Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#167764 Fri Jan 01 2010 09:13 PM
OP Offline
My wife bought me a Bowser 575 last month for our anniversary. It is a nice reminder of when we started dating in the early 80's and I worked at a Standard service station in Indiana. It just so happened that a guy just down the road from us had this pump and it included repro Standard Indiana signs. He was willing to part with it for what she thought was a reasonable price after asking a few local antique people. She hasn't told me how much she paid, but I think she would like to know if she really got a deal.

I would like to identify the year of manufacture a little more precisely than the 1941-1948 for 575's I have seen in other posts here. The serial number plate is pretty bad, but I think I can still make out the stamped numbers: 575 and 7426640 and A349213.

I would apprecate any info on this particular unit. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

By the way, this site is awesome! I look forward to learning more from what looks like a thriving Petroliana community.

-Kent

bowser575_small.JPG bowser_serial_plate.JPG
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
First of all, Welcome to Oldgas. That looks like a pretty nice pump for a "First" pump. A few oil cans, maybe a map or two.... Before you know it, you'll have that stuff all overe the place.

As far as the year of production, maybe Jack Simm can answer that.

BTW. Gas pumps are kinda like rabbits. Before you know it, ya' got a whole bunch of them. But you're the lucky one. Your wife got you into this. LOL. Welcome to the madness.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
OP Offline
Thunder II: I think you are right about the likely trend of collecting stuff. We were in a Famous Dave's restaurant two days ago and they just happened to seat us in the Petroliana room that we had no idea existed. We look around and then my wife started talking about how this or that would look good in my new garage. I guess it was meant to be!

OP Offline
Here is another pic of my "new" Bowser. It is missing some trim and the glass on the other side is cracked, but it is in pretty good shape overall. Anyone have any pointers to online resources or books with color pictures of Standard pumps so I can check out what they looked like?

Thanks,
Kent

BowserWithGlobe.jpg
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Year: 1947

-Matt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don't forget to accessorize !!! laugh laugh wink

I still have 25 of these left if you are interested
24" X 18" porcelain...2008 USA...93 made ( by Americans!!)(not a good picture)

I can also make your computer look & work better too. wink

over 20 yrs exp.
Thanks
Joe

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #167809 Sat Jan 02 2010 08:54 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Welcome Kent where are you in Illinois? I think that was my brothers pump but not sure. Did it come from Danville or Tilton? George

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Good looking pump there Kent smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The "Guide to Gas Pump Restoration" available here at our bookstore, http://www.oldgas.com/pp_books.htm has numerous pages, of different company pumps, by company, then years of use. It has the different decals and globes, as well as color codes. But if you plan on a repaint, its usually best to get your decals, then mix the paint to match. As far as other accessories... Oil cans & maps are easy to find on e-bay and the various "Petro" swap meets. I'm also partial to oil dispensers, commonly called "lubesters". They're affordable, and in my opinion, and un-appreciated piece. I'm sure that some day, they'll be bringing big money. Make lots of room. It seems like your Wife is willing to help. Thats a Keeper!!!!

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
OP Offline
The pump came from the Peoria area. So there are more Bowser 575 Standard pumps out there in Illinois!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
She felt the price was right & didn't spend Hours/Days/Gas looking for a farm fresh rusted out POS.
Does she check the Jewelry stores to make sure you got a Good Deal on something you bought her ? LOL

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Man that pump came 45 min from my house smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Hey Kent,
Welcome to Old Gas. Thats some pump and wife you got!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved