Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Hello all, have been cruzin the site and wow what a lot of info.
I have wanted a gas pump to put in my man cave and found one this weekend, probley paid too much but hey I wanted it. Yes another what is this pump question???

What I do know is its a Southwest Pump Co. the id tag is missing,is it a Southwest 40 ? , the colors seem like Texaco or Mobil, I think Southwest made a lot of pumps for Gulf.
Any info would be great... thanks
[img]http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf...mageID=44538549[/img]
hope I added the pic right, not showing up in the preview

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
OP Offline
well what ever I did it was not right, just made a link to the pic

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well king crow welcome! i just bought a southwest pump recently model# 45,here are some pics if this helps you any trying to identify your pump!i still have to go pic mine up ,so its not in my cave quite yet!paid for two pumps,now the hard part,finding time to drive 4 hours to pick them up! anyways, i would love to see some pics of your southwest! welcome aboard!

2ass.jpg 3ass.jpg 4ass.jpg

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
OP Offline
Thanks for the welcome Diesel, I think I have the posting pic thing fiqured out

sw pump 4.jpg

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard. Looks like a great start to the collection of what most Wife's call insanity.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: bruzer75
Welcome aboard. Looks like a great start to the collection of what most Wife's call insanity.
Mike
man bruzer,thats a under statement,my wife has a full blown problem ,with my hobbies!until we go antique shopping,then its all ok for a little while! then suddenly she flares up again,when i step in the garage?? she'll get over it! great pump king crow,i cant wait to get home and look yours up! i cant recall seeing your pump,but it states in the book that there are many southwest pumps models that were not listed,because of lack of advertising and what not from southwest! "something" to that effect!anyways i'll check for ya and let you know! have fun with your pump & make room for more! thats something you will here often around here and theres tons of truth to that!

Last edited by diesel; Wed Mar 03 2010 12:59 PM.

CHRIS
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice pump Kingcrow! and....Welcome!

North on Route 66,

East on Gas Alley.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
welcome to the madness!!

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Southwest
70 had a power-operated hose reel (1948-1954)
72 & 72CR (1948) Long reach hose
Both were valued at $225.00 ea. in June, 2008.

Pictured on pages 255 & 256 of my book.

Appears to be missing the SW badge above the face.

I have sales literature and possibly a parts manual for this pump, email me if you are interested.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Greetings. You will enjoy this sight and help from the pro's when needed. Dont let the heavy hitters bother you, and enjoy the treasure hunts and restless nights..........

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Jack Sim
Southwest
70 had a power-operated hose reel (1948-1954)
72 & 72CR (1948) Long reach hose
Both were valued at $225.00 ea. in June, 2008.

Pictured on pages 255 & 256 of my book.

Appears to be missing the SW badge above the face.

I have sales literature and possibly a parts manual for this pump, email me if you are interested.

Jack Sim

jack on those pics i posted up above,do you have same literature for that model #45?if so i want it,let me know! oh and ,what is the true difference between #45 & #40 my id tag says #45 but is a spitin image of the #40 in the book? i was wondering what that was about? thanks

CHRIS
OP Offline
Thanks guy for the welcome, the pump has a place to mount a globe on top and all the lights work, I just want to do more research and find out if Southwest made any Texaco pump and what the colors were that it came in.

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Hi Kingcrow,

First of all Texaco didn't make pumps.Nor did any of the other brands to my knowledge although I think Conoco,Mobil and Sunoco owned M&S for awhile.

As to your question regarding the pump pictured,the colors suggest Mobilgas Special.Texaco never had a red and white pump to my knowledge and Gulfs were usually different.

But,as we say,to each his own!!! Oh, by the way,WELCOME!!!

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
kingcrow:
Keep in mind that Texaco didn't and still doesn't own every station that has a Texaco sign. With that in mind I am sure that S/W did sell pumps that were used to pump Texaco gasoline. Small locally owned station purchased their pump from the nearest petroleum equipment dealer, usually they were delivered red, and painted either by the jobber or the owner anything they wanted. Texaco might have had suggestions, but that was up to the owners of the pumps.
Texaco did own stations and leased them out. I at one time leased stations from Shell, Phillips and Sunoco, but it was not my responsibily to maintain the pumps. They were painted the way the oil company wanted them painted. Actually in the 1970s pumps didn't need much or any paint, they were mostly stainless steel.
When Texaco did buy pumps from say S/W, Texaco would specify what colors they wanted. This was in the form of blue prints supplied by Texaco (I have a number of these blueprints from a number of companies).
I don't want to get into the colors, the Texaco guys will help you there, but I do remember one pump was green and another was silver.

diesel:

The only difference between a 40 and a 45 is the meter, which you have probably already removed and thrown away.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Damn those Southwests are heavy...had an identical one, SOLID AS A ROCK

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
welcome to the site--i uselly travel thru your area in a couple of months

i am looking for a dr pepper model 81 soda machine--if you find one it will offset

your spending to make more money to buy more pumps

looking for spanish gas signs
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: tulareone

i am looking for a dr pepper model 81 soda machine--if you find one it will offset

tulareone I'll keep a look out for one, I am all going to swap meets, we have a huge one coming up at Texas Motor Speedway and this is dr. pepper country

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
OP Offline
Hey Jim thanks for all the info, the only reason I thought it might be Texaco colors is I saw a (can I say it on this site) fiberglass reproduction red and white Texaco pump in a barware magazine

Texoma Rat Rods
Texaco Stuff
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: tulareone

Dr Pepper never embossed any 81s, all they did was put their porcelain sign or decal on them, they were all generic vendorlator machines.

Last edited by bmclemore; Thu Mar 04 2010 08:38 PM.

Barry
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
KING CROW ,I TOOK THIS PIC A WHILE BACK,THIS IS YOUR PUMP,THE SOUTHWEST #40 OR 45 ANYWAYS,A FRIEND OF MINE PUT THIS TOGETHER BOUT A YEAR AGO!THOUGHT THIS MIGHT BE SOME INSPIRATION!

1SW.jpg

CHRIS
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved