Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#181934 Fri Apr 02 2010 08:04 AM
K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Could someone please help me out? I need a diagram/photo of the "To Car'/"To Storage" linkage for my pump. The main ting is I'd like for the sign indicator to work put would like it to be as original as possible. Am I correct that the sign linkage and the value are tied together?
Does the valve wrench handle protrude through the slit in the skin to the outside of the pump?

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To Storage: Arrow is in down position, handle is to right [in slot] & door is closed [valve is in open position to drain cylinder].
To Car: Arrow is in up position, open door, handle is in opening of door, valve is in closed position.
Arrow is attached to a rod that drops down to keep valve from opening/closing.

K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks much, Dick very helpful! Since I don't have the linkage and have to make it, Could anyone please provide a photo, diagram or website of the same for the linkage? TIA!

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I think DB posted this diagram several weeks ago.
It appears that the pump operator would have to reach in and manually raise the bar so it sits on the gate valve handle. When moving the arrow to the "to car" position the bar would fall off the handle.
Is this correct?

gb176.jpg
Last edited by r49th; Fri Apr 02 2010 04:32 PM.

ROD [Mich.]
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
On your 176, is the "slit" at the top or bottom of the access door?

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Bottom

id tags.jpg

ROD [Mich.]
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
If someone else doesn't get to it first, I'll post some pics tomorrow of what everything looks like. I've got one torn down myself and should be able to get you some pretty good pics.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: r49th
Bottom

Is KenB's also at the bottom? They did make them both ways.

K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Yes, my slit is at the bottom. Thanks for porting the diagram. And yes, a photo would be MUCH appreciated!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've seen more Slit's near the bottom & but have had a few on top.

D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: KenB
Could someone please help me out? I need a diagram/photo of the "To Car'/"To Storage" linkage for my pump. The main ting is I'd like for the sign indicator to work put would like it to be as original as possible. Am I correct that the sign linkage and the value are tied together?
Does the valve wrench handle protrude through the slit in the skin to the outside of the pump?

The valve and the arrow are not physically linked. The arrow is linked to a rod that blocks or allows the valves' movement depending on where the arrow is.

P1020382.JPG P1020385.JPG
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
A couple of more parts pics and one of a 176 with the handle towards the top.

P1020383.JPG P1020384.JPG P1020386.JPG
D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
By the way, the 176 that has the valve handle at the top uses a completely different mechanism to block the valves' movement but is still not attached to the valve itself.

Ask me how I learned to NEVER take 2 seemingly identical pumps apart at the same time!

K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks to everyone! I was able to make a valve wrench today and get it fitted trough the slot below the door. One last question, "How is the vertical rod pushed up?" Are you suppose to reach in with your fingers and push up on the bottom of the rod or is there suppose to be a handle attached to the rod somehow?
The pump is done and this is the only thing preventing me from putting it together. I'm looking forward to putting it outside my shop soon!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
By moving the arrow [arrow should have a peg on door side, if not, just push on tip of arrow] up/down, the rod moves.

Thanks also for the pics guys, now another question, on the valve handle ( my slit is on the bottom) it connects to the drain back valve correct? I couldn't tell from the pics on how the valve handle or where it ties into the drain back valve.
I got the back bracket assembly from Paul Hittle but have yet had any success on locating the valve handle.
Thanks
Troy

Last edited by zooman; Sun Apr 04 2010 05:55 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Basically just a flat bar w/ a sq or rnd hole to attach to valve stem. Hopefully someone that has one apart will trace & send to you.
db

D
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: zooman
Thanks also for the pics guys, now another question, on the valve handle ( my slit is on the bottom) it connects to the drain back valve correct? I couldn't tell from the pics on how the valve handle or where it ties into the drain back valve.
I got the back bracket assembly from Paul Hittle but have yet had any success on locating the valve handle.
Thanks
Troy

Do you have the valve itself? I can probably take my mechanism apart as Dick suggested and trace out the pieces of the handle for you. Dave

K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Excellent! I do appreciate all the help!! Put the 'ol girl together this afternoon and it works great! Have a bit of touch up paint and need a globe and a hose/nozel and she's ready for display. I've waited 40 years to be able to do this!!

K
KenB Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I had no pattern for a handle but was able to make one from an old broken wrench and the female end of a 3/8th socket extension.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just like a farmer or station owner would have done to make it work ! LOL

Dave, let me take a pic of the valve to make sure it's the right type. I was debating whether or not mine even has the correct valve. I'm on day shift through Thursday and after that I'll post a pic,
thanks guys,
Hope everyone had a great Easter Sunday,
Troy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved