Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#184375 Fri Apr 23 2010 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It's me and my "strange collection", according to Thunder, again. I picked up a Kunz Oil Co. gas stick that advertises Navy, Crystal White and Special gasoline. Does anyone have an info on these brands/grades of gas? I have a Kunz blotter that advertises their "Gold Metal" oil. I seem to remember something about "Navy" gasoline, but I can't bring it back up in my memory, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
No one????

Then how about a book or website that you've run across that has info on the oil companies and their products that might give me a "running start"?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards
It's me and my "strange collection", according to Thunder, again.

I like the way that Bob drags me into these things....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Jeff, I'm always looking to help you out. whistle laugh

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Bob,

I sent a pic of an old station in to PCM with a pump with a Navy globe on it. Scott ran it under the new discoveries section.The globe had a star on it.

I have the original of that pic.If you like,I'll look at it tomorrow and see if I can provide more info.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I seen a can with Navy oil on it on Ebay a while back and it said Pueblo, CO and Cheyenne, WY and I'm guessing It was out of the 20's. The problem with that is it doesn't hardly make a connection with Minneapolis. Come on you experts give us a answer because I'm curious to with the Cheyenne connection. Mitch

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Several years ago, I bought a Wayne 60 out by Bakersfield, Ca. It had a "Navy" decal on it. Later the pump was used for the cover of "National Geography" and I had to slightly change the color. I didn't want to loose the decal, so I covered the decal with an magnetic Ethyl plate.
I don't know anything about the company, but there is quite a bit of info on the decal. I took this photo about 10 minutes ago. Hope it helps.
Don

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for posting a photo of the decal, Don. I don't blame you for want to preserve it.

I have only been receiving PCM since Oct. '09. I looked through my copies, but didn't see the globe. So I imagine in was in an earlier edition?

Looking at the phone number, I imagine the decal is from the 50's. (before that the phone numbers used exchange letters, instead of numbers in their advertising)

So can anyone help bridge the gap between the 1920's (my gas stick, late 20's, early 30's), the can Mitch saw and Old Iron's globe photo; and Don's decal?

This is a "mini-version" of the old "Company of the month". I miss reading those threads and learning some of the history of certain American Oil Companies.

Thanks to all who have contributed and/or have been doing research themselves.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think that they were a part of the "Weasel Oil Company" based here in Colorado.....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ROTFLMAO ! Makes sense to me!!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
These are out of Aumann Auctions archives. A pump plate, a one gallon and a 1/2 gallon. Mitch

077.jpg 097.jpg 105.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Bob, the PCM isssue is Nov 08 so you wouldn't have it.

I didn't explain enough about the station or the globe in my original post.The station was here in ABQ and the pic was taken about 1927.According to PCM they were selling Star Oil Company includeing "High Test Navy"gasoline advertised on the globe.So,it's not a Navy globe but one that is advertising what appears to be a grade of gasoline.Sorry for any confusion.I should have have explained it in the first place instead of just reacting to the word "navy".

Interesting thoughts."navy"gasoline showing up all over the country.Grade?different grades?Idon't know.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There definitely isn't a connection between Kunz Oil and the three brands of gasoline they advertise, and Navy Oil outside of Minnesota. I have the same gas stick myself, and haven't seen anything else by Kunz advertising these brands of gasoline, but Kunz was around for years, up til about 15 years ago, and wasn't connected to any entity outside of MN. I think they sold gasoline in the teens, and maybe 20's, but stopped after that. Hope this helps a little bit.

Alan
Collecting MN and Minneapolis gas and oil related items

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved