#180180 Fri Mar 19 2010 12:13 PM
B
badgas Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
B
Found this on the local Craigslist.

Estate Sales Becoming a Combative Sport?? (Bay Area)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-03-18, 11:12PM PDT
Reply to: see below

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after seeing these post about people with sold stickers and list being posted weeks before sale. My theory of Estate Sales becoming a Combative sport, is becoming more and more true. I expect to see this in the next Olympic games. I go to estate sales every Friday for the reason I need to make money and enjoy the hunt for treasure. But what I see on a daily basis is that these people aren't doing this as a hobby or money making, they are doing this as a reactional sport. Most of these people are addicted to sales, no one follows the rules of you must double or triple your money on an item...they simply buy buy buy. The reason behind this? Is the simple fact; they don't want anyone else to have it. Don't believe me? Wait until after one of these people looks at something, go up and start looking at it, call a friend discuss it....and what do you want to beat this person will come back and say I was buying that! Its all a competitive sport, when you get them stares while in line from these people that think there ***** don't stink and I'm better then you. You know they are addicted. If your like me and try to start a conversation with someone in line while you wait 2 hours, you see no one wants to talk to you. They are on a mission! For these sold stickers, that is a bunch of donkey *****, you'll even notice these people won't even buy half the stuff after they find out the prices. This whole thing can start a novel set; like harry potter. Just like why do people setting up estate sales, price everything via ebay completed auctions? even if the item never sold? Are these people trying to clear out the estate? or do they want to haul it all around for 10 years? My theory if you have an interested buyer...SALE..SALE!!! And whats up with these people standing in line for 2 hours to buy a used broom, expired food, grandma's bloomers, wine turned vinegar or a half way used bottle of shampoo? 95% of these people have serious mental issues and problems. I go to the sales with this in mind, if its meant to be it will be! Welcome to the wonderful world of California Combative Sales!!!

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1650917961

I have to agree with everything the writer had to say.

badgas #180181 Fri Mar 19 2010 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"ANOTHER CRAIGSLIST AD"

SOME OF YOU GUYS HAVE NEAT PUMPS! I'LL GIVE YOU THAT! BUT WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU GETTING YOUR PRICES FROM! THE GAS MANIFOLD IN YOUR PUMP COULD BE 14K AND I WOULD NOT BID ON YOUR PUMP,OR CALL AND ASK ABOUT YOUR PUMP!
THERE IS A BOOK OUT THERE WRITTEN BY JACK SIMS ITS A GENERAL PRICE GUIDE FOR GAS PUMPS,I RECOMMEND LOOKING INTO THE BOOK!THATS WHY YOUR E-MAIL IS EMPTY REGARDING YOUR POSTING ON GAS PUMPS,YOU WILL NEVER SELL YOUR PUMP WITH THOSE KIND OF PRICES! I WANT TO MAKE A NOTE, THERE ARE SOME FELLOWS ON HERE THAT KNOW THERE PUMPS, AND DO A HELL OF A JOB ON THEM,AS FAR AS RESTORING,YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE,THIS IS NOT AIMED AT YOU! ANYONE WHO TRULY KNOWS PUMPS ,GETS EXACTLY WHAT IM SAYING!prices used to be a bit higher ,BUT NOT CLOSE TO WHAT SOME OF YOU ARE ASKING,LOOK INTO WHAT YOUR PUMP IS TRULY WORTH,,TURN OFF THE HISTORY CHANEL ,AND DO YOU RESEARCH! I MOVED A ERIE FIRE CHIEF PUMP IN 24 HOURS LAST WEEK THAT WAS VALUED AT 550,NOW THAT PRICE IS BASED ON UN-RESTORED MINT,MEANING ALL PARTS ARE THERE,AND SKINS ARE IN GOOD SHAPE,THE REPRO GLOBE ON PUMP WAS100 BUCKS! I SOLD FOR $450.00 MY BUYER WAS HAPPY, I MADE A LITTLE MONEY,AND LIFE GO'S ON ! SOME OF YOU THINK BECAUSE YOUR PUMP IS OLD ,ITS WORTH A FORTUNE????? "WRONG" THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT,ENJOY YOUR PUMP !

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
DIESEL #180212 Fri Mar 19 2010 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Shows like "American Pickers" have ruined hobbies like this. Nearly everyone of us, has offered somebody, much more that what their item was worth, ($500.00 for a Tok 39, dented, rusted, broken glass, missing parts) just because we liked them, and we were being nice, only to be told "NO" because they saw one just like it sell for $8,000.00 on a TV show!!!! The irony is, we go back a week later, its gone, we and we ask, only to find out that they paid somebody to haul the junk away....

By that same token, I'm sure that many of us have offered something for sale, under market value, only to have some "Hotshot Wanna be TV star" offer much less than the sale price....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #180317 Sat Mar 20 2010 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Years ago I was given all the rusty cans I wanted to dig out of a fallen down building. I took a bunch to Pomona Swap, set them on ground. Guy walks up, how much for this can ? $5, he offers $3 sets the can down & is getting his wallet out. I stomped the can & said OK, I'll take $3 !
He was Pi$$ed, said he had been looking for that can a long time.

At a swap you price a pump to sell, guy ask What's your Best price then offers 1/2-3/4 of it. You decline the offer, he walks away. 3hrs later he is back, he has decided to pay the Best price. I can't do that, I sold it 10 min. after you left for what I was asking before I gave ya My Best price.

Dick Bennett #180325 Sat Mar 20 2010 06:15 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
My story involves my ex-wife. We were set up selling everything at some kind of sale. We had some dishes marked $.50 each, a lady handed a plate to my wife and asked her if we would take $.25. My wife dropped it on the concrete and said "no."

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #180326 Sat Mar 20 2010 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Travis? Where are ya'?

Some of us remember he didn't help us a few years ago

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
st.rod #180335 Sat Mar 20 2010 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick: Wouldn't a simple "no" have sufficed?? LOL We had a garage sale once and it just opened when a guy offered me 5 cents a book for ones marked 25 cents. I said I would throw them out first and the guy got mad at me. Said I couldn't do that and that I had no right.....Now this guy is standing in my garage lecturing me at 7:00 in the morning. My wife, who looked like she was a customer, came and picked up the box and said, "What a brgain....I will take them." She then paid me and walked them out to her car that was parked on the street. Boy was that guy ticked. I looked at him and said, "Snooze you lose." He stomped out of there so hard I think he left dents in the cement driveway. We laughed about that all day.

Last edited by Alex; Sat Mar 20 2010 08:37 PM.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #180339 Sat Mar 20 2010 09:48 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Are the Streets in Butte paved ? LOL

Dick Bennett #180380 Sun Mar 21 2010 09:31 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Alex that is a good one. I dont think I could of held my tongue to that guy!!!!

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
gasoildude #180613 Mon Mar 22 2010 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Umm...I thought the whole idea of a swap meet was to haggle and negotiate on prices.

No offense, but stomping on your item because someone offered you a lower price is a little out there DB. Must be from California. smile

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Ohio Oil #180643 Mon Mar 22 2010 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Seems to me that Dick did "haggle and negotiate" on the can.

He said $5, the buyer countered with $3. Dick considered the offer, made a $5 can into a $3 can in his opinion and accepted the offer. The buyer reconsidered his offer and withdrew it.

Definitely a "west coast negotiation" and no one got harmed in any way, LOL.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #180648 Mon Mar 22 2010 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reminds me of the time when I had a lawn mower setting out during one of our yard sales. Some guy started haggling with Michelle, telling her it was missing parts and letting her know all that was wrong with it. Once she was able to get a word out she said, "It's for free". He quickly carried it off. It was marked free but he must have missed the sign.
Mike

bruzer75 #180656 Mon Mar 22 2010 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Brother Bob. ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #180780 Tue Mar 23 2010 12:50 PM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
I'm one of those guys sometimes offering 60% of the price. Worst I can hear is no. I've heard yes enough to keep doing it.

Havent had anyone ruin something in front of me because of it.

I'm cheap and always will be.
Mark

marxmobilgas #180781 Tue Mar 23 2010 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Expression was priceless!
Found in a dump, returned to a dump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved