Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#169863 Tue Jan 12 2010 10:04 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I probably could have bought this part from Joe but thought I'd try to make one...I need to make all 3....for a computer I'm trying to redo. Made it from stainless and still need to grind the teeth, the black one being the old one I used for a pattern. The wire machine is "down" at work or would have just wired it out.
The round cyl. is a tool I turned up to straighten out a couple wheels that were bent/dented. Works pretty good, although I might machine a mating "anvil" for the really bad dents.
Oh well.......I keep reading that you guys like pics, and I like making widgets.

VR1.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I probably threw out 25 of the strips you made (I may even have some out in the garage still), and as far as the wheel straightner is concerned, mamy of us could have sold you a NOS wheel. I rather see you spend the money on making that pump of yours look better.

Throw out our needs to us, you might be surprised to see what help you can get.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
OP Offline
T
Jack, there's not a doubt in my mind that you guys don't have every part that I need now, or will need in the future, lol. Between 2 of the MS 80 pumps I have, I so far am working on putting one together out of the best parts from the two. The remaining less desirable parts are going together for a pump that I will give to a friend of mine. He doesnt want a pristine pump due to what he is going to use it for. In return I get my other pumps painted.(he's a first class bodyman, here's a frige he did for me) I'm one of those guys that will spend a dollar to save a dime, and I get enjoyment out of doing machinework. Do you ever wonder how some things were made? Me too, and I'll try to duplicate parts sometimes even when I could buy them for a reasonable amount....just to see if I can.
Not to worry though.....I'll spend money when I need to.
......It's a 1953 GE.

53 GE resize.JPG
Last edited by t00lmanii; Tue Jan 12 2010 10:54 PM. Reason: left out info
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
toolman: we do like pics, thanks for sharing!! Looks like you got some skill at machining and making parts. And..it's great you get so much enjoyment from it. There certainly is satisfaction being able to make something yourself even though you could get it elsewhere. I understand the sense of accomplishment. Good work!!

By the way...that is a very cool fridge.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Wow! I understand completely, the enjoyment you get from being able to make some different things like that! grin So many of us here share your feelings but have neither the equiptment or knowledge to operate them! It always makes me feel great when I'm able to fix or manufacture the needed part to finish the job! smile Congratulations!!
One more thought---=I'm currently working on the pricer wheels for a Wayne 40 and there aren't any NOS ones out there to use. Consequently, I have to straighten the wheels I have to the best of my ability and equiptment! Very limited equiptment, I might add! How hard is it to make another wheel straightener and could you do it and sell me one?? I like the idea of an anvil for it too. Let me know if you'd be willing to make another!
Again -----CONGRATULATIONS!!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nice work! Isnt what you do called "brain food" or some thing. My wife complains about all that I have going on. I am constantly thinking and hope I leave here with more started projects than I have going on now. I get the feeling you are making a Perfect PUMP. Thanks for the pic's

T
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: K W FRITH
Wow! I understand completely, the enjoyment you get from being able to make some different things like that! grin So many of us here share your feelings but have neither the equiptment or knowledge to operate them! It always makes me feel great when I'm able to fix or manufacture the needed part to finish the job! smile Congratulations!!
One more thought---=I'm currently working on the pricer wheels for a Wayne 40 and there aren't any NOS ones out there to use. Consequently, I have to straighten the wheels I have to the best of my ability and equiptment! Very limited equiptment, I might add! How hard is it to make another wheel straightener and could you do it and sell me one?? I like the idea of an anvil for it too. Let me know if you'd be willing to make another!
Again -----CONGRATULATIONS!!

K W, If you would care to send me a wheel that I could get dimensions off of I'll machine you a set of dies and return your wheel. The wheels on my VR 56A have embossed numbers, which limits what I can do with a set of dies. (The sizer die has to be the same inside diameter as the numbers, to prevent pushing the numbers out) I don't know what yours look like, but hopefully the numbers are not embossed.(would certainly result in a better finished wheel) My die fits my wheels, and then I gently tap around with a rubber mallet and get good results. PM if you want.

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Very nice work & sweet fridge smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
T
OP Offline
T
here's a die set I made this evening to do the "price per gal" wheels, along with a before/after shot of a wheel. Sorry about the pic quality.

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0141.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0147.JPG
T
OP Offline
T
another before/after of the same wheel.

IMG_0139.JPG IMG_0140.JPG
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very nice. Love the pictures.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use a socket and the butt end of a screwdriver & punches to press, roll, tap out spots like that....very cool.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
nice work and hot fridge.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun