Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#168605 Wed Jan 06 2010 07:54 AM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well I got this idea from Vernmonter, and i figured i would start the thread. Coops427 36b is an awesome looking unrestored pump. So if you get time post a picture of your pumps that are unrestored and being displayed in you house, shop, garage, or outside. Here is one of mine its a Tok 39 tall. The signs, add glass and globe are all originals. The add glass and signs were on the pump when i bought it. This pump has been taken apart wet sanded and then put back together.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is a Bennett 541 that has been sanded down and then i took some five dollar paint and a paint brush and painted it. So i guess it is considered un restored. the add glass, signs, and globe are also original. The pump decal is the only repro part on this pump.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Good looking 39!!That effect is exactly what I'm after for my shop display.Did you just sand it?Then maybe wax it?Maybe clear coat it?I like a little shine,but don't want to give up too much "as found"apperance.

I've done a few pumps now and again,but have never done one like this.Thanks for the post.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I like it! A diamond in the rough

s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I just used 220 sand paper and wet sanded it. I didnt clear it but I think coops427 clear his 36b on buys of the year.

Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I love that look, Want to try something to that effect on my next pump restoration.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
There's just something about a displayed unrestored pump that looks way cool. I have couple of pumps that I've been thinking of leaving in the "as found" condition and this thread pretty much seals the deal for me. Would love to see some more!

CircaDesigns Looking for early AMOCO and SUNOCO items.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
"As Found" original pumps, this just happens to be my favorite topic in the hobby. Here is a Wayne 80 I did. I took this one apart. Wet sanded with 220 and put a coat of wax over the original paint to give it a "sheen". I didn't clear coat this one. I always repaint the bases, frames, and computers because they are always nasty to begin with. I then wet sand the bases and burn through the new paint. This gives them an old dull original look. I have many more original paint pumps in line waiting for their "rustoration".
Before:

During:

After:

-Matt
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is a few more in line for the "Rustoration" in 2010:

-Matt
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Those look good coops, and I do the same thing with the frames and bases. That 36b you have is really nice

Shawn Morris
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Coops,

I really like what you did on the 80.A little bit but not too much.Just enough to make them really displayable,IMO.Most "as founds"need a little help to fit into a display and I think you have found the balance.

By the way,I think we are going to see more and more of this in the hobby in the future.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This wayne 70 all original just took it to the car wash and put a cord on it, lights perfect.

wayne70.JPG
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here is one more that i have thats unrestored its a G&B 176. It stays in the garage since it wont fit in the house. Lets some pumps guys I know they are out their.

Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
got this one last summer. before and after got the idea from coops to wet sand ,and then i buffed it out.unfortunatly a guy made me an offer i couldnt refuse for it,and its now gone

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
this one will stay just like it is

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved