Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Matthews Auctions,LLC December 11, Raymond, Il. Matthews Auctions, LLC proxibid catalog

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! A lot of nice stuff on there! Thanks for posting!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Don't forget the auction this weekend. If you can't attend you can bid on proxibid, call and leave absentee bids or you can phone bid.
Thanks Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just signed up to bid online. 8 hrs. of windshield time and questionable weather are worth the 5%. Anyone going that could preview a couple of items for me?
Thank You, Greg

M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Auction tomorrow.

M
Mattgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
Auction today

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like prices are coming down on this stuff. at this auction. Globes real cheap !!!
Maybe just a bad time of year.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Prices are never consistant, a few weeks ago 6'-8', 1980-1990's Plastic sign faces were bringing $100.+ and $20. cans were bringing $85. at a local auction.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There were some globes that sold for bargain prices like the Power lenses for glass that were in a capco body that sold for $100+ BP. On the other hand there were some that sold for crazy high prices like the Gulf lenses that had heavy wear that were on a 12 1/2" body for $475+BP. All things considered the globe prices seemed about right. Most of those globes would be considered entry level globes. Prices on those have been soft for a couple of years. I still see guys asking top of the market prices, but the ones that have been selling are doing so at lower prices than they would have brought 4 or 5 years ago. Figure in the buyers premium and shipping if you weren't in attendance and there really weren't many surprises. I watched online hoping to buy a couple of signs but they went for more than I wanted to spend.

Cheap, barely collectible petro stuff often sells for high prices at local auctions around here. Those buyers aren't familiar with the shows and petro auctions.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Maybe just different parts of the country are affected differently, especially with the shipping prices now going nowhere but up. Tough to move bigger items at a reasonable price unless someone is going somewhere close.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That's never been reasonable in the last 5-6yrs either Craig. But if we call it a Vacation, it don't Hurt as much.

From what I can tell having purchased at a lot of major auctions in the past six months..I really don't see prices down...what I do see is prices vary per auction depending upon who the auction company is, cliental, and where it's being held. For instance Matthews Peotone and Iowa Gas auctions were strong from what I could tell (held at shows with lots of collectors present) Unfortunatley his Escondido Auction was very weak and his last auction was also on the low side. However, in between was Peotone and the results looked good. A gentleman I buy cars from bought most of the signs out of the Escondido auction and has already sold a large portion of them for almost triple what he paid. So obviously, the values haven't declined, it just wasn't a strong auction. Unfortunately, Southern California is currently not a great location for holding an auction. I attended Barrett-Jackson's Auction there this summer and I thought the Automobilia also seemed soft. However their Las Vegas auction pretty much summed up the state of the industry. Thursday was a great day to buy, prices seemed low, for none of the money was present, small crowd..no VIP's..however Friday and Saturday was a total barn burner (in my opinion) for they had a large crowd and lot's of VIP's. If you look at Thursday's results you'd think the sky was falling on the hobby, if you looked at Friday's and Saturday's it looks like pre-recession. It all comes down to whose present to buy. If anything the market is probably too saturated with auctions now and only the strongest auctions with large buyers present will achieve strong results.
Just my two cents...here's a link to Barrett-Jackson's Las Vegas results so you can see the daily differnece in prices at just one auction.
http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicati...p;ed=09/25/2010

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Was anybody from here at this auction in person? Let me know please, thanks!

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I was the winning bidder on a lot of nozzles from this auction that contained a Rapidayton nozzle. There were 2 different lots of nozzles that each had 4 nozzles in them. I was sent the wrong lot and my lot went to the winning bidder of the other lot. By the time the auction house got a hold of the other bidder, 2 had been sold and 1 given away. Of course the one he still had in his possession wasn't the Rapidayton. The auction house was more then happy to refund my money, but I would much rather have what I purchased. Does anybody here know the trail of these nozzles? Thanks!

Last edited by Daveb; Thu Jan 06 2011 04:54 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice of Dan to make it right with you!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
It sucks when you don't get what you pay for......now the hunt goes on ...does anyone have a rapidayton nozzle they can hook him up with......

Cities service, Vickers, Gas and Auto neons, next exit/ ahead signs and now I'm getting into globes....

AKA PARIS HILTON!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Pegasus, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Project Car auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved