Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
the books that I have seen with these globs all say made in USA on the bottom and another globe person that has one also says same thing. what worries me is the rough feel on the back of lens. and like Javis said the "O" kind of oval.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Grind away the dimple in a metal body Before installing lens, OR hang from ceiling like it was made to do.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That 'rough' feel to the back is a pretty good indicator that it is an old lens.

The new reproduction lenses have a very smooth back to them as the frits used are MUCH finer ground than they were 'back in the day'.

Later . . .

Jim

T-way #168465 Tue Jan 05 2010 08:53 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I was going to say what Jim said. Personally I would be more assured it was old if it felt "rough". I have one old Mobilgas lens that has the "Made in USA" on it, and it's the only one I've seen with the wording and I know it's original. I thought I had read before that the big companies used several different lens manufacturers and some have wording and some don't? I wouldn't have had any second thoughts on this lens if I seen it in a shop somewhere.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I've seen original lenses in Canada say made in USA. Could these lenses be made for destibution in Canada? Richard

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Interesting thought Richard. That very well could be the case, that marked USA lenses were made for "foreign" distribution maybe? Foreign being any place other than the US I guess since I'm unaware how broad the marketing territory was for Standard?
Something not brought up yet is this. Hi Octain, did you buy this item as an original and then have second thoughts on it's authenticity or did you buy it as a repro and pay a repro price hoping you were getting a great deal? I would hope that anyone on here if in doubt would pay a repro price if they liked it and wanted it, then be suprised if it turned out to be authentic IF they had any doubts about it. I'd rather play it safe than get burned, even though it looks to me like you are OK!
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved