Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#171471 Sat Jan 23 2010 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
anybody have an idea of what a set like this is worth?up to 1968

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I was always a coin collector as a kid, I still remember which pennies and dimes are the hardest to find.
When I got into collecting petro stuff I found the coins. I started buying them. I have every set of coins ever put out by a oil company, with hundreds of duplicate coins. I even have about 5 sets of Shell coins from the Netherlands featuring their world chamption soccer team. I even have some mechanical, electric operated displays from Sunoco (who was in a race with Shell to see who put out the most coin sets) to display their latest coin set.
I believe your set was the original card and coins. You were given the card and a one coin the first week. Each week saw a new coin. Then if you filled the card you could return it to Shell and they would send you a set of "Silver" coins in a special holder. The Presidential set was one of their most popular.

Unfortunately they never appreciated in value, because everybody retained them. Years ago it seemed that everyday someone new put a set on Ebay. I don't think you can get $10.00 for the set on Ebay right now.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I REMEMBER COLLECTING THE COINS AS AN 8 YEAR OLD AND EVENTUALLY GETTING THE SET SHOWN HERE. IT ALSO HELPED THAT MY SISTER'S G/F'S B/F WORKED AT A SHELL STATION BACK THEN. WHEN THE PROMOTION WAS OVER I WAS GIVEN A LOAD OF THE ALUMINUM COINS. TOO BAD I RIPPED THE PAPER OFF ALL OF THEM. I STILL HAVE THEM SOMEPLACE....BOTH ALUMINUM AND THE BRASS SET.

HAVE NO IDEA ON VALUE BUT WOULD LISTEN TO ANYONE.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved