Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JUST DON'T GIVE UP! YA KNOW WHAT JOE, I HAD THIS FAMILY SO ***** AT ME, THEY HAD A 1964 CHEVY NOVA THAT WAS UNDER A CAR COVER FOR YEARS! "I DON'T SEE WHY" IT WAS ROUGH, VERY ROUGH!BUT I LIKE ROUGH RIGHT! SO I HAD BEEN THREATENED MANY OF TIMES BY THE WIFE MAINLY,ABOUT ASKING TO BUY THE NOVA,SHE WOULD SAY "THAT'S WHY THE DAMN THING IS COVERED UP CUZ EVERYONE WANTS TO BUY IT!SHE WOULD ALSO ADD "AND WE AINT GOT NO TITLE"LOL IT WAS LIKE WATER ROLLING OFF A DUCK! I NEVER LOSE SLEEP! LOL ANYWAYS THIS WENT ON FOR QUITE SOME TIME ! BEAUTIFUL DAY IN JULY, I'LL NEVER FORGET! I GLANCE OVER AND THE CAR COVER IS OFF OF THE NOVA AND THE HUSBAND WAS OUT SIDE RAKING THE YARD,THAT LOOKED LIKE DIRT!LOL SO I PULL IN AND ASK ABOUT THE NOVA ANTICIPATING THE "BACKWOODS DELIVERANCE TALK"THAT I USUALLY GOT! AND THE GUY SPOKE UP BEFORE I COULD GET A WORD OUT,AND SAYS $300. AND YOU CAN TAKE IT AWAY! WE AGREE,AND HE SAYS LET ME GO INSIDE,EXCUSE ME ,I'LL GO GET THE TITLE!!!!!! IM DOING KART WHEELS IN MY HEAD! THE BOTTOM LINE JOE, I WOULD HAVE BET MONEY THAT THESES FOLKS WOULD HAVE BEEN A LITTLE TO PROUD OF THERE NOVA FINANCIALLY ,AND REALLY ATTACHED TO IT ,BY SOME OF THE REMARKS I GOT OVER THE YEARS! MY PERSISTENCE PAID OFF DEARLY! MY POINT DONT GIVE UP! I PROMISE YOU, 1 OF THOSE PUMPS WILL BE IN YOUR GARAGE ONE DAY!

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Besides I've heard that rock salt shot out of a 12 ga dbl barreled shotgun at close range doesn't hurt that much............................... after 5-10 years.

Should be able to sit without one of those cushions after that amount of time, lol.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
G
G
I went thru the same thing with 50 premo pumps in a yard. Guy asked me to make him an offer, and then he said I insulted him. So, stopped by with a box of donuts, and the lady not very politely told me to take them outa here, we dont eat that **it. Ok patience. Finally I called the guy and asked if he would sell me the extra parts that were on the pile. He then told me, why would I sell you the parts if I don't sell you the pumps. At that time I was tempted to tell him to stick 50 pumps where the sun don't shine, but didn't figure it would buy me anything/ 2 weeks later he calls me and asks if I want to buy everything, for a good price. agreed- 55 pumps, took a 28 foot u haul and 3 pickups to get it home. Moral is- patience, if it was meant to be...
In this case, go see the guy, if you can, shoot the **it about something not related to the pumps...then when yer in good with em, say, I was noticing you have some old pumps out there...they for sale??? Or like one of the guys said hand him some green to talk with ya. In my case, the guy had sold his property and the pumps were considered hazardous waster and they had to go before the sale went thro...maybe he's got a room full of eco air meters in the back room...

good luck

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I ran into a old man that seemed like one of the most foul mouthed unhappy people I had ever met. I stopped by a few times talking about his special breed of apple trees and the new drug he was taking that was actualy making him younger. He talked about how the electrons were shooting from side to side in his head making him younger while also treating his wife like the rug I was standing on. I actualy grew to like him and realized it was he and his wifes special relationship and the 850 Tokhiem sitting 5 feet from their drinking water may have had something to do with the mental state. I helped him by removing the 850 from next to his well and he took the 2 ton electric chain hoist I traded him and threw it with all the rest of his junk sitting out in the weather. Joe, your a fab shop would it help to ask him a question about how to weld something up maybe related to the business he was in. Just guessing, If you could break through the shell there is probably some very interesting things you could learn about the gas business, posibly about the rest of the pumps sitting out at his house?

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I agree with everything stated here. Patience is the best method smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I don't think there is a fits all answer to the problem, but here is what happened to me and it worked out well.
I was driving down a street in Bloomington Ill. and on a corner of a parking lot by an independant garage owner, stood a Phillips 66, 20 ft. boulevard sign, complete with lights, in great shape. I turned around and my bride says where are you going? I'm gonna buy that sign.
The owner and two of his buddies were sitting in the office drinking coffee. so I popped the question "are you interested in selling that Phillips sign"? he sat the cup down, and said yes I will SELL it. what I will NOT do is take it down, load it onto a trailer, and deliver it to you, and stand it back up, ,which is what every other person that wants it would like me to do, and give it to them for free.
If you want it its $250.00 and you do all the work.I keep a couple of $100.00 bills just in case this happens. I gave him one he said "its yours" pay me the rest when you get it. When I went to take it down, he threw in 2 Phillips lubsters, and a Quaker State thermometer for free. We have since become friends and he stops to check out his sign which is up and lit at night.
Sometimes you just never know! Norm.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here's my experience with trying to buy pumps signs oil cans or what ever else I'm chasing that day. I find out who owns it and try to explain to them what I'm doing and carry a portfolio of pictures or my digital camera and show them my collection or part of it. Just like matthegasmas said and educate them on preserving part of the history. And I'v have pretty good luck with that and give them a business card with a brief discription & my name & phone # . And never low ball them, and I'm always invited back. in case something else turn up.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Baby steps......Stopped by in my company truck in a hurry and said:
Quote:
Hey I don't have much time here and I know your very busy as well but I just wanted to see if you knew of anyone else in the area that might have a pump or two for sale? I don't mind dropping some cash on a pump, Just hate to drive 400 miles to get one if I have something available in my own backyard
Quote:
No, Just me.

Then while looking at the logo on the side of my door he says
Quote:
What is it that you do?
Quote:
I design and manufacture parts for vintage cars and trucks that are distributed all over the world. Pump restoration is just a hobby I enjoy
Quote:
I'll be damned....My pumps start at $550.

Holy pump guts did he just say he would sell me a pump?
Quote:
So you do have some pumps you would like to sell?
Quote:
yes from time to time but right now I just don't have the time

Quote:
No problem I totally understand. Is it ok if I check back with you in a few weeks?
Quote:
That would be fine.

I will have one of those pumps even if I have to pay too much for it!! grin

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That was a much better approach, after reading your first post about asking for parts first, He probably thought you were one of the hundreds who have stopped and wanted a pump for $50. Good Luck and see if he will let you take a picture next time

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good for you Joe.Driving your company truck was the best thing you did,IMO.I have found that whenever I wear my company hat,people who recognize it realize that it's just a hobby for me and I'm not out to "make a buck".Things usually go well from there on.

I think you will do well.Best of luck.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Joe,
He is just tired of every other "picker" wanting a bargains bothering him, handing him a 20$ just to ask a few question wouldn't hurt, or find someone that knows him. tt

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved