Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#168677 Wed Jan 06 2010 01:53 PM
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I have decided to hang my cookie cutter pegasus on the gable end of my garage!

Question is how best to do it.

Thought about making a light weight template to see where to hang it and locate mounting holes etc. Then the question about..should I re-inforce the wall on the inside?.. What anchors? etc.

Would love to hear all opinions. Have you done this?

Kind of worried about it becoming a wasp haven.

Thanks

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DEF USE RE-ENFORCEMNET ESP ON A SINGLE WALL.....GOOD INSURANCE. I HAD MY PEGASUS HANGING OFF ONE HEFTY BOLT SCREWED INTO MY LIVING ROOM WALL AND A LARGE WASHER AS WELL I THINK. THE BACK OF MY SIGN HAS SEVERAL KEYHOLE TYPE SLOTS. I USED THE CENTRALLY LOCATED ONE....WORKED FINE.

YOU DIDN'T MENTION WHAT MATERIAL YOUR GARAGE IS MADE OF. METAL? WOOD FRAME ...SHEATHING? CAN YOU POST A PIC OF YOUR INTENDED MOUNTING AREA?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Use insulators!! and an old furnace ignition transformer. just for fun. arn't they around 10,000 volts

st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I guess if I ask for help I should say what its going to be mounted on. The garage has a masonite lap siding. The Bat House that has never had a resident will go. Plenty of room above that window.

garage.JPG

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I dont know for sure but I think that the siding alone would not be strong enough to hold the sign. I would try to find a stud & use a couple of those to mount too. Being outside you would also make sure that it can not be blown down with higher winds.

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry, it will never hurt to re-enforce where the sign will hang. Re-enforcement will cut down on the possibility of gravity and/or wind damage to the sign, mounting points, interior wall and siding. Or at least that's my .02 of BS, lol.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
st.rod Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Can't remember off hand but I think there are 4 mounting lugs on the back. Kind of figured horizontal studs across the verticle studs of wall. Then some kind(?) of bolts. Just hate doing any job twice. smile

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I always try to use a anti theft screw or fastener when I hang my "junk" outside.

Barry
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Larry,
How heavy is it and what do the mounting holes look like? I assume from what you said, you have to be pretty accurate in lining up the holes? What kind of sheathing is behind the siding? I assume its at least 1/2" ply or OSB. If its OSB and the sign is fairly heavy, I would want to hit at least 2 studs. If thats not possible, you can reinforce with some blocking assuming you can get in the attic.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Larry: Not sure if you saw the "Pegasus Stolen in Montana" thread. It was mounted 35 ft in the air on steel reinforced beams and it was still taken down in broad daylight. Do yourself a favor...hang it inside the gargage.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I am sure that what the others have said about reinforcement etc is just fine, and I would just like to add...think about how you position it.
The "forehead" of the horse should be almost horisontal and just a bit higher than the upper tip of the wing.
I see so many positioned wrong, too much leaning forward. You propably already know this but here a picture of an original sign where the Pegasus is positioned correct.
Br
Claes

Pegasus.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IS THAT ACTUALLY ENOUGH ROOM TO HANG A COOKIE CUTTER OVER THAT WINDOW?

ONE WAY I'VE USED IN THE PAST TO HANG A SEMI HEAVY SIGN ON THE EXTERIOR OF MY GARAGE IS TO MOUNT A 2X4" CUT TO LENGTH/ANGLE. THEN I SLIPPED THE SIGNS EDGES OVER THE TOP AND BOTTOM AND USED FACTORY HOLES ON THE EDGES TO MOUNT THE SIGN TO THE 2X4 WITH BEEFY GALV HEX HEAD SCREWS...NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. ALTHOUGH I DON'T THINK COOKIE CUTTER PEGASUS' ARE TYPICAL OF HAVING ANY EDGE HOLES.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
OH, BTW...WASPS ARE PART OF THE TERRITORY! WOULD SUGGEST REMOVING SAID PEGASUS IN THE WINTER IF NEED BE! LOL!

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
To get the correct angle the seam (where the legs bolt on for the front legs) should be plum (verticle) and the seam for the back legs horizontal. It is impossible to hit studs that are 16" on center to all the mounting points. I made a flat plate and welded a bolt that hit the anchor point of the sign then drilled holes in the plate to screw into studs.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
HANG IT IN CALIF. Larry, WE don't have them Darn Critters where I live.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved