Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Are there more current books then others and are there ones specifically for petroleum signage?

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
The most current petroliana sign price guide is "Antique Advertising - Gas, Oil and Automotive Signs" by Richard Amistadi. It is from 2005, so the prices are not 2010, but proportion of the price differences between the really great hard-to-find stuff and the more common stuff are still valid. The many color photos of awesome signs are very enjoyable.

Not many books have been published in the last few years because of the economy. Hope that will change.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the tip. It will be the way for me to learn and spend my last dollar. looks like aneat book.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That book has mainly high end signs with high end prices. I usually go off the low end of the prices in that book. I wish it had more of the common signs in it.

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Ebay and Live auctions are the best value guides... IMO, they show what stuff is "Currently" selling for? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by gmstuff; Sat Jul 17 2010 10:15 AM.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ebay is tough to judge alot of times because you never know who is even on on when a good item comes up and then it seems like the prices are always down on Ebay for above average stuff. You never know. Thanks guys.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's a gut feeling on what something is worth to you today. Next guy it might be lower or higher. If it's for your collection or to resell & hope to make a buck.
Very few if any Quality signs have ever gone down in real value. Auction prices are not consistent enough & same item is hardly ever the same condition. We see this all the time on ebay [seller will state that same item just sold for $xxxx, but doesn't state IN BETTER condition].

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Watched a Sinclair 23" mellowed for one hundred million years sign go for 1400 at a 8.5 condition then a sign guy said it is easily 3000+. Who knows and obviously you need to find that guy who has money and really wants the sign.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
2 guys w/ 2 opinions on value. At BJ auctions it's all about winning.
jm2c

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have several price guides going back to some that are out of print.The one I use the most is OIL COMPANY SIGNS,A COLLECTORS GUIDE,that Scott and Wayne did years ago.

About the only time I look at it is when I'm looking up something that doesn't show up at auctions or on ebay often enough to give a somewhat (???) reliable range of values.

I think when you move into the "few known to exist,seldom offered for sale"stuff you are pretty much on your own.IMO it's worth what someone will pay for it or what it's worth to you to keep in your own collection.The concept of a willing buyer and a willing seller.Just my thoughts.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
It's a gut feeling on what something is worth to you today. Next guy it might be lower or higher. If it's for your collection or to resell & hope to make a buck.
Very few if any Quality signs have ever gone down in real value. Auction prices are not consistent enough & same item is hardly ever the same condition. We see this all the time on ebay [seller will state that same item just sold for $xxxx, but doesn't state IN BETTER condition].

I agree 100% smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved