Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ok here we go again. I have a Fry 117 that has the exterior shades, no problem, but another light has to get wired in to illuminate the cylinder from above shining down right? Do most visibles have a bulb shining down throught their flat glass on top of the cylinder? You know the one with the chicken wire inside the glass. Any pics would be cool also. Thanks

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as far as i know most visables had no light to light the cylinder.some may have.the exterior lights were what you had.(and the globe of course)if you wanted to do that it woudnt be too hard,i am thinking of putting light in the actual cylinder on a couple of 515s that i am gonna use for patio lights.wont know for sure until i see how it looks.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I see the reinforced glass that sits on top of the cylinder so I thought to install a light there to illuminate the cylinder a bit. Can't hurt as long as you don't see the bulb from the ground level when looking up into the cylinder. Maybe mount it on the globe side of that flat glass panel?

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
light from globe will also throw some illumination on it,maybe not a lot.hey if its what you want do it.

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Just maybe a 25 watt but you are probably right the shade exteriors will throw light and the globe will also. Maybe will play around and se what it looks like

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"I have a Fry 117 that has the exterior shades, no problem, but another light has to get wired in to illuminate the cylinder from above shining down right?"
NO
"Do most visibles have a bulb shining down through their flat glass on top of the cylinder?"
NO Some do, some don't & some never had either.
Where on your Mae West is there a Chicken Wire Glass ?
Wire connections are made inside the globe cup.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Frys 10s have 2 lights on each side of the cyl and one light in the globe. Most of my pumps I work on are this way.

Fry 5's have a light in the globe - no lights outside - some of my ottawas have no lights outside one hays is this way.

I only worked on two G&Bs one t-177 and one t176. the 176 had a glass with chicken wire below the globe cup that had a light sitting above the glass/chicken wire that lit up the gas in the cyl and then another that went up in the globe.

sorry can not type more - darn tired...

Travis
Topeka, Kansas

Last edited by travis_towle; Sun Jan 03 2010 06:29 PM. Reason: too darn tired
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Travis thanks. The "chicken wire" I referred to was on my American and I beleive also on my Tok 280. Can't remember now but thanks for the explanation. Just wanted to make sure a bulb does get wired above that plate althought the Tok 280 has outside fixtures just under the massively heavy cast top so maybe that's enough light.

Kris Strong
K
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hey Chris, That 280 just has the 2 lights under the cast top and I must say it looks awesome with just those 2 lights. It lights up the cylinder perfect. Kent.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You would say that Kent. I had my doubts that you would tell me that Tok is an ugly pump:) Thanks

Kris Strong
K
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
K
The pics in Jack's book don't do that pump justice. That pump has a lot more charicter in person. A guy could take a shinein to that pump! Don't let that cast iron top get the best of ya tho!!! Kent.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You could turn that thing into a shower for guests. I about died trying to stand it up by myself without the skins on...

Kris Strong

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved