parts list printed in 1937 by a pump company solely for the purposes of selling parts for their gas pumps was copyrighted - which I doubt, as there would be no reason to do that in 1937 - isn't the point...

...think of it this way: if you produced a documentary on, say Shell Oil's early marketing, and were selling DVDs - and someone uploaded it to Youtube - you'd be pretty bent about it...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with Oiljobber on this ............. Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Oldgas #223949 Thu Jan 06 2011 09:06 PM
M
M
Hi, my name is Martyn Mitchell and I am the webmaster for Bob's Gas Pumps. Thanks very much for the intro Jim.

I thought I should write to address the issue that has come up as I am responsible for the content of Bob's new web site.

Bob has been literally swamped lately with a flooded basement, a couple of funerals and the grand opening of his new shop and showroom. I don't think he has even seen my latest site upload yet. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and I'm not sure if any of you know Alan Bray who is an avid collector but sadly his wife Marj passed away December 11. Bob and Alan are close friends.

Returning to the issue at hand, although I think it would be a shame to remove the link to Jacks site I will happily do so if that's what Jack wants. Jack if you're reading this, by all means send us an email if you still want it removed.

I think Jack has a wonderfully informative site and it is quite obviously a labor of love which is why I linked to it in the first place. Perhaps we can help you sell some books if we can retain the link.

I'm still working on finishing up the web site. Hopefully it won't be too long. Looking forward to contributing to the memorabilia community.

Cheers
Martyn

Martyn #223958 Thu Jan 06 2011 10:18 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm sure Jack is not upset w/ the link to his web site, it's the Company history & images from the book that was posted w/o his permission or the publishers.

eshaver #223971 Fri Jan 07 2011 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: eshaver
I'm with Oiljobber on this ............. Ed Shaver

same here,
If somebody would just stop complaining when somebody else mentions the word Gas Pump the world would be a better place.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Oldgas #224011 Fri Jan 07 2011 09:19 AM
M
M
Just to clarify, there is absolutely no content on the Bob's Gas Pumps website that was copied from Jack's website or for that matter anyone elses.
Our website contains external links only and these links deliberately open the subject websites in a new window to avoid the impression that the material is on our site.
This is common practice and kinda the whole point of the web. We are not interested in pirating other peoples work.
Cheers
Martyn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved