Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#169081 Fri Jan 08 2010 08:04 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just saw this on ebay the guy is from Missouri and has not sold anything on ebay before. It also says unknown if its original or not. Seems fishy to me almost like someone has a new user name on ebay. I could be wrong but all these T53 seem to come from Missouri.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Porcelain-Mobil-Hors...=item33590d8ae3

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
he probably selling that "cord" of wood in behind the sign too!

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I emailed him and told him to change the status from unknown to repro. He emailed me back and asked how I new, so I told him. Also told him to check out the web site.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I emailed him the same info, hopefully he understands! If enough people email these sellers with the correct information, maybe it will educate some of them and make it harder for the con men to rip them off! Its a sad deal when someone gets possesion of one of these repops and doesn't know its a fake!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The seller asked: tell me how you know ?

I replied: From my education with reproductions in the Gas & Oil collectibles industry! There are several books that identify all of the advertising memorabilia ever made and Mobil is probably one of the most researched! Of course, there is no book on reproductions, and the con men rely on this lack of information for the average collector, in order to sell cheaply made reproductions for large sums of money!
This subject of the T-53 Pegasus , has been debated at length with some of the foremost collectors in the country and its been established that this particular sign is a direct copy of the large Pegasus "Cookie Cutter" sign. Doesn't the absense of mounting brackets alone, raise your suspicions?? Believe me that Mobil Oil never made this sign and every one that you'll ever see, is in GREAT shape because they were never in use! If you study old advertising signs at all, you'd know that there are never 2 alike unless they were unused! The T-53's were ALL unused! --KEVIN

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another thing with the t-53's they look like they were cut with a plasma cutter. All the edges are rough like cut your hand rough. It still seems funny that they all seem to come from Missouri

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well I got a response and this is it word for word...

" all the remakes i have seen have a white back the last guy that told my friend his sign was no good its sold for 44,000.00 in adv. auction"

I told him as nicely as possible that someone overpaid for a sign or they have no brains.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I don't know who had it, but there was one at "its a gas" in columbia last year. he had a pretty good price on it also. wonder if there wil be any this year??
I know someone on this board saw it besides me..

WANTED:::Barn Hangers...and other fine junk...
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well it sold for $355.00. I guess someone wanted a real expensive crappy sign.

Shawn Morris
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On ebay here are the #'s two more of these T-53 signs.
220557242254 160403453767
I know its like kicking a dead horse on these signs but maybe some body will read this and not buy a repro.

Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The guy with the expensive one has had some on there before and he's been told that they are repops. Notice how he doesn't exactly say its an old sign?? CROOK!

kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
You would think the buyers would notice that slimpickins only has 5 total sales and all of them are these rare t-53 horses. One of them sold for over $500.00. His sales still do not say whether they are or are not repro's.

s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You would think if you were going to spend that kind of money you would do a little research. I guess some people have more money than brains.

Shawn Morris
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Rare yeah right-Yet how many of these pieces of cr*p have been sold? Have we reached 50 yet?

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
oh im sure another one just got listed

Shawn Morris
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved