Next Thread
Print Thread
#174398 Wed Feb 10 2010 01:43 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Ebay item number 320481998571. I had this sign in my watch but didn't want to take a $100 gamble on it. It was listed as a reproduction sign. My thoughts were it was real, but doubt kept me from making a bid on it. First off to my knowledge the "Magnolia" signs like this haven't been repro'ed as far as I know, but I was worried the item received might not be the item pictured. After an ordeal with a seller last year I learned a pretty expensive lesson on that trick. The seller of this sign had some questionable feedback as well.
My only other reason for being reluctant to bid was the fact it said Texlite, Inc. and not the usual Texlite Dallas on it? (The S also looks a little bit odd to me?) Did some of these signs say INC instead of the usual Dallas? Maybe Richard W., Pegasus has some input? Did a fellow Old Gasser purchase this sign, and did it turn our to be a genuine vintage sign? If the real deal, which it very well could have been, then someone got a nice sign at a good price. Obviously if someone took a $90 gamble then someone else had the same thoughts that it wasn't a repro sign. Any thoughts from the masses?
Darin

Here is the sign in question.....

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
INSANITY:
DOING THE SAME THING OVER & OVER AGAIN AND EXPECTING DIFFERENT RESULTS! -ALBERT EINSTEIN

STICK WITH YOUR GUT FEELING! TRY TO REMEMBER THAT 1ST LESSON!LOL

CHRIS
BUYING ANYTHING EARLY HUMBLE OIL CO.
BUY SELL TRADE ORIGINAL GAS PUMP PARTS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darin, I am in no stretch of the imagination an expert on anything. Looking at the Collector's guide and reading the description of said sign there, looking at photos and seeing the photo here. The sign in question, looks bogus to me.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I had it on watch also, and I think the sign itself looks very much original. It is the design used in the Magnolia "territory". These signs has either an MC-AX marking, OR, a TEXLITE marking and can have either an open or a closed "a" in "Mobilgas.
However, I don't recognize the TEXLITE.INC marking on this sign. This and the seller explaining it is a repro, stopped me from bidding. Compare with this sign on Don 5quarts home page: http://oilnspeed.com/albums/v/gassigns/mobtexlite.jpg.html

br
Claes

ps IMHO this sign has not been reproduced before ds

Last edited by fast66; Wed Feb 10 2010 11:43 PM. Reason: added a "ps"
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
The one I already have I bought from Veedol Al and it has the MC-AX marking on it. With me the whole INC part was what really stopped me from bidding as the sign itself looked pretty good. I did notice however that the rivets on this sign are shiny, but on mine as well as others I've seen, the rivets are painted white. Not to say that Texlite ran out of painted rivets one day, but from what I have seen in the past the rivets are normally white on signs from this manufacturer.
I guess this will be a sign to watch for more to possibly show up in the future and be cautious with your purchase of one.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DARIN, I THINK YOU MEANT TO SAY GROMMETS! LOL!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Yes I did! Sorry....!

Darin Sheffer
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
It looks like a fake to me too. There is something not right about it.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
P
P
My vote is "fake". Plus the seller thinks that also.....you did the right thing, Darin....nothing.

Richard

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved