Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#184788 Mon Apr 26 2010 02:50 PM
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
WILL 46 YEAR OLD WATER TRANS ,DECALS STILL APPLY,OR,IS THERE SOMETHING TO KNOW ABOUT OLDER TRANSFER DECALS ,WHEN APPLYING,I THINK IM GONNA TRY TO PURCHASE THIS SET OF NOS TEXACO WATER TRANSFER DECALS DATED ON BACK 1964,IT SAYS: "QUOTE"Has all application directions on backside and says DS-L-2740 Trade Mark Rev, Code S-25B, Durochrome, Decalcomania Co, Inc... S-PS Type B.. on one side it has the numbers 6990 and then 11-64 which gives me indication that these were originated in November of 1964.. then the numbers 39825... On the right side they say Durochrome Decalcomania Co Inc, New York, Los Angeles and all principle cities, Made in USA...
HAS ANYONE USED THESE OLDER DECALS,ON THERE PUMP?IM WANTING TO USE ON MY SOUTHWEST PUMP,I'M GONNA SAND AND CLEAR COAT AND USE SOME FAKE PATINA *****,AND GO FOR THAT LOOK,SO I THOUGHT THESE DECALS WOULD WORK PERFECT! THANKS FOR INFO!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Old water transfer decals have a tendency to crack.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris one never knows if an older decal will stick or not until tried. Seems that I am talking in riddles but, I'm not. I have had some older water transfer decals stick and others that fell apart in the water. Same ofcourse with vinyl decals.

On this Calso decal, one can notice that the outside border had started to crumble and fall apart.

These decals on my old lap top stayed nice and crisp.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
DIESEL Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
CRACKING, I WOULD BE ALRIGHT WITH,IT WOULD KIND OF ADD TO THE WHOLE AGED LOOK,! ANYHOW,IT SOUNDS LIKE I'M GONNA BE ROLLING DICE ON THIS ONE!LOL THANKS!

BOB, THE CALSO DECAL, THE OFF WHITE, LOOK IS WHAT IM HOPING TO REALLY ACHIEVE OUT OF THIS,I DID NOT WANT THE BRIGHT WHITE,ANYWAYS WE SHALL SEE!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, what Bob said is the truth. You just never know what's gonna happen with the old ones. I've never completely lost one though, and if you're gonna do an "old patina" type finish, I think it will come out better than you might imagine. If for some reason, it's not sticking, or pieces are getting dislodged, try some clear varnish over the top to hold it all together. I've actually applied the varnish to the pump, set the decal into the varnish, and then more over the top. Photo the process, and share it with us.
Don

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Should be OK!!! Jim

West Coast signs, globes and quarts

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings