Next Thread
Print Thread
#171258 Fri Jan 22 2010 12:16 PM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I'm not a globe collector at heart, so what do you globe guys use on the ends of the hold down screws in the globe ring to cushion the glass? I just mounted a recently acquired globe to my pump, then drilled out pencil eracers half way through to fit on the ends of the small screws. I'm sure that this is rather "mickey mouse" to most of you! What do you use? Sam

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
well i dont use anything,i just tighten the screws till they are a little less than snug.of course i dont have any really high end globes either.have never had a problem.and just whats wrong with "mickey mouse"? wink mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wrap say duct tape around the bottom edge of the globe...enough for screws to hit but low enough that it can't be seen over the edge of the holder..

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Like Mick I don't have any high end globes, but I've worried about the screws hurting the paint on painted metal bodies or chipping glass globes. I've taken plastic wall anchors and threaded a machine screw into the wall anchor about 5/16", held onto the screw, and then cut off the rest of the anchor in a bandsaw. You could also put it in a vise and use a hacksaw if you don't have a bandsaw.

I then unscrew the remaining piece of wall anchor, thread the screw into a globe holder/base and then place the plastic piece back on the screw and tighten up on the globe. No paint damage and it doesn't hurt the glass.

I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but that's what I've done and it works great.

Mac

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You could also use the block off plugs that they use on carburetors. They come in random sizes & just slide on. smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
2-3 layers of Friction tape wrapped around the base of glass globes is a better/easier solution. A small amount wrapped on end of screws will work for painted metal body's.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Globes inside? If so just run the screws in till the touch glass and back off half turn. They don't have to touch the body as you can not remove a globe without really cranking the screws almost all the out.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
EXCEPT on the West Coast Jarvis, you don't want the the globe to shift during an Earthquake. And in your part of the country w/ Thunder storms that shake the house.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
after a big enough earthquake to break the glass bodies i think globes will be the last thing on your mind. LOL
Biggest thing is to keep something from knocking them over.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved