Oldgas.com Home  
Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
Vote in this poll to add your opinion if For Sale items should have a requirement to be priced when they are posted. Vote and you'll get to see the results. Voting open until March 31, 2010.

End result: "Every For Sale item must have a price" = 69% in favor

For Sale Prices
single choice
Every For Sale item must have a price (69%, 95 Votes)
OK for best offer or auction style pricing if it ends on a specific date/time (15%, 21 Votes)
No pricing requirements for non-auction items (15%, 21 Votes)
Total Votes: 137
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago
Last edited by Oldgas; Tue May 11 2010 07:18 PM. Reason: Add poll result for those not logged in

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah. I like know the price when I'm looking at something. That's so aggravating, there afraid to tell you the price because you might be shocked.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
basically don't know what is the best way, for sale or trade? how much is what your trading worth??? if you list a cash price maybe someone won't offer a trade?

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
I feel if it's in the For Sale forum,it's FOR SALE !
if you need a appraisal maybe put it in another forum.
When I set up at shows I don't ask people to price my items,if your new to the hobby or need help that is fine.I still need help at times but it should be in another forum format.
Maybe a Appraisal Forum?
jim

leonardoil
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I, at times do find it frustrating that items in the For Sale forum aren't priced. On the other hand, I like the small auctions that are here on Oldgas, looking back most if not all had a starting price. So I believe that meets "the letter of the law" for what I hope will be the new policy. Again, on another hand, I like to either post or look at items that are up for sell or trade. For the most part I would like to trade "extra" items I have for something new to add to my chaos,lol. Not sure how trading will/would work under this policy if it goes into effect? But I'm sure it could be worked out easily. Bottomline for me is "put a price on it" don't leave me guessing, I'm getting old and usually forget why I'........... what was I going on about????

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I may be missing the point with the words for sale or trade. If you are looking to trade something you want to know what some one will offer and your item may be more valuable to one person than another. If you are looking to flat sell something you should know the least you will take for item. There are times you may not know what to ask for an item because there are a broad range of unrealistic prices out there.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
As much as I agree that items should be priced, I dont think it should be mandated. There are times when I dont price things, because I feel only the serious people should know, and not the tire kickers. 99 percent of the time, I price the things I have for sale. I believe that items listed with a price have a better chance of selling.

I vote leave it as it is.

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Some sites take it a step further and prohibit responding in the for sale ads with comments like "nice pump", or "great item wish I could own it". They ask that you respond to the ad via email or PM to conserve space.

Member #163
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I always comment to pumps,globes or cans that are nice. In my eyes that is a little too far smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
The For Sale or Trade Guidelines already prohibit replies to a For Sale item that are critical or off-topic. Questions or compliments are welcome under the guidelines.

The moderators will have to consider all the issues including the "for trade" option when the voting is over. I feel we should accommodate those who wish to trade in some way.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I posted my comments on the other thread about this, but I gotta open my big mouth again. LOL. I think all items should be priced. If you're willing to trade, fine, but list the monetary amount you want to get for the item too. I also think auction style formats should be allowed. However, I think all bids should be visible to all bidders/potential bidders so that there isn't question as to whether or not the bids were legitimate. For me, price affects how interested I am in an item, therefore I want to know what the seller is looking to get before I contact them. Again, just my two cents!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF someone just wants trades only then they shouldnt have to price it. Also one thing that I like around here is for the most part the rules are pretty laxed. Jim and the other moderators do a good job in letting us work out most of our differences. I dont want to see us get bogged down with a bunch of rules that someone just has to keep up with. I think out of common courtesy you should list the price. In the long run it helps you and the buyer.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I don't think it should have to be priced, if I'm interested I will inquire about it, either I'll take it or I won't. I think it should stay the way it is.

P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
leave as is. its a great site please don;t bog it down with rules and more rules. I would think the moderators have enough to do . thanks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm with seperating the wanting to trade section from the wanting to sell section.Give them each their own forum.
They both have their place,just not together and especially now if you we go to a "please state price" policy,which I'm for.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So, lets just say, that you have a cardboard Penzoil can for sale. It SHOULD have a price. So you price it at $1.00, plus shipping. Simple. But somebody contacts you, and says "Hey. I'll "TRADE" you, a complete, Wayne 60 widebody. Is that fair?" I'd buy THAT for a dollar!!!!!

What I'm saying is, a price should be posted. If the buyer, is willing to "trade" you something, thats something that the two of you could/should negotiate. If its an "Auction" it should be listed as such, WITH an ending time & date.

I'll be good now...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I like it when all items are priced, if they are for sale. I think you should price everything, if it is for sale. If you are willing to trade, state that in your listing. Item is $XXX or willing to trade for "described item." If you are just here to trade and trade only, no price is needed. Curiosity in what they are looking for will force interaction if there is something posted that you want bad enough. Leave it as it is. If someone wants to trade a 60 for a paper can, I hope that I have the paper can. If both parties are happy, that's thier business.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
For Sale in for sale forum with price. For trade or auction only items in seperate forum. Putting too much in one forum makes for too many possibilities to accommodate. Just my thoughts on the matter!

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I SHOULD THINK IT WOULD BE COMMON PRACTICE HERE TO POST PRICES WITH ITEMS.
NOT ACCEPTABLE IF I HAVE TO CALL AND ASK, BECAUSE I WON'T! I'D RATHER JUST CLICK AWAY FROM AN AD W/O PRICES AND MOVE ON.

WOULDN'T YOU BE BAFFLED AND MAD IF YOU PASSED A VEHICLE ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD, MADE AN EFFORT TO GO BACK AND LOOK AT IT AND THERE WAS JUST A PHONE # AND NO PRICE? SAY IT WITH ME..."YES!" LOL!

IF AN ITEM HAS NO PRICE, I ASSUME IT'S NOT FOR SALE OR IT'S SIMPLY "FREE!"

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
cool I thought I'd give my 2 cents since I sell signs/antiques for a living! cool
I have set up at midwest shows for 8 years now and have tried having my items BOTH priced and UNpriced!
Through trial and error I have concluded EVERYTHING must be priced!
No matter how shocking the figure, IT MUST BE PRICED!
I have had items unpriced to find that ALOT of people just won't ask???
I have also seen vendors that don't price their items. End of the day they can't figure out why their sales are down???

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If any area needs cleaned up in this section...IMO...is a consistant method of contacting the seller of intent to purchase the item.

Sometimes it says email me..sometimes pm me...sometimes don't pm me..sometimes only post here.

I've seen more problems over someone thinking they were in on an item only to find out a deal had been worked out via back door channels.

IMO..if it's listed here then the first one to post that they want the item should get it. But that's just me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WHEN I AM SEARCHING FOR A ITEM , I AM ALSO SEARCHING FOR A PRICE! "NOT ALWAYS" BUT IN SOME CASES A PRICE CAN TELL YOU A WHOLE LOT ABOUT THE ITEM,THIS IS USUALLY TRUE WHEN I KNOW THE SELLER,AND KNOW THE QUALITY OF HIS STUFF! OR.... WEATHER I'M SHOPPING AGAINST THE ITEM I'M LOOKING AT ,A PRICE IS VERY IMPORTANT,ITS A GUIDE, FOR ME ANYWAYS,AND ITS ALSO WHAT THE SELLER IS ASKING IS ASKING FOR THERE ITEM! AND A PRICED ITEM,DEFINITELY CUTS OUT SOME OF THE B.S THAT COMES WITH SELLING A ITEM! "TIRE KICKERS"

WHERE DOSE THIS FALL, CATEGORY WISE??? MAKE OFFER?

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...seems to me that everybody should know the price of an item for sale, tire-kickers or not...I know I find it a little irritating when I see stuff offered on this and other sites with 'email for price'...how about allowing everyone get an idea what stuff is bringing, and not just the 'money is no object' crowd?...might level the playing field (see American Pickers)...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I am buying it, I want to know the price up front with out having to ask. At a show, unless I really want it, if it does not have a price, I walk on by. If I am selling something and am not up on what it should sell for, I would like to take offers on it in the hope of getting top doller. If it is a high doller item, the buyer and seller may want to keep what was paid for it private.

For this site, while I would like to know the price without having to ask, I do not think there should be a rule requiring it.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If an item is not priced, I assume they are asking to much.
However you are always left wondering if you passed up a good deal. If it's for sale, please put a price on it.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with some that its nice to know the price but is it necessary to force people on how to sell their stuff ????

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No one is forced to put an item up for sale here.

We all agree to different policies before we can become members and post here. Why would requiring a price on an item to be sold be any different?

Not trying to cause a problem just asking a, in my opinion, simple question.

It has been pointed out, that we have had problems concerning items posted For Sale. A member posts a reply here stating they are interested in the item. When they don't hear back, they ask the question "What happened, I posted that I was interested" and they find out that the item was sold to someone else. A person who owns an item For Sale can sell it to whomever they want, just be "upfront" about it. If a "back-room" deal happens, let the person who spoke up first know. If you're smart you will do it in private and then hold your breath that the person who gets "hosed" doesn't let the rest of the membership know how you do business.

Also if you have an item for sale, sale the damn thing here. Unless you get no offers. We had a new person here, a couple of years ago who put items up for sale, got people throwing out figures and then pulled the items and put them on Ebay with starting bids gotten from those offerings.....

Sorry, fell off my soapbox, now I need to soak my .....

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
You go Bob!!

........Dave
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
IF YOUR A SERIOUS COLLECTOR YOU WILL CALL FOR CONDITION AND PRICE.DON'T ASSUME ANYTHING.A CALL IS ALWAYS BETTER FOR BOTH PARTYS.DON'T MESS WITH A GOOD THING.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If it's not priced, I don't call,PM or Email becauce if I do they know who I am and how to get in touch with me.Aint gonna do it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If John Doe is wanting to sell an item he knows what he wants for it... only reason for not posting what he wants is because he is afraid someone might pay more and he stands to loose $5 more dollars.

This happen to me about 4 years ago. Had a guy call me... said he was selling an item and wanted to know if i was interested. I said sure... what do you want for it... he said make me an offer... i said i don't like making offers. He told me a price and i said ok... he said well i must have sold it to cheap because you bought it to fast. Then tells me it doesn't matter he made 4 times his money anyway.
Really! That happend to me by a member here on this site.
I believe if you have something you want to sell put it on the site and ask a price. If it doesn't sell try ebay... still doesn't sell come back to oldgas and lower your price if you want. If you have an item you found but know nothing about ask what it worth and then post it for sale in the for sale section.

Keep in mind asking people to buy items in the showcase is not allowed! That has been a rule for many years and some forget that from time to time. People posting stuff they have bought for there collection don't like to be bugged about selling it.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I get phone calls & emails every day from people who don't know what they want for a sign & while i don't like making offers i don't turn them away especially if its a good piece....i believe you should let a person sell his item how he feels is best for them, even ebay does not force you to list your asking price, neither do reserve priced auctions, newspaper ads, etc...

I think we all agree that it is easier to sell a piece if a price is listed.

The real story here is if it should be mandated to always put a price when listing something here for sale.

Ryan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What if we broke this down to 3 seperate sections.
A For Sale,where you must state a price.
A Trade section,where you state you're looking for something comparable.
An OldGas only auction section,where you state an opening bid & by what increnements & what time/day it ends.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I'd add one more section to CP's list "What is it worth?" but only for stuff you would like to buy and need help to make an offer on. Should not be to used to put price on for sale items here or any other sites.
Jim, I'm sure glad to see how you listen to the users of the board, there are a couple of places that don't. Thanks for being a Great Host! tt

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a seller from time to time on oldgas I have had decent results with priced items and auction style sales. However, what does it matter if an item is priced? If you want it you'll ask. You're cutting off your nose to spite your face if don't ask about an item you really want just because it is not priced in plain view. I personally like a priced item because everyone gets the same price. Not always the case when you have to inquire. But that really doesn't matter. To mandate a price be shown is more regulation that's not needed. Price it or not, those that want it will call or email. Leave things the way they are. Remember to send a small piece of sales to oldgas from time to time for the opportunity to sell to an interested audience (not required, just the right thing to do)

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I really don't see what the issue is with putting a price on items that are for sale.

Sounds like a pretty simple concept.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We keep this up and we will have 3 forum pages just for "For Sale" items. Think there's problems now, wait until; I want to sell this item but which category do I have to put it in?

I want money so I need to put a price on it; category 1,
but if someone has something to trade I don't want to miss out; category 2,
but I want to get the last dime out of it, so a 7 day auction would be nice; category 3
but....... (just add another category and keep going)

Hell, we break it down too much and it will be like Ebay, one item be sold in 4 or 5 different categories. And Oldgas is like 1/1000th the size of Ebay.

I think Jim was trying to simplify things not complicate them.

Everyone has their own opinion on what is needed and some voice them here, so far with this reply there are 36 replies and they are all over the place. But the actual voting by a very large margin is put prices on the items. With a total of 77 votes for prices, 18 votes for best offer/auctions and 16 for no pricing.

Sounds as if the "silent Majority" is speaking very loudly!! grin

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The title "For Sale or Trade" is redundant, in my opinion. After all, are we not "Trading" money, for the object of our desire? Thats not to say, that this forum is incorrect, just to reitterate what Bob is saying. Lets not complicate the issue.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
I don't know that everybody who is voting is truly voting for what Jim asked.

Just because you think everybody should post prices (which I agree with) doesn't necessarily also mean that you think oldgas should MANDATE a price in EVERY listing.

Lets think about this.

You have to post a price or your listed will be deleted? That does not sound right to me.

How about, if you don't put a price, you get the boot? How about NO on that one too.

Do we really need more rules?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ryan, I am going to ask a "smart *****" question(s), but I do think they have merit;

Do we need any rules or mandates? If we do, shouldn't everyone be treated the same under them?... My answer; yes

Do we need the Moderator's, for 90+% of the time?... Again my answer; yes

If it is decided that all "For Sale" items need pricing and if an item isn't priced, wouldn't the Moderator just drop the seller a "note" reminding them the item needs pricing?

When I run afoul of the rules (which I have on a few instances). I get a gentle reminder from a Moderator or Jim, that I did something wrong, why would this circumstance be any different?

How about making it simple, if you have posted over 5000 times, you have one set of mandates..... over 3000 times another set .... 1000 times....etc.... Thinking about that solution...I don't really think that would work.
Or... just make it real simple and make it the same for everyone?

Have pricing, don't have pricing, leave it up to the seller (oh, wait that's the way it is now).... I will live with any decision made, as will most if not all here..... IMO, either leave it as it is or mandate pricing, seems pretty easy from where I'm sitting.

Oldgas Mandate's other rules, why would this one.... how ever it is decided...... be any different?

I'm done, I've taken up too much of everyone's time reading my BS, LOL grin

Last edited by Bob Richards; Tue Mar 23 2010 09:46 AM.

Do you think the moderators really need more to do? Is there already not rules in place that at times can be hard to mandate? Do you have any idea the amount of time it takes to read each and every topic every day to ensure everybody is playing nicely? Sometimes I think the people who volunteer their time to help this great site are forgotten about. There are consequences to every action we put into place. Is everybody thinking about the whole general picture, of just what they want personally?

Sometimes, I get really busy during the day and cant watch the site like I would like to be able to. Usually I am on here somewhere around 20-25 times per day. Sometimes not.

I just disagree that this should be a rule, but will embrace which ever path we choose. I have a very open mind and can see both sides of the argument.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Ryan. The moderators don't need more to do. Price it or not. Buy it or not. Don't mandate pricing.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Bob Richards

Hell, we break it down too much and it will be like Ebay, one item be sold in 4 or 5 different categories. And Oldgas is like 1/1000th the size of Ebay.

:

i guess i don't understand, since we are only 1/1000th the size of ebay, we should have more rules & regulations than them?? hence forcing people to prices their items.....what next,the price police ???.....please don't get me wrong, i think its very wise to put a price on your item thats for sale, but leave that up to the seller, please don't tell us how to sell...if you want to price your item, beautiful, if you don't want to that should be your choice & not anybody elses...........if somebody wants to get an extra $5 or they choose not to price it, thats their business, you don't have to buy it, walk on by .......to put it bluntly i believe most of us know a couple of people we would not want to sell to in the first place,....there are other reasons as well.......some people don't want the whole internet to know what they paid for an item etc., etc.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I guess i don't see it... i don't know of anyone that posts something for sale and doesn't know what they want for it. How hard is it to just put a price there?

I have never seen people get so upset about someone suggesting "for sale" items should be priced. Why waste everyones time by e-mailing or calling to find out it's more than you want to spend or it's sold?

I don't think it should be a "rule" but just be curtice to other guys/gals here.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I usually put "make offer" because I do not want to chase away people by thinking it is too high, and then most of the time their offer is higher then I would have asked for it.

---> Sometimes I really do not know what it is worth, and any offer is what I end up taking.

------> Sometimes there offer is lower then what I know it is worth on ebay but I do not care because I consider it sold to a member of oldgas – last time I did this was with an original Ottawa Visible Glass Cylinder in mint shape – sold it for like 300 or something on here – on ebay it would have gone for what – 500+?

---------> But then again, when I see something that says "make offer" I think they probably want to freaking much for it so I pass.

I am with Ryan. And I don't like change anyway...

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

P.S. I do not price anything at my garage sales either - I tell them make an offer - what is it worth to you to take it.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
leave it as is. you can please some of the people some of the time,but ya cant please all of the people all of the time!if you dont want to call cause an item doesnt have a price,thats up to you.if i call and get it dont be mad at me or oldgas.jmho

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Well said there Mick smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Maybe a detailed explanation of proper Etiquette is needed, instead of forced RULES?
You wouldn't want to sit and eat with someone who has disgusting table manners would you?

I think getting "slammed" to page three, 1 or 2 hrs after posting is more of a concern than a price.
There is no telling how many times I have seen 5 or more posts from one person selling 5 or more items throw everybody to the next page. Then if someone else comes along and does the same thing, the first page is full of two peoples ads.
That, in my opinion , is improper use.

Maybe a list of proper Etiquette needs to be derrived from this post?
Besides if I have to ask the cost, I can't afford it..no biggie.
It won't kill me not to have it and if it did I wouldn't be able to take it with me anyway.

Just an 'ol computer guys 1-9/10ths cents worth.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I definitely think that we DO NOT need to add more forums to separate for sale, trade or auction type listings. That just makes more work for the moderators, and more different categories for me/us to check everyday.

There are some very good points that were posted!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just keep it simple, not so complicated, Every one should just use common sense when posting some thing for sale here. But I guess that's why were discussing this and wasting time.

A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
We are debating this after our opinions have been posted.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Keep it as is

D
D
My humble opinion is I'd rather see a price. I'm a bit of a rube when it comes to a lot of this stuff. If I see something I want and I figure it's worth 100 bucks, but it's something rare, that I'm ignorant on, I don't want to offer a guy 100 if it's worth 2000 and look like a jerk. You guys know more about this than me, but I'm having a lot of fun collecting and don't want to look like I'm insulting someone.

THANKS!

DD

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think it should be mandated that items be priced......but if an item isn't priced I probably won't call.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
No need for rules on to price or not to price.

My personal opinion: ALWAYS price the item....if the seller doesn't know the value, research it.

Collect small Oklahoma Oil Co.'s 1920's-1940's. Barnsdall, Cushing, Eason, Marland, etc.

Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
We appreciate your comments as well as the votes. Always better to listen to multiple perspectives before making a decision.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think I'm going to agree with Tara Worsham , leave it as it is . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am up in the air on this one. I try not to ask if there is no price. BUT my vote is up for sale if someone wants to make a reasonable offer. I have an idea what my vote is worth, but please make me a suprising offer.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: eshaver
I think I'm going to agree with Tara Worsham , leave it as it is . Ed Shaver

Problem...I vote that there MUST be a price. So, that would mean that you disagree with me. wink

V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Originally Posted By: Double D
My humble opinion is I'd rather see a price. I'm a bit of a rube when it comes to a lot of this stuff. If I see something I want and I figure it's worth 100 bucks, but it's something rare, that I'm ignorant on, I don't want to offer a guy 100 if it's worth 2000 and look like a jerk. You guys know more about this than me, but I'm having a lot of fun collecting and don't want to look like I'm insulting someone.

THANKS!

DD

This is how I feel on here, but should add that I never pursue a purchase on anything if the seller has not listed a price. I have bought 3 cars in 2 years and looked at hundreds of ads online and I never called or emailed one that didnt list a price. Its a waste of my time and maybe the sellers. I also think that if a price is listed, it eliminates or at least reduces the so-called "tire kickers" As far as the "policy" here, it wont effect me because I just dont pursue anything without a price. I think sellers would benefit if a price was listed.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi-My remarks that started this debate-Lots of great opinions and ideas-I think that anyone who posts without prices should have gotten the hint-It they do not have prices its to their disadvantage-One of the things I like about this great site is that there are not a great pile of rules- There are some times- like the Great collection that John Jarvis posted- that it would be impossible to list all the prices if it was required--- I for one hate to see a pile of stuff at a show or swap meet with no prices- most of the time I just pass on by-
MY Vote Now would be to strongly suggest for sale items be priced but not required- The poster is the one that suffers the most- thanks Don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: 5 quart
MY Vote Now would be to strongly suggest for sale items be priced but not required- The poster is the one that suffers the most- thanks Don

I agree with Don on this 100%!!

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Oldgas Offline OP
OP Offline
I think Don hit the nail on the head with this. The seller who doesn't price his item automatically suffers by limiting his business to only those who make the effort to ask, many potential buyers don't ask.

Many of the sellers who don't price appear to be new to the hobby. Some don't have a clue and don't want to spend time to research. In my opinion, we would send them away if we had a strict "must price" rule.

I'll discuss these issues with the other moderators. A big thanks for all the opinion votes and comments.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Don....leave as is....

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved