Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#17873 Wed Aug 22 2007 05:22 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
chicken man... i see and share your passion. repros blow. however... saying that... IF marked clearly... no problem. its when its represented as real... then i got a problem... real big problem. to all of those that shot the chicken man down... wait till you get burned ONCE. might change yer' tune. just like ALL lawyers suck.... until you need one !!!. have a nice day.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17874 Sun Aug 26 2007 09:05 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I really fill for all you sign collectors. I think the peak of the signs are right around the corner thanks to scum thats selling the Ebay repos. I for one and I'm sure many others will not buy a sign because of these going around. They can hit them with hammers,Date them,bury them in the mudd and Rust stain them and make them look just like the ones on your wall.Those who knew the late Glen Tompson might remember the incident at Iowa Gas many Years ago when he sold a sign and then the guy wanted his money back and was made to give the money back because nobody knew if the sign was a repo or original. This will be the new trend which also scares away new collectors.If this guy keeps on selling these repos and I'm sure theres many others doing the same, all the real signs are not going to be worth much more then the repos only because nobody will beable to tell the difference. I agree with DOWN WITH THE REPO SIGNS. I Restore pumps and use Decals only. If some one wanted to use a pocelian sign YEARS AGO to restore a pump or what ever then they should have shoped for an original instead of people making repo signs.We dont need repo signs to finish our restorations when we have plenty of originals out there.Can you imagine what the real signs would be worth if there were never and Repos ever made?????Its to bad this guy dosnt live here in the US,I dont think he would survive long in this hobby or I guess with todays prices its more like a busness now?????????

#17875 Sun Aug 26 2007 09:23 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Drgaspump, I think we all would like the unmarked reproduction items to go away. Marked reproductions have a place in our hobby as well as all collecting. As for prices going down on original items, never happen! Furniture is reproduced every day, but the price of an American Highboy hasn't dropped. Neither has the prices on original vintage and antique rolltop desks, plus thousands of different furniture types. Original paintings still demand top dollar and paintings are the most reproduced items out there. You say you use decals, a reproduced item. So reproductions are part of your collecting. Lets all get on the same page (if possible) and complain about unmarked reproductions of all types. Maybe if we get a loud enough voice someone will pay attention and do something to stop the fraud.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#17876 Mon Aug 27 2007 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have they stopped the flow of Cocaine into the country...Have they stopped the meth labs....have they stopped child molestation,
Have they stopped murder??????
What? is every peice that is original going to have to be certified by a Governmental Board? All you can do is Protect yourself with information. There will always be fakes and crooks that sell them.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#17877 Wed Sep 05 2007 02:56 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
As a new collector, I totally agree with Drgaspump that new collectors will be scared off. I refuse to try to buy anything valuable enough to fake. I'm limiting myself to large common pieces until I can learn how to spot a fake. After hearing stories about people successfully passing fakes at the big Iowa show where there are tons of experts, I'm not sure if I ever will learn well enough to buy something valuable.

Is there a good web reference on how to spot fakes? It seems to me that there should also be a public database of fakes somewhere. I know there is a ton of information on this site, but it isn't organized in a way that folks can easily use it as a reference.

Tom
#17878 Wed Sep 05 2007 03:17 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
hi and welcome... a public database of fakes would probably be overwhelmed with the amount of garbage (repro) thats out there in petro alone. this site has the "known unmarked reproductions" forum but it rarely gets any posts. i don't have a real clear cut answer for you but if you post a pic of a sign, can, whatever of something you feel is questionable, the people on this site just might be able to help you. BUT also be aware that long time collectors have also been burned by the repro **** . double edged sword. tread lightly.

#17879 Wed Sep 05 2007 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
tagree0
Have you tried the SEARCH link at the top of all pages ?
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 09-05-2007).]

#17880 Wed Sep 05 2007 08:24 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
search for what.... REPRO ????

#17881 Wed Sep 05 2007 09:15 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Tagree, despite what you read here, as a new collector there's no need to be overly paranoid about fakes. Just buy from reputable sources. Aumann Auctions and Mathews Auctions will stand behind what they sell. There's good deals to be had, especially on common items. Read the magazines for the hobby and patronize their advertisers. If in doubt on Ebay, ask around here and ask the seller if they will guarantee authenticity. My $.02.

VJ

#17882 Thu Sep 06 2007 08:42 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I know a ton of info is on this site, but a person really needs to wade through everything to be safe. That is months or years of studying before you are really safe. I'm willing to do the work, but I think that will scare off a ton of new collectors just getting into the hobby--people who could really add to the hobby. I think a simple guide to spotting fakes (grommets, fonts, etc.) would educate old and new collectors to keep them from getting easily burned. However, it would also educate the guys making fakes to make better ones.

The reason I worry is that I saw several items on eBay that I liked (and even bid on a few) before I found this site. Then I found out they were fakes. I feel like I got burned even though I didn't actually spend any money on the fakes. It was an eye opener for sure.

The "search" feature works ok, but you have to wade through alot of stuff before you can find what you need.

Tom
#17883 Thu Sep 06 2007 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's like anything else. If you don't know about something, you have to invest the time and effort to research and learn. That's why it takes four years to go to college, takes 12 years to become a doctor. If you jump without looking, you are apt to get hurt. When I started collecting Texaco I had to learn all of the different styles of globes, fat t's, skinny t's, black outlined t's etc. Things that were made before 1940, things made after 1930. You get the drift. When I restored my Texaco Ethyl pump, I needed to find the right decal as there were a couple of varieties, etc.
Part of the fun of collecting is learning about the items. And, unfortunately, finding out what are fakes and what are not. I bought a Texaco doorstop that I thought was legit, found out two months later they were fantasy items. Not even reproductions, items that were just made up. Go look on ebay for Texaco marble bags and Scotty Terrier pinbacks. They are fantasy pieces. Some things we learn the easy way and some the hard way.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved