Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Well I have been offered a huge 6 ft round Richfield sign. I actually went to look at it the other day and it seemed odd. The paint had a faded look to it but it's defenetly an old porcelain round sign just like the common Gulf or Texaco 6 foot round ones out there. What seemed odd is that there were what felt like raised edges where the paint seams were which led me to think it might have been a repainted sign from something else? I didnt get to take a pic...sorry. It is double sided however with no lusterof a finish very flat faded looking. If it was painted then they did a damn great job. I just need ot know if Richfield ever had a 6 ft round sign and can someone link me a pic..thank you a bunch.

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
the few Richfields I have ever found were always faded, never did find a nice one. Pictures are a must.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
MINE 6IX FOOTER WAS FADED TOO....PAID A $100 FOR IT AND REPAINTED ONE SIDE SO IT LOOKED PRESENTABLE ON MY FENCE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
I know I forgot my phone when I took a look at it. From the quick research I have dont I havent seen a 6 ft round one...although if you say the porcelain ones fade then this make more sense. I've seen some pretty ratty Gulf and Texaco signs and the parst that werent rusted or missing still seemed to have that porcelain shine. I didnt think porcelain faded this bad. No way to bring it back huh??

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
well american there it is...they do exist...you have the one I looked at.. but yep..its faded far worse than that.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ERIC, YOU SHOULD SEE THE OTHER SIDE! IT'S FADED QUTE BAD. YOU'RE SEEING THE PAINTED SIDE.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Probably looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Same price too...lol. What kind of paint did you use and how did you paint it?

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Doc,thats a pretty strong fence you've got there. Looks great though.

Norm Huff
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: eric grinder
Probably looks exactly like the one I'm getting. Same price too...lol. What kind of paint did you use and how did you paint it?

I just had a porcelain Coca Cola tabletop clear coated at my friend's body shop. The painter scuffed it lightly, then degreased it. After that, he shot several coats of Glasurit urethane automotive clear. He sanded each coat of clear after it dried. Some of the clear coats didn't turn out as planned as there was a minor reaction. He just kept sanding and painting until it was glossy. Once the final coat dried, he wetsanded and polished it. I think there are 4-5 coats of clear on that tabletop. He also filled in and painted some of the minor chips in the porcelain. It turned out better than I expected. I'll post pictures of it in a separate post.

This procedure should work on your sign as well.

Last edited by badgas; Mon Aug 02 2010 10:01 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ERIC, I JUST USED TRUE VALUE HARDWARE'S "X-O RUST" BRAND OF OIL BASED PAINT. IT'S BEEN ON THE FENCE FOR ABOUT TWO YEARS. HOWEVER, SINCE IT'S PAINT OVER PORCELAIN, IT'LL BE THE FIRST SIGN THAT GETS MOLD ON IT AND I HAVE TO WIPE IT DOWN 2X A YEAR WITH A WATER AND BLEACH MIX....I MEAN IT IS IN THE SHADE LOL!

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks good there Doc smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
K
K
If you're getting it for $100 you can't go wrong!

A
A
i have 2 6foot richfield signs which are double sided also so they exsist but i have yet to see any pics on the web ,i have only seen the one in here on the fence and only other one that i saw was in a picture at a collecters show.dont know the rarety of these but i was offered 1100.00 for the pair.

A
A
my pics are to big to post on here but you can always email me if you want to see them.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: als350demo
my pics are to big to post on here but you can always email me if you want to see them.

IF YOU USE IMAGE SHACK OR PHOTOBUCKET, THEY HAVE AN OPTION WHERE THEY WILL RESIZE (SCALE DOWN) YOUR LARGE PHOTO FILES WHEN YOU CHECK THE BOX BEFORE YOU UPLOAD INTO THEIR SYSTEM FOR POSTING HERE LATER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved